• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

RAKed! Um ... Y'all Didn't Have Anyone Better to RAK??? <3 <3 <3

RAKed! Um ... Y'all Didn't Have Anyone Better to RAK??? <3 <3 <3

Addicted to Alice Pins

Just here for the DMI codes; y'all have gone cray
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So you've heard this song before, but it sounds different when you're the one singing it! :D

Got home from work yesterday to find my Barnes & Noble order (expected) and another large box waiting for me. At first, I was like, "Oh, good, my hiking boots came," and then I discovered it had arrived via FedEx, which my hiking boots most definitely would not have. I glanced at the label but didn't recognize the return address. So then I was like, "Huh, I wonder what it is." I honestly thought someone had mixed up packages and sent me something by mistake. :rofl: But I had to suspend my curiosity until I cooked dinner.

After dinner, I took the box to my room and opened it and saw this:

attachment.php

So then I started getting this tingly feeling inside, like, "I've seen something like this before." But really, why me? So I started unpacking the box and once I saw "RAK" on some of the envelopes, I started to get a little melty. I laid out the envelopes on the bed and just looked at them for a minute, bracing myself.

attachment.php

Like, seriously. I know y'all do this stuff, but I didn't expect to be a recipient. (No, seriously ... y'all are silly. But kind. And awesome.) By the time I was opening the envelopes and reading the notes and seeing all the truly wonderful treats you sent, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. :cheshire: I really did need a pick-me-up yesterday. And then my mom wandered in and said, "What was in your mystery box?" and I explained to her what RAK is and I ended up getting teary. :cry: And I told my BFF about it and he was like, "People do stuff like that? OMG MAYBE THE WORLD ISN'T EVIL AFTER ALL!" Ha ha ha.

attachment.php

So many wonderful things!!!!! I really, truly love all of them! You guys know what I like better than a lot of people in my real life, ha ha. And the fact that you took time and effort to do this for a virtual stranger (get it? wa-waaaa) really does restore my faith in humanity. I'm going to do a blow-by-blow thank you post shortly, but I wanted to let you all know that the box arrived safely and I was indeed beyond surprised and so, so very thankful to you all! You have no idea. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

So here are my individual thank yous (I don’t know why some images are sideways, they’re right side up on my phone):

attachment.php

Dawn (Shelterkat) sent me a sweet teacup-themed note, a really cool lithograph from Alice Through the Looking Glass, and an adorable Teacups pin that I didn’t have. I have lots of Alice pins but have only recently started adding “just teacups” (attractions) pins to my collection—so thank you so much for this wonderful addition, my Alice buddy!

attachment.php

Christine (CCofRR13) sent me the Cheshire Cat pin from the fortune cookie set! I love it! She even included the really cool “Chinese takeout” style box it came in. This too was a pin I had overlooked until recently, and I love the fortune: Don’t lose your head today. :lol: Thank you for always being so generous to members of this forum!

attachment.php

Kristina (ksnuggles) sent me some really cool Alice stuff from Hot Topic (a store I confess I spend too much time in for someone my age, ha ha ha): A cute Mad Hatter hat pin, an adorable Alice hair bow (which I am going to wear!), and really neat puffy colorful stickers. I love stickers, ha. Thank you so much for your kindness and for organizing these RAK attacks!

attachment.php

Kim (SiuJerkJai) sent me one of the last remaining items I wanted for my Live Action Cinderella collection: the absolutely gorgeous slipper lanyard! The picture is blurry because I think by this point my hands were shaking, ha ha. So many times I’ve looked at my wants list and this has stuck out to me as a “You need to get this already!”, and now it’s here. Thank you so so so so much!

attachment.php

Michelle (Vixy), who is another great Alice fan, sent me some sweet treats (always a good choice, ha ha), two cute buttons, really pretty Alice stickers (again, always a win!), and adorable Alice and Cheshire Cat figures. Those are going on my desk at work, for sure. Thank you for thinking of me and sharing some of your Alice love!

attachment.php

Sara (SoraPandora) sent two very different Alice postcards (one a “classic” and one artistic interpretation—I’m a junkie for those!), a really neat book called “What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children’s Books” (I love books, and I particularly love little books like this that you can dive in and out of whenever you want), and a very cool Alice-themed stationary portfolio. It folds out into this awesomeness:

attachment.php

So thank you, Sara, for your kindness and for sharing what I’m guessing is a favorite book of yours. I love that!

attachment.php

And finally … we come to Merly-My-Sweet, otherwise known as MerlinEmrys. Um, I heart you so much, dear. You have no idea. Ha ha. First of all, he sent me two pins, the chaser Queen of Hearts from the alphabet set (I like sparkly) and the Cheshire Cat juggling teacups pin. I will say, I technically have the Chessie pin but I’ve always wondered if mine is a scrapper … and now that I have yours, I KNOW IT IS. Ha ha. So thank you for this needed upgrade!!! Merly also sent me a hardcover copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (props because of the many editions I have, I didn’t have this one!) that he had signed by Alice at the parks!

attachment.php

As you can see, she wrote a really sweet inscription in the front of the book, posed for a picture, and apparently made Merly sing (which I also have photographic evidence of!). I LOVE THIS SO MUCH, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. The book and the pix made me laugh, and your note made me sniffle. You are the best—like, the best best. I’m going to give you a hug when I see you (hopefully) in December (I bought my park pass so I’d better get there).

Anyway, thank you all so much for your kindness! It has been a very rocky two months (it’s only been two months, although it feels so much longer) and I’m still all over the place at times. But my mom is doing well and we’re starting to get back into a somewhat “normal” groove (for now). And your thoughtfulness and generosity means the world to me. Thank you!

Last edited:
Wow, amazing! ^_^ I love looking at these posts every month! :D Congrats Alice, and that was so nice of everyone! ^_^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING.

^0^ I'm so so glad you like everything, from everyone! You're an incredible person and a treasure to our community. You deserve all this and much more! <3

Hugs to you, my dear! And I can't wait to see you in December!!

~Merly-your-sweet

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You are most welcome ~ Enjoy!

Christine, you have no idea. I was showing my BFF all the stuff and he was like, "WHY DIDN'T YOU OWN THIS PIN ALREADY?" And I said, "Well--" and he said, "No. This is an amazing pin. Why would you NOT have it?" Uhhh ... :D

And to prove I wasn't kidding about the book, Merly, here's my shelf of Alices--at least, those that aren't oversized picture books or Little Golden books, or Disney variations, etc:

attachment.php

Why you? Because we like you a lot, silly! You deserve good things.

(Merlin, that picture of you singing might be the best thing I've ever seen in a RAK.)

Your wants list spoke to me. It said, "Look at this. Look how close she is to finishing this collection. She needs this. She neeeeeeds thisssssss..."

It was kinda creepy, actually. :lol:

I have a particular fondness for different pretty editions of books. My Pride and Prejudice collection is getting extensive but not as awesome as your collection of Alice's Adventures! I'm sitting here drooling over that pic :lol:

Congrats on being the recipient of such a wonderful tradition!

Why you? Because we like you a lot, silly! You deserve good things.

Y'all are weird. :D <3 <3 <3

(Merlin, that picture of you singing might be the best thing I've ever seen in a RAK.)

It's most definitely the best thing I've ever seen. I wish there was video!

Your wants list spoke to me. It said, "Look at this. Look how close she is to finishing this collection. She needs this. She neeeeeeds thisssssss..."

It was kinda creepy, actually. :lol:

Well, let me assure you, I am very grateful that it did--and that you listened. :lol: Maybe because this has been on my wants list for so long, I think I was most surprised/excited when I saw it. I don't really know what I was expecting, but when I pulled it out of the envelope, I just gawked. Like, No. Freakin'. Way. I felt so ... complete. You complete me, Kim. Or at least, my LA Cinderella collection. Ha ha ha.

I hope other stuff speaks to you--like next week's winning lottery numbers! :D

I have a particular fondness for different pretty editions of books. My Pride and Prejudice collection is getting extensive but not as awesome as your collection of Alice's Adventures! I'm sitting here drooling over that pic :lol:

Soooooo happy for you! <3 Congratulations.

I LOVE your Alice book collection!!!!!

So, Alice150 (the 150th anniversary of the original publication) last year really triggered a landslide of Alice editions. They updated the Annotated Alice, issued The Complete Alice in that deluxe edition, released the first-ever "popular" (ie, affordable) edition with Salvador Dali's illustrations ... all this and more got me hooked on versions with unique illustrations. But overall I think my favorite in my collection is the British Library facsimile of Lewis Carroll's handwritten manuscript of "Alice's Adventures Under Ground" (the original version). Several years ago, my coworker went to London on vacation and stopped at the BL and picked it up from the gift shop for me as a surprise.

Also as a result of Alice150, museums in both New York and Philly had special exhibitions, and I was able to get to both. (One advantage of being plunked in the middle of NJ!) The one in New York actually had Lewis Carroll's original manuscript (THE one he hand-wrote and -illustrated to present to Alice Liddell, after she requested he record the story he'd told her and her sisters on that famous boat ride up the Thames, and the one the facsimile was made from) on display for a brief period. My BFF and I were able to get there while they had it. Unfortunately, the pictures were on my BFF's phone, which subsequently died before we ever transferred them. But, I can say I was in the room with it and pretty much had my nose pressed to the glass case it was in, ha ha ha. I admit, we briefly discussed how to steal it before we accepted that neither one of us is particularly suited to criminal activity. But still ... it was super cool for an Alice fan! :bowdown:

I love what the dormouse said! It's an absolutely adorable book. Thanks again Sora. ;) You keep rocking it. And congrats on the well-deserved RAK!

Last edited:
Alice.. I am glad you liked everything... however.. I have one more small thing to send you.. paul1823 and badical sent me package after I mailed the box.. I won't make it to the post office til next week... so just know you will have another joyful thing to look forward to.

Back