Today's (May 14) shopdisney release

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Ajk, May 14, 2020.

1. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

You know, I used to like online pin releases. They were a great opportunity to get nice pins, either for my collection or to trade, without living near a park. Sure they were always somewhat competitive, but usually only for rarer pins (like when DSSH did one), but I pretty much knew what to expect. I'm not sure I feel quite the same way any longer.

So this morning I was all teed up and ready to go shortly before 10:00 ET. Right at ten I hit refresh and am not seeing anything new. I hit it again. And again. Then I try to search on pins. Or Ariel pins. Try another refresh. I do this for a couple of minutes with nothing showing up except older pins. And then, suddenly I am in a virtual queue. Hmmmm.... Okay, maybe that's good. Maybe they put this in place to slow the bots or something. Let me wait and see. Hopefully I'm one of the earlier ones since I have already been here for a few minutes. So I wait. And wait. Every now and then I see a shift in the screen and get excited but it's just the queue page resetting itself or whatever. So I wait some more. Finally, after a few minutes, I'm on a shopping page!

I do my usual search for new park pins but nothing there. So I do a search for Ariel pin and she's there! I'm starting to think maybe I'll like the pin so try to put a keeper and a trader in my cart but no luck there - she's limited to one per person.(Really?! On a 2K pin? Oh well.) So I put the one in my cart.

There's nothing else I'm interested in at all for the planned release, but I've been wondering if they are going to do a surprise. The surprise I am most expecting/hoping for is the enchanted emblems so I do a search for them. No luck. Okay, I better go ahead and check out. So I go to my cart and click to check out and....I can't. Because an item in my cart (and there's only one) is sold out. Shhhh....oot! I wonder im my emblem check slowed me down just enough. Well, maybe it's sold out in terms of the numbers in peoples' carts but some of those will fall out and status may change. So I fresh the page. And refresh it again. And wait a moment. And refresh it. And....well, you get the picture. And finally, after some period of time I can't recall, it went through! I got her! Yay!

I never thought I would be so excited about a pin that I'm not collecting and don't think will be a great trader. Interesting times we live in.

How did everyone else do?

2. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

It was 7 am here when it started. I only sat in the queue for about 30 seconds before getting in. Found nothing by searching pins. I was only able to find the Cinco de Mayo pin and nothing else before I had to get ready to get to work. And only being able to get one pin wasn't worth the shipping cost to me, so I didn't buy it. I'm split in my feeling about the one per person.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

pincrazy and Ajk like this.
  3. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

As expected, I was fairly easily (after the waiting room) able to get the Star Wars droid pins for my husband’s and my collection, but no Ariel cruiser pin for my niece. I did get her the unicorn one, which I’m sure she’ll like, but Ariel is her favorite princess so I was really hoping for that one.

Ajk likes this.
  4. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Very bizarre indeed this time. We had some late night police activity in my culdesac last night which kept me up and I barely peeled my eyes open before release time. Too tired to grab the laptop and risk waking the spouse I attempted on the phone. Logged in to my account no problem, search, search, nothing. search Ariel, nothing, search limited edition, nothing. Took forever it seemed and finally they came up. Again dang it one per person needed a couple traders. Oh well ordered done

Attempted a second order, different account and got that out finally too. Let’s see if they cancel one.

Order 1: Ariel, droid, scouting + a shirt
    Order 2: droid, scouting, Cinco, unicorn (I wanted a second Ariel but got the you have good taste message at checkout so removed it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajk and brattyjedi like this.
  5. pins4twin

pins4twin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

I was on the iPad at 8:55am CT. Decided to put some stuff in my bag before the pins so that I would not waste time trying to get to $75 for free shipping. At 9 am searched for pins-collectible. Nothing new. Refreshed the page twice and there she was. Added Ariel and Cinco to my bag, went to checkout, placed order, all done by 9:08. Forgot Free Shipping! Called Disney and hopefully the really nice call center lady I talked to will take care of that for me. No virtual queue, no endless spinning this week.

6. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

It’s interesting that there are such vastly different experiences. Congrats to all who got at least some of the pins they wanted! And especially folks who had a breeze with it!!

7. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

I went to the site... my #1 was BB-8. Nothing found under new, sorting by newest, so searched under Star Wars, sorting by newest, and there BB-8 and the trash can droid were. Just bought BB-8 (tried to find Ariel, but gave up pretty quick without any luck.) Used an "I complained to shopdisney" gift card (think it was for $20), so basically paid shipping and the pin was 'free'.

No issues at all (except not finding the new pins in first couple of searches.)

I did look a couple times to see if I could add Ariel to my cart, but could not find her. Although went back 45 minutes after the hour (just for kicks.) Found her easily, but she was sold out.

No waiting room was part of my experience.

Ajk likes this.
  8. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

The new pin was not BB-8. It’s BB-9E, the Imperial version of BB-8.

9. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Ah... yep, you are correct, thanks. Still fits in my droid collection (and I liked it better than the trash can droid), so it works. :)

brattyjedi likes this.
  10. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Cool beans. Just wanted to make sure the difference was noted in case it mattered and maybe you’d have time to contact Disney to make a change before it shipped or something.

11. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

After the first few releases, I realize I’d rather be sleeping (I usually wake up 7:50am PST) over pins I’m not keeping than fighting with ShopDisney, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Yeah, it would take a release I REALLY cared about to get me up for the fight at this point.

13. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    563   0   0

I had Ariel in my bag, got the "sold out" message around 10:15ish. Decided to just keep trying to check out with it in my bag and see if I could just brute force it. XD not refreshing, just clicking checkout over and over.

After doing that a two or three times a minute, I was finally able to check out with Unicorn, Ariel, and Cinco at 10:25am.

At this point, I'm mostly doing it for the experiment to see if the order gets canceled. So, you know, for science. XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

wonderbywonder, Ajk and krand1276 like this.
  14. Sortlora

Sortlora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

Instead of searching for pins go directly to shopdisney.store/pins at 7:00. I've never had any issues getting right in and purchasing pins. The new releases have always been right at the top. Sometimes you do have to refresh a few times. Make sure you bookmark the page after they show up because sometimes they go away when you click the back button. I have been able to purchase every single pin I've wanted doing this. Of course I've still had the same issues everyone has had such as the spinning wheel of death on May the 4th and such but overall it's been good.

15. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0

Great, for your next experiment, snag me a plushie tomorrow. In the name of science. :D

MerlinEmrys and slbrabham like this.
  16. wonderbywonder

wonderbywonder Member

0   0   0

For those of you who were successful at these sold out releases, is it better to :
    1. Search for 'pin' or be more specific or sort for new pins on the page?
    2. Do you keep refreshing or search again/click back?
    3. Do you do this right before the release time or after? Or do you think the site has started releasing in batches through the day?
    4. Login to account/check out as guest/paypal?
    5. Try to fill up your cart or try your luck at only 1 item in case adding more takes up precious time lol?
    6. Anything else I'm missing?
    Any tips? Appreciate it :)

17. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

1. Search for 'pin' or be more specific or sort for new pins on the page? I no longer search for 'pin' when something first releases. I routinely go to new and sort by newest, but that does not always work either. Going to the specific theme/category (there are star wars links on shopdisney and I use them to get to star wars pins) or using a link (Minnie Main Attraction link on the 'new' home page.) Edit 16May: for Minnie Attraction on 16May I went to 'New', 'shop all new' (bottom), 'product type' (left column), selected 'pin sets', 'plush', 'ear hats'
    2. Do you keep refreshing or search again/click back? my refreshing comes into play when I have the items in my cart and I am trying to check out. Otherwise see #1
    3. Do you do this right before the release time or after? Or do you think the site has started releasing in batches through the day? I start trying right at the top of the hour of the release. Last week I spoke to shopdisney customer service and it was a bit hard to follow, but the batch releasing throughout the day has to do with items not paid for being released back into the inventory. I do not think the batch releasing is purposeful, just the result of unknowns.
    4. Login to account/check out as guest/paypal? I usually do not have a choice. I log in and usually when the system is busy it logs me out and there is no logging back in. If you can log in, I say do it. Edit 16May: amazing success... was able to log into my account without issue.
    5. Try to fill up your cart or try your luck at only 1 item in case adding more takes up precious time lol? I try to fill up my cart... if I am ordering enough for free shipping, I really want to get free shipping.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  18. disneykins

disneykins DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

YES, Pray. LOL

19. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ First Time @ DLR: Sept 2020! *:・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

7:50 AM MST: I logged into the mobile app and searched for the pins but no luck.
    7:58 AM MST: The search suggestion terms updated in the search bar to include "Minnie Mouse The Main Attraction Pin Set Enchanted Tiki Room" but the pin page was not live yet.
    8:00 AM MST: I clicked the search suggestion box for the pin set and it took my right to the page, and I added the pins to bag without a problem.
    8:10 AM MST: The mobile app gave me various network errors and allowed me to get to the check-out page, but kicked me back to bag 2x before. Finally, it let me check-out and gave me a confirmation number.

People in a Discord I belong to said they were able to check-out through the mobile app until 7:40-45 AM PST min.

I will only be trading my set once I have it in-hand, since ShopDisney has been known to oversell and cancel orders. Going forward, I think I'll just use the ShopDisney mobile app for these special releases.

20. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ First Time @ DLR: Sept 2020! *:・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I think the search terms update 1-2 minutes before pins drop, so the format that worked for me in the mobile app was "minnie mouse the main attraction pin set enchanted tiki room". This is most likely the formula I'll be using for future Minnie Main Attraction pins. Direct links to the products were online prior to pin drop and shared via the Disney Pins Blog Discord chat too, which helped with plugging in the right search terms.

Pin Set: Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Pin Set – Enchanted Tiki Room – Limited Release | shopDisney
    Backpack: Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Mini Backpack by Loungefly – Enchanted Tiki Room – Limited Release | shopDisney
    Mug: Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Mug – Enchanted Tiki Room – Limited Release | shopDisney
    Headband: Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Ear Headband for Adults – Enchanted Tiki Room – Limited Release | shopDisney
    Plush: Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Plush – Enchanted Tiki Room – Limited Release | shopDisney

krand1276 likes this.
  21. Krisassay

Krisassay New Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Ah, I've lost touch with my pin collecting ways since 2018, but my mom had REALLY wanted the May set, being that it's her birth month! Wish I had learned about these tips sooner, but appreciate them being shared nonetheless! :)

gargress and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  22. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I didn’t realize how stressful the Shop Disney pin releases were now. This is all good info for the future.

gargress likes this.
  23. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Today I really didn't stress. I believed if I stuck with it and kept trying it would work. After the marathon on May the 4th for Star Wars, today (16May) was a walk in the park.

gargress, DisneyJ and Ajk like this.
  24. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

I went back in today and was able to pick up the Cinco De Mayo pin, the Unicorn, and each of the SW pins with absolutely no problem. Disney was kind enough to put them under the "other things you might like" area for me this time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

slbrabham and DisneyJ like this.