Update - Dad's Liver Surgery and Job Interview

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stratasfan, Nov 23, 2019.

1. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Hi! I posted a week or two ago, and wanted to post an update here. I f you remember, Dad is Stage Four with colon cancer since Nov. 2017. Dad went for his every-three-month scans and it came back with another lesion in the liver and a possible second smaller one. We got the results late Thursday and heard from Cleveland Clinic yesterday. They will most likely schedule his next procedure for the week after Thanksgiving.

So, prayer is really appreciated for his procedure and all the medical people doing it, and that they can get both out, if it is two in the end. And for a speedy recovery for Dad.

The good news is that the area where his three previous liver ablations were done is healing very well and is at about a third smaller than the last scans. Also, his liver bloodwork shows that the liver is functioning very well, without any test flagged for low or high results. So, even with the cancer and surgeries, the liver seems to be working well.

This means we had to cancel our plans to spend Thanksgiving with friends, which made us all a little disappointed, but we really can't risk bringing a bug or flu home and have Dad get sick and have to cancel the procedure. they can only do the less-invasive procedure when the lesions are under a certain size, so they typically do it very soon after the scan.

So, many thanks for your continued Prayers! We so appreciate it! It has just been a tough few days, but we are really thankful that they can catch it soon enough to do the less-invasive surgery.

God Bless,
    Elizabeth

noone, KJackson1195, bcol and 2 others like this.
  2. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

God bless you all. I will be praying!

3. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Prayers and positive vibes continued to be sent your way

4. theoucharis

theoucharis Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0

Praying for you and your family.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Prayers and pixie dust for you, your dad, your family, and the medical staff performing the procedure.

6. Hope Princess

Hope Princess Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Sending prayers and lots of love!

7. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Off topic...

I drove right past your home town on Saturday. My niece was getting married in Newark...small world!

8. noone

noone Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Praying for the doctors, procedure and for you guys as well. :)

9. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

After some hassle with Cleveland Clinic . . . his surgery is Wednesday (18th). We drop him off Tuesday for pre-ops and then he stays at a hotel up there and goes in early for the surgery. they keep him overnight for observation, and we pick him up Thursday. So, prayers for the whole situation are appreciated! Also . . . he has a meeting on Friday with the owner of a local company to see about reviewing his resume. His current job is an hour and a quarter of drive each way, and this company is only ten minutes away. So, if they made a satisfactory offer, it would really be amazing to have him have two hours a day extra. We hardly see him weekdays, as he isn't home much because of so much driving. So, prayer for that, too, is appreciated! That God just make the door open or closed! Also, that Dad would feel up to going that afternoon!

Just going to be a bit of a stressful week here, but God is totally in control! Thanks to all for all the support! We are keeping a totally low-profile Christmas and New Year's, as we can't be around people because of risk of germs. So, we are just going to be quite at home. :)

Elizabeth

10. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

Sometimes just being quiet at home is the best way to spend the holidays. I will continue to keep you all
    in my prayers.

11. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Sometimes it is. Actually, we tend to have quiet Christmas Day with just us, since we live so far from all the family. We are just are a bit wishing we could do some visiting with people, as most of this year and last has been shut in at home, since we can't go around people for fear of germs. Just been a long year. So, we will have fun anyway, though. Also, it is sad how many people have just "disappeared" since Dad got his cancer. Friends we used to see every month and hear from all the time just are gone now. Don't respond, haven't seen them since right after Dad's cancer. Kind of sad. Guess the grey weather here has me feeling blue.

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I share my well wishes for the best outcome for everything... surgery... cancer... job. Your family are in my thoughts.

13. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Sorry for not writing sooner! Life has been super hectic and super stressful around here for the past month! After the total fiasco of Cleveland Clinic's scheduling, his ablation was scheduled for the 18th. On the 17th, we took him up for pre-op, and he stayed overnight in the hotel right on campus. (They finally got a patient rate, so we weren't stuck paying $300 a night! Cut it down to 2/3s the rate for patients). His surgery was scheduled for 8am on the 18th, but the laptop that displays the scans for that op room was on the blink when they got in, so they had to wait for the other op room to be vacant. Meant Dad was on the OP table for 6 hours in the end! When it should have just been 1 -1/2 hours total. Needless to say . . . he was super sore!

The ablation itself was good. The one lesion was removed, and the doctor spent a long time looking at the second one, but was not positive that he thought it was cancer, so he is going to really evaluate it again on the 1 month scans and the next three month scans. He didn't want to remove good tissue, on the chance that it is not cancer. Also, he said it was so small that in the next scans, we could see the growth rate and he could decide then if he needed to remove it.

Picked Dad up around lunchtime on the 19th, and he came home and slept most of the afternoon. He was running a fever, which we had never known about the other four times he has had this surgery. That really had us scared and the weekend was super bad on the three of us. Dad didn't care about the temperature, so I think it didn't bother him. Bothered us! :) Well, the other four times, he has always insisted that he knew what a fever felt like and positive that he didn't have one. Looking back, we are thinking he has one like this everytime. So, next time, we won't get so freaked out! It didn't help that it was over a weekend. We live 2 1/2 hours aways from CC, so just taking him back up there is no little thing. Mom talked to the Nurse, though, and we agreed that we would bring him back today, if it hadn't resolved and he was still not feeling better.

Well, Saturday, it was almost gone, and yesterday it was totally gone and he was totally feeling back to normal. So normal, in fact, that he decided not to stay home today and went to work! So, Praise God, he seems to be back up and running! The entry site is still healing, and of course the inside, which will take a lot longer than the outside will lead you to think! Actually, the liver itself will be suffering the trauma for 1 - 3 months.

I f you remember, Dad had an interview with a local company scheduled for the 20th (this past Friday). Needless to say, he wasn't able to make it. Actually, Mom called and explained he couldn't make it in time and they said that they really wanted to see him and they scheduled for the first day that both people (the owner and another manager) are back after the holidays - 6 Jan. Which is actually the day before we leave for FLA! So, keep this in prayer, too! It would be super nice if they would present an offer that was comparable to his current job. It would mean way less miles on the car, no Columbus taxes, and two extra hours at home for Dad! Just really praying that God would make it a clear open or closed door!

So, thanks to all for the prayers and thoughts! We really appreciate them! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
    God Bless,
    Elizabeth

Hope Princess and theoucharis like this.