UPDATED: My hand-embroid. Disney WWII patch repros

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stratasfan, Nov 4, 2019.

1. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

As lots of you probably know, Disney designed hundreds of unit/squadron patches during WWII. Combining multiple interests (Militaria, sewing, and sometimes Disney), I started hand-embroidering patch repros. All started because a young man on the military forum I'm on had been discussing his Grandfather (who served in a neighboring squadron to my GGGUncle in Alaska during WWII) and how he was not able to get a patch for his Grampa's squadron because the design was Disney. For people like him, sadly Disney design patches are doom when wanting them for sentimental reasons, as they are not only collected by military collectors, but also Disneyana collectors!

So, I thought why couldn't I make him a patch? I'd never embroidered before, but I love hand sewing and do quite a lot of small hand work. So, I printed off a picture, drew my base lines on my wool felt and started in on it!

This was done with only me and a needle. No machine is involved at any point in making this!

This is my in-progress patch next to a picture of an original WWII patch:

[​IMG]

Here is my finished patch, which took well over 20 hours of work to create:

[​IMG]

Thought I would share this! Since then, I've done 26 embroidered patches over the pats two years, several more of them Disney designs.

So, anyone on here into Disney WWII patch designs? There are some super fun ones!

2. Ajk

Ajk Pinnerdo on Instagram

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

That's awesome in so many ways!

3. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

I totally love this. You have done an awesome job replicating it. Not to insult you, but I wonder if
    someone could replicate these on one of those machines that do patch stitching.

I would love to see photos of your other patches!

4. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Oh, a lot of patches are replicated by machine . . . but they also look awful! modern machines don't recreate the old patches very well. Also, modern machine patches are done with completely synthetic thread on synthetic mesh base (mots-often iron-on, at that!), which does not look at all like the original patches which were embroidered with cotton or rayon or silk thread on cotton twill or wool fabric or wool felt. (If you are into military patches, these are all big deals!) I am actually not into military patches at all. I love to make them, but I don't collect patches and have very few. I prefer metal insignia and medals, and assorted things, rather than patches. The only patches I really go for are WWI PFC patches. I actually mostly work on collecting items to make framed displays commemorating a certain veteran. I like to make displays up for family of vets. :)

I will post pics of my other Disney patches now, so check back shortly!
    Elizabeth

5. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Here is my second Disney patch (actually, my second patch period!). this was a Disney design as the emblem for the USS Pelias, a Submarine tender. I did this patch as a present for another guy on the military forum. His Uncle was a crewman on this ship, and there is very little from the Pelias that you can actually get.

Here is an original menu that shows the design, although just in pink:

[​IMG]

Here is my patch (eliminated the rim design, as he wasn't sure if he was going to keep the circle or trim around Polly):

[​IMG]

More coming . . .

6. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Patch #3 was about a year later (that is actually not a repro of a WWII design!) of Buzz Lightyear's wing badge:

Buzzpatchf.JPG

This was done for a friend of mine who is Buzz nuts! Her online name has lightyear before her first name, even! She is a professional artist and signs all her stuff with the lightyear even! So, as a present, I decided to make her a patch of Buzz;'s wings! this patch took a little over 7 hours of work, done over three days.

More coming . . .

7. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Patch #16 is definitely one of the most detailed I've ever done. (There were a bunch of non-Disney patch repros between Buzz and this one, which were made a year apart) Did this last Summer. This is the patch of the 349th Bomb Squadron. There is no known original-era embroidered patch example remaining, so I actually used a painted patch image as my model.

Here is an original painted patch:
    349bs100bg8afukptchwwiiobv.jpg

Here is my embroidered patch:
    349thBSbigf.JPG

The patch is a 4" circle. The white cloud is appliqued on and everything else is satin embroidery. For anyone who wants to see the back, here is what it looks like when I was about an hour or two from finishing it:

349thBSbigbackf.JPG

This patch took well over 20 hours to finish. I actually made this as a trade, but it fell through, so now will look at trading or selling it off. I really like Mickey riding -bomber-plane-Pluto!

8. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Here are pictures of my non-Disney patches, so you can see what came between! :) The last two are the ones that most people want, so I've actually sold a bunch of each of those. But, thought I would share them! The fourth picture shows a repro of a WWI Machine Gun battalion patch, and the oval is actually silk/rayon velvet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I just got a good example . . . in the vintage military patch world . . . modern machine repros are like scrapper pins bought from the Orient! Looks similar, but the detail and quality and colours suffer. By all means, if that's all you have the money for . . . do it! But, for someone wnting a serious patch . . . they don't want modern machine embroidered pieces. :)

10. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

From one stitcher to another, you do beautiful work! I'm sure these took ages to create. Well done!

11. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Thanks so much! Mom always tells stories about her Gramma (who we never knew), who taught Mom to sew. When Mom would do something, her Gramma would always turn it over and if the back was sloppy, she'd cut it out and tell Mom she could do better! Well, when I did my first patch, as I started, all I could think of was Gramma Schuster and I thought I would do it so that the back would have passed her muster! Ever since, I always do my patches so that the backs would be how she'd have wanted them! :)

The Bombing Bee and the Mickey and Pluto patches both took well over 20 hours of work to make. The Polly Pelias took a little over 8 hours. The Buzz patch took a little over 7 hours. The Jewish Brigade tab took 12 hours, while the Palestine took about four. In the group picture, those took anywhere fro 3 hour to 8 hours, in general. The Marine Raider and Paramarine patches take about 8 hours each.

caw caw rawr likes this.
  12. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

Very nice.

13. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

These are incredible!!