Speedy's Disneyland Vacation Planner

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by speedwaystar1, Jun 3, 2019.

1. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

It's official people :
    I'm going to Disneyland !!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Currently I have very little planned but it's happening , Jan 20th 2010 / 9 days
    Feel free to post Californian things to do :) I have 4/5 days to fill doing stuff (the rest is Disney accounted for)
    But remember , non-driver here so not too far from Anaheim ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

Woot-Woot...Yahoo...Yipee...

@speedwaystar1 (aka to me as Cpt. Turner ;) ) is coming to visit Southern California.

I'm marking the days on my calendar.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

pincrazy likes this.
  3. bcol

bcol "They call me Bruce" ....and mupins

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

Hope your trip went well, or ummmmm, are you going to use Mr. Peabody’s wayback machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

Dang autocorrect , it's gonna have to adapt to me typing 2020 (Its gonna happen a lot)

Connies_Hobby, bcol and pincrazy like this.
  5. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

How exciting!! Anaheim isn’t really my hood, so I don’t have any tips for that.. but maybe we can have a DPF meetup day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pincrazy

pincrazy Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Brilliant! Can't wait! Are you bringing traders:)

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  7. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    312   0   0

Well, this is immediately after my birthday, so maybe we can have another fruit tart get together! ;)

8. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

I will be bringing a few ;) . Summer plan is to go through my collection and sort out some I can happily trade too , my current traders aren't up to date on PinPics or PTDB . Plus park traders for HM of course :)

Connies_Hobby and pincrazy like this.
  9. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

Oh I'll be visiting LA too , seems churlish to travel that far and not go there too :)

10. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

WOOF. Aside from the swell company, good luck to you. Ha ha ha.

When you're in Anaheim, you really really really need to visit My D-Pins. Connie will drag you there if you don't agree to go on your own. :D But it is one of those places that you have to see when you have the opportunity. BFF and I stopped there on our last day in Cali, on the drive back from our LA adventure. Totally worth it, just to marvel at all da pinnnsssss.

11. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

When you're in LA (Soda Fountain, I presume), make sure to walk over and visit the Roosevelt Hotel. I know it sounds crazy to recommend visiting a hotel, but it's both the site of the first Academy Awards and the inspiration for the Hollywood Tower Hotel (Tower of Terror).

I feel terrible saying this, but I wouldn't recommend eating at the Soda Fountain; I'd go for the shopping/photo experience and eat elsewhere, I don't think the food - or even the ice cream - is good anymore, especially for the price.

12. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    312   0   0

The only food they serve at DSF now *is* ice cream, except for the occasional cookie or brownie or chocolate-dipped strawberry. They even got rid of the Mickey waffles they used to sell during morning releases. :(

I will say the ice cream is worth it from a PTD sundae, since you also get the pin that is *usually* worth at least the price of the sundae, so free ice cream. But I wouldn't go there for ice cream if it weren't a PTD or the Now Playing sundae. It's not bad at all but it's not worth the Hollywood markup.

13. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Can ya tell it has been a while since I've looked at a menu at DSF; they changed it and I didn't even notice? lol The last few times I've gone, I've just gotten the PTD sundae without the ice cream. I can't remember the last time I considered eating there; I figured if I'm going to pay Hollywood markup, I'm going to eat someplace where the quality better justifies the price.

14. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Sad to say if you're a non driver, that's going to make anything else to do outside of Anaheim fairly difficult, Downtown LA is at least an hour north (more like 2 if you get stuck in traffic), and San Diego is a whole two hours to the south as well.
    There's tons to do in Southern California, we are a land of many attractions! Buuuut it is also extremely spread out!
    In the event you can find rides, or plan for transport here's a few of the notable attractions to be found
    There is a very lovely aquarium in Long Beach, which is north, but only about 30-45 mins from Anaheim as opposed to going all the way to LA.
    There's LEGO Land in Carlsbad, the San Diego Safari Park in Escondido and then there's the San Diego Zoo and Sea World in San Diego to the south.
    In Anaheim the other biggest attractions are the Ducks hockey team, and Angels baseball if you want to catch some sports.
    LA is chock full of so many museums it's crazy, there's lots of art museums, the Natural History museum, and also the Science Center where the old space shuttle can be found. There's also the LA Zoo and the Gene Autry Cowboy museum. Then of course there's just sort of experiencing Hollywood, the Soda Fountain is there, and there's also a Star Wars themed bar run by fans/nerds called Scum and Villainy that's worth seeing if you're already there and fancy yourself as a nerd (it's literally down the block from Soda Fountain).
    Griffith Park and the observatory are also lovely day attractions to be found up in LA, and from here you can get a close view of the Hollywood sign too.
    Dodgers baseball, Kings hockey, Clippers and Lakers basketball, and LA Galaxy soccer are all major spots teams to be found up in LA.

Hope this helps, and that you enjoy your trip!

15. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    99   0   0

Congrats David! Haven't made it over myself, so looking forward to your recap.

16. Damiens pins

Damiens pins Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

We are off to California in September and we catch a train from the Fullerton train station to get down to Hollywood they even have an upstairs on there trains lol there's even an underground to get you around Hollywood goodluck with your planing but be careful as around the Chinese theater is very seedy and people trying to get you to buy things so wouldnt hang around there at night but you have got to do universal studios its in the Hollywood hills you get amazing views and the rides are amazing there also try and do the Warner brothers studio tour.

17. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

I've looked into a few travel companies in Anaheim , most do pickups from my hotel , each offers day trips to a while variety of things in LA so I think I'll book 1 or 2 of those rather than try and organise it piecemeal (Costs a bit more but worth it to avoid the extra hassle IMO)
    I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars so I can pass on the bar though , and the only American sport I really watch is NFL
    I'm looking into the LA Go pass , it includes Knots Berry which I was going to book anyways (staying on-site there so seemed pointless to skip it) and Universal , Griffith Observatory , La Brea Tar Pits which are all things I wanted to do

18. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

I know the Chinese Theatre is an Icon but is there a massive amount to actually do there ? I wasn't planning to go there

19. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

It's across the street from Soda Fountain. No there's nothing to do really beyond see a movie or take a photo. But yes, the area where the Soda Fountain is, isn't great.

20. speedwaystar1

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

So I'm planning to spend the next few weeks looking through my collection for ones I can willingly part with in trade , anything specific popular at DLR I should focus on ?
    And as a side gift I want to bring something from the UK that you can't get in the US easily , any ideas ? Doesn't have to be expensive , or even Disney related just looking for ideas

Connies_Hobby and pincrazy like this.
  21. theoucharis

theoucharis Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0

Your chocolates in the UK are different than here, even when made by the same company. Cadbury's definitely do not taste the same here in the USA.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Ajk likes this.
  22. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

@theoucharis got it in one with chocolates! The chocolates from the UK are infinitely better; even when made by the same company, it most definitely is not the same product. Anything from Cadbury's would be brilliant ... and sherbet lemons!

theoucharis and Ajk like this.
  23. Ajk

Ajk Pinnerdo on Instagram

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0

Funny, I was going to say the same. Cadbury in the US is made by Hershey’s. Far lacking. Maybe some curly wurlys.

theoucharis likes this.
  24. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

David...you can count on me to willingly be a chauffeur/tour guide.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

speedwaystar1 likes this.
  25. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Brilliant minds think alike! Anyone who says that American and UK Cadbury is the same either:

1. Hasn't had the fortune of tasting the UK version or the misfortune of sampling the American variety
    2. Has no taste buds and can't distinguish the difference, in which case I feel sorry for you but there's nothing to be done
    3. Is living in denial and must immediately submit to a blind taste test

theoucharis and Ajk like this.