• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Urgent help needed to authenticate a Stitch Masterpiece pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgent help needed to authenticate a Stitch Masterpiece pin.

fries440

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have the possibility of obtaining one of my grails.

pin45980

Pin 45980: Disney Auctions - Masterpiece Series 2006 (Stitch)

The front of the pin looks good:

download

I do not know if the back looks right. It looks llike there are extra scratches around the hologram and all of the gavels don't look perfect.

Does anyone have this pin to compare?

Last edited:
Without having the pin and if you need information now, this is all i can find.

http://disneypinforum.com/showthrea...eristics-Compilation&highlight=disney+auction

Series 5:
Pattern: 3
Hologram Present: Yes
Notes:

Now, does anyone who own Masterpieces find inconsistencies and differences from what I reported? As long as people submit their findings, I will keep updating this first post and add on any additional information to the notes sections. Our goal is to find consistencies and inconsistencies. With our limited resources, we may not come to absolute conclusions, but I feel any data is better than no data at all. I encourage those who are ABSOLUTELY sure that they have original Masterpieces purchased by themselves, to come forward and submit their findings.

Personally, while I believe that EVERY pin has the potential to be counterfeited, I believe that it would be unlikely that Series 4 and 5 Masterpiece pins would be counterfeited because they are the only sets out of the 5 that should have holograms.
Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-28-2011 at 08:09 PM.​

Last edited:
This is getting bad folks...Bricklayer is right and we need to post what we find on these pins, and if anyone does have an original of any masterpiece, please send pictures of the front and back.

I'm not one to "stir the pot" on scrappers/ fakes, but a somewhat suspicious seller on Ebay (I believe they are selling scrappers- could be wrong but this is my opinion) has listed and sold three of these pins recently.

6/3- Sold for $103.50
6/12- Sold for $115.55
6/21- Sold for $104.50

The description for all of them is the same, and says they are brand new and come on a "cardboard backing". I don't know if that means they come on their original backer card or not, and for all I know this person could have been hoarding these pins and just decided to sell them, but it seems a little suspicious to me...

Check out the references on the seller...several dissatisfied (neutrals) along with actual negs. in the past 12 months should raise some questions. Cardboard is not plastic and these should be on a plastic backer card, plus like the seller from China, all the sales are "private" so you can't tell how many has been sold of any one particular pin...read the item description below from one of these pins he's sold (he has sold at least 2 within the past 2 weeks and probably many others that don't show up under the "advanced search" option on eBay...)

Item Description:
Here is a Limited Edition 100 Jumbo Stitch pin from Disney Auctions - Masterpiece Series 2006.

Brand NEW! Mint condition! On a cardboard backing.

This is a oversize pin, which measures approx. 2.5" x 2.25".

Don’t miss out this RARE chance to add this pin to your collection! How rare are we talking? This is a highly sought-after pin on Pinpics. And here on eBay, NO ONE is selling it. Why am I doing this? Credit card debts leave me no choice. Selling my life collection seems to be the only way to go. This has been one of my favorite treasures.

In this dazzling LE 100 Jumbo collector's pin, Stitch, one of the Disney's most distinguished characters, pays tribute to the history's most celebrated artist, Henri Matisse's 1952 work "Blue Nude I". Stitch is featured as a blue alien silhouette.

This collector's pin was SOLD OUT.

So, he apparently has been hoarding them all since 2006? Then no wonder he is in credit card debt now. Sad sad situation for all the people who now own this HTF pin...the subjective as well as the objective value has plummeted...the same as the Stitch Dalmatian pin has done

Does anyone know if this Masterpiece pin has a hologram? It doesn't say on the pinpic website.
it would be interesting to know if it is missing also and if it's not, then "they" (china factory) could have found an over-run of the holograms also.

Last edited:
A few indicators of eBay sellers who may be selling fake Disney Pins and some of the red flags to look for with these seller include:

1. Use of "Private" sales in seller's feedback (doesn't want anyone to know how many LE 100 of a certain pin they have sold from their own "private collection"). - There is no reason to make your prior sales private unless you are up to no good.

2. More than 1-2 negative feedbacks or neutrals within the past year with complaints of "fake" pins being sold. - Sometime buyers once they receive a pin realize the pin does not look right or has some of the characteristics of a counterfeit and leave negative feedback for the seller to warn other buyers. However, most buyers do not know what to look for and send good feedback thinking they got a great deal. One negative does not mean the seller is bad, but if there are 2 or more negatives and/or neutrals within a year - be cautious.

3. Missing Holograms on Disney Auction pins that should have one. - Don't accept pins that are missing the hologram - many are being reproduced in China and sellers are claiming the hologram "fell" off.

3. Some sellers from China. (Not all, but some...especially if they have private feedback or private sales). Actually, the fake pins are now being sold to everyone in the US and can be purchased in bulk quantites directly from China.

4. Sales of the same low edition or highly coveted pin by the same seller, or else an increase in the offerings to sell a certain highly valued pin by different sellers. Try the "advanced search" option on ebay and type in the common words of a pin (such as: disney masterpiece pin, or disney stitch pin) under advanced search, and click on completed listings. This will bring up the past 2 weeks of sales of a certain pin from all sellers who have sold or not sold certain pins. You can also find this option of completed listings when you are viewing a particular seller'sitems for sale - it is located in the left hand column next to his list of items he has for sale.

5. Be cautious of brand new sellers and high volumn sellers. The high volumn sellers are not hurt much by negative feedback, and they can offer these pins without damaging their feedback percentage score, and the new sellers don't care-they sell, get neg'd, and move on to a new id.

6. Ask questions before buying - ask for pictures of the front and back, when purchased?, does it have the original backer card?, returns accepted?, anything that might help you make a decision to buy or bid. Any seller who is selling a genuine pin should not mind any question being asked and should respond promptly - if not, move on.

Be aware that these pins are out there and use caution when buying from anyone...from any site.

Last edited:
Well I will be buying this pin so we will see it when it comes.

Also, I was talking with a friend. She believes that the seller is trying to raise the price as much as possible, as many do in ebay auctions, with the help of a friend. And when the "friend" wins the auction, they have to relist it and try their luck again.

I am sure if he was selling fakes, someone would have found out by now...

I have been collecting pins for over 4 years now, recently getting serious. Though I am a newbie on this site, I have many pins with low edition. I have never seen a scrapper hologram pin, have you?

Last edited:
Hi, I noticed this seller is also selling these pins, and both are questioned on pinpics as to their origin. I saw one of the Jasmine ornament pins about 4-5 months ago and they are beautiful - just not Disney releases, and therefore not Disney pins. If this seller is also having his friends to up the prices by bidding on his items, he is also guilty of shill bidding which is a major no-no on ebay, plus with the questionable items he has for sale at this moment, I would be hard pressed to buy anything from him...
The other Stitch Masterpiece sold for $115.55 on 6/12 and his last one sold for $104.50 on 6/21. It seems his friend(s) didn't help him much this time around if all he did was re-list and re-sell the same pin to try and get more - he lost $11.05. Another thing about this seller that concerns me is his insurance charges...
Insurance:
Please contact me for an updated invoice with insurance included. Insurance costs are as follow:
· $1.85 for up to $50.00 worth of coverage,
· $2.35 for $50.01-$100.00,
· $2.85 for $100.01-$200.00,
· $4.80 for $200.01-$300.00 and then $1 extra per $100 after that.

he is charging his customers for insurance. The only insurance a buyer needs is none! Paypal and eBay protects the buyer and will fully refund the buyer (+S/H) if the item is damaged, not as described, or is "lost" or stolen in the mail. He (the seller) needs to purchase insurance if he wants to be covered so he won't loose his investment, but NEVER the buyer!

I do hope your pin is good and maybe it will be, and please keep us informed when you get it.
I am still interested to know if the hologram is present on this pin...if it is and if these are fake, then there is going to be NO way to tell anything anymore...

Bricklayer has posted a very nice characteristic thread here stating that the stitch pin does indeed have a hologram. I also received another masterpiece pin bought from another seller. Seller did not hide his feedback, etc, etc.

Goofy Masterpiece:
IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

This Goofy pin comes from the same series as said stitch pin.

"I have been collecting pins for over 4 years now, recently getting serious. Though I am a newbie on this site, I have many pins with low edition. I have never seen a scrapper hologram pin, have you?"

To answer your question, Snoudel,

No, I've never seen a scrapper hologram before that I know of...however, I do not doubt they are out there. If they can make the fake DA pins with everything except the hologram missing, then why could a hologram not be glued into the slot using one from another DA pin of lesser value?

Ok, yes, I have thought of that as well. But let me ask you this, do you not believe that if this seller was selling so many fakes, that someone would have come forward and done something about it? Posted it somewhere? Let someone know? I am sure that anybody that is willing to dish out 100+ on a pin is not some ordinary collector... Maybe it is a fake, maybe it isnt. I really hope it is not, because I like this whole series, a lot.

But let me ask you this, do you not believe that if this seller was selling so many fakes, that someone would have come forward and done something about it? Posted it somewhere? Let someone know?

Someone did do something about it...more than one person has given this seller negative feedback- specifically stating that they received fake pins. What more can someone do in a situation like this? Many pin traders do not visit forums and educate themselves like we do and probably don't even realize they are purchasing fake pins in the first place.

Many sellers fly under the radar because frankly eBay does not care and they rarely punish their sellers. If a seller gets one or two negative feedbacks and a hundred positive feedbacks nothing is going to happen.

I really truly hope that your Stitch pin is real, but that doesn't change the fact that this seller is highly suspicious.

The only way to be certain is if someone that knows FOR SURE that they have a real pin comes forward and you can compare the pin you receive to it.

I know exactly how you feel-believe me. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot anyone can do about the fake Masterpiece pins. There is another seller on eBay from China who has sold many DA Stitch LE 100 of this pin and this Jessica Baseball and this among others. He advertises them as missing the hologram so many people know they are probably all fake - but they still sell on eBay, even after numerous reports from other concerned people who have complained and reported them to eBay - it just can't be proved. This particular seller still has them up about once or twice a month for sale and they still sell to apparently unsuspecting new buyers. He claims they are ''real Disney pins" and I guess they are real in a sense...real fake Disney pins...

I purchased a Masterpiece pin about 2 or 3 years ago for a good price ($95) - and it looked great except I had another of the same pin and noticed the coloring was different - the orange was too bright, almost a neon color. Then after looking and reading more, I found out it was a counterfeit - it had the wavey hammer/gavel lines and all. It sits in my drawer to this day and is used as a reminder to myself to not be as trusting. I hate that these pins are being reproduced and sold as the real thing but they are and it seems the counterfeiters are getting better at their job...it's very hard to tell if they are real or not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back