What's the story behind your avatar and/or pin-handle

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by halloweenfiend, Oct 6, 2019.

1. halloweenfiend

halloweenfiend You Had Me At "Pumpkin"!

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I enjoy your avatars and pin-handles! I am curious about the reasons and histories behind them. Anybody care to share?

I can start.

Pin-handle: Hubby started my addiction at WDW in January, 2008. Thankfully a cast member slowed it down by giving me some sound advice - "Choose a theme, otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy and also end up in the poorhouse!" Our family loves Halloween and after studying a copy of the Disney pin collecting magazine I saw that the art for the Disney Halloween pins sent me over the moon. Fast forward to home -- I found Pinpics.com and their helpful fellow enablers.......... I needed a handle to sign up and "pinaddict" was taken. At the time I was a fiend (yes, I was fiendish by that point!), so, I put my obsession and state together and came up with "Halloweenfiend".

Avatar: DSF Tinker as Hook was one of the first pins I fell in love with and my first acquisition. I have added a few other themes to my collection since then, but Halloween is the core.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    SoraPandora and krand1276 like this.
  2. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Ooh, great question! I’ll play!

Handle: This is my handle for just about anything. If you see it somewhere else, it’s almost certain to be me. Anyway, near the end of college, I was dating a guy who collected coins. One of his favorite ones was a Krugerrand from South Africa. It’s a coin made from gold and very precious to him. Since my name is Katherine and starts with a “K”, he called me K-rand which was short for Krugerrand because I was precious to him too. When I had to create my first personal, non-college email (email was just starting to get popular back then kids), I chose to use krand plus 12. A few years later, I found that something I was signing up for already had that name, so I added the 76 to the end. I’ve used that ever since. Some people have thought that my maiden name was Rand, but nope. :D

Avatar: Well, my avatar isn’t really one, just a photo. My first one was of me with Cruella de Ville doing a photo shoot. She was fantastic. Then I changed it up for one with Dr. Facilier. But the story on that photo is: a couple of years ago, Josh and I were walking through New Orleans Square and Dr. Facilier was walking past us with his CM handler. I said “Oh, my favorite!” and he turned towards me and started talking with me. He looked at all the villains pins on my lanyard. Then asked if I wanted a photo together. Yes!!! He actually was one of the best Dr. Faciliers that I’ve met. Perfect character the entire time.

Thanks for asking about this. It was fun! :)

3. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Thank you for sharing Katherine. I appreciate the new understanding behind your handle! :)

krand1276 likes this.
  4. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

Fun thread! Thanks for starting it...

Handle: itzapinfan, my first name is itza, pronounces, eat-sa but the play on words like it’s a

The avatar: husband was the initial pin collector I just took it into the deep end, our first pin board is my avatar, I keep it because it reminds me of where it all started, when it was simpler, and cheaper...lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoraPandora and halloweenfiend like this.
  5. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I had thought I had your handle figured out. But, you avatar had me puzzled. Now I can see it with a new understanding. Thank you Itza!

6. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Cool thread! Neither of mine are very interesting lol

My username is just part of my name and I've used it for most everything since I can remember.

My avatar is a photo I took during our last night at WDE this past summer. It's looking back at Main Street from the right side of the hub right before the fireworks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SoraPandora and halloweenfiend like this.
  7. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

I'll play...

Name: CCofRR13 - "CC" is not only my initials but the initials of my favorite character - Cheshire Cat. "ofRR" - is where I live "of Rocky River" and thirteen is my favorite #

Avatar: not sure which one is the crazy one - the cat or the lady - maybe both

8. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Now I will muddle over your name. :confused: And what pleasant memory to share on your avatar! :)

I love both! :D

akarih likes this.
  9. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    398   0   0

My picture is of the love of my life, my cat Kitten that I bottle raised. I lost him at the age of 15 to pancreatic cancer.
    Shelterkat is because I used to be the Cat Building Coordinator at the Irvine shelter and that's where I got him.

SoraPandora, CCofRR13, noone and 3 others like this.
  10. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Awwwww! There is always a special bond when we get our fur-babies that young. I guessed right on your handle — that you were somehow involved in an animal shelter!

11. stitchismyspiritanimal

stitchismyspiritanimal Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

My "avatar" is a picture that I took of the bug from the Main Street Electrical Parade when we visited DLR a few years ago. Just a great character from a great parade.
    My handle is pretty much self explanatory. I love Stitch!

SoraPandora likes this.
  12. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Stitch....a mix of naughty and nice. Good spirit animal! :D

13. stitchismyspiritanimal

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

halloweenfiend likes this.
  14. Ajk

Ajk Part of the family.

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Handle - The very creative combination of my first, middle, and last initials. It's what I used on pinpics when I first started there and i thought using the same here would minimize confusion. However, I am considering changing it to Pinnerdo which I use on Instagram. It is what my sarcastic niece dubbed me when I took her to WDW many years ago. Although technically the full name is Pinnerdo The Great (I added that latter part), but just Pinnerdo for short. :D

And my avatar is Cocoa of course! Just sharing the cute.

15. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I love saucy nieces. :D
    Pinerdo?? That means you know your stuff........right? Good one!
    I had figured out Cocoa from some of your other posting. You're right -- ADORABLE!

Ajk likes this.
  16. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

LOVE your story of your cat! We have rescue cats, too! My love was one from a rescued pregnant Mama who gave us 9 surviving kittens! This particular babe was a little Tortie girl who looked like she was made up of all the left over parts after the littermates were made. :) She had slightly crossed eyes, eyes that were neither green or yellow, just the start of lynx tips on her ears, a patch above and eye and one her tail that were pure orange tiger, a round belly, a tiny head, and thin little legs that looked like sticks with toes. To top it off . . . she had a little goatee beard on the bottom of her chin. I loved her to pieces! Lost her at 8 1/2 to some sort of throat cancer. But I enjoyed every minute I had with her.

There . . . just to share kitty stories! -grin- Now I will explain my handle!

Attached Files:

timeerkat and SoraPandora like this.
  17. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

She looks like she was an imp! Adorable!! Sorry about your loss.

18. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

My handle . . . this is what I use on practically everything! I have one other handle for only personal things (email that is private to a few friends, a few Lord of the Rings/Hobbit things, etc.), but this is my all-the-time handle!

And no --- it is not a misspelling of the car! It is also not Strata's fan. I finally got to putting this on the signature of my email:

Wonder who Stratas is? Here is my favorite song of hers.

Click that link and you will see! Stratas is one of my all-time favorite singers, and I've used this online handle for years and years, ever since I got my own email! Actually, it was really fun . . . I am a big-time member on the big US Militaria Forum, and help people on there look up named items and relatives, etc. (Love genealogy!) Well, one really swell guy on there sent me a surprise, and it was an 8x10 of Stratas that she had autographed! I was so over the moon, as Sis and I do fanmail, but Stratas has retired to her farm in FLA and is very private, so I've never succeeded with fanmail to her. I am going to get it framed and hang it by my desk. :)

My avatar . . . I used to use a picture of my cat (Not Avis - my babe from above - but her older sister who was my first baby and we only had her for a month and a half). However, when I started on the USMF, it really didn't work out, as all the people on there assumed I was an older gent. So, I put my own picture up, so that they would know that I was younger and no gent! -grin- Never updated the pic, either. Haven't changed in looks, though, since then. That is actually me in a cemetery, when we were fixing up an old child's grave. So, that is me holding the headstone when we were reseating it. Mom, Sis, and I have been big into findagrave for years now! -grin-

So . . . click the link above and you will understand the Stratas!

SoraPandora likes this.
  19. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Oh, she was! Torties are kind of peppery. Well, maybe more high-strung! We got her fixed at about 6 months old. Actually, her and two sisters at the same time. We closed them in the large family room upstairs, so they wouldn't be able to get into lots of things, wince you don't want them to rip open their stitches. Well, she promptly walked around the room, and jumped right on to the curtain rod (up at the ceiling, so 8 feet high) and just hung there until we made her get down. :rolleyes:

We are down to three kitties, now, and we lost the last of her litter of 6 mates last year. I was devastated, as that litter was like no other. They were totally inbred (Mama bred with son) and all had mental issues (nothing major, just different retarded issues) which made them super quirky and so amazing! They were like forever kittens, really. It was like the passing of an era.

However, I made a Shutterfly book about Avis (that's my tortie baby!) and still enjoy going through it! Memories still make me fuzzy!

20. LittleBird

LittleBird Kimagination

Rating - 100%
    154   0   0

The long and winding road of my handle: Growing up, I was very into comics. My favorite hero was Black Canary, aka Dinah Lance. For many years, I used some form of "Dinah" as an Internet handle, but as social media grew in options and popularity, that name was often taken. In the Birds of Prey comic (my favorite), a storyline showed Black Canary's former sensei referring to her as "Siu Jerk Jai," which (if the comic is to be believed) is Cantonese for "little bird."

[​IMG]

I began to use that as my Internet identity (and it still is my PinPics name).

But as time went on, I began to realize how difficult the name was to remember and spell (plus I got a few cracks about the "jerk" part in the middle--not here, but on other forums), so to make life simpler on everyone, I translated my name to "LittleBird." This has the added bonus of also being a reference to one of my favorite video game characters: Zelda from Breath of the Wild (that is what the Gerudo champion, Urbosa, used to call her).

Bonus bonus: I was supposed to be named Robin.

Bonus bonus bonus: In college, a group of friends once played some board game where you give goofy descriptions of people (what celebrity are they like, what color would they be, etc.), and when the "What animal are they?" question came up, everyone agreed (and I quote), "Kim is like one of those twittering little birds that wakes you up in the morning." I was affronted at the time; now I kind of see it. :D

21. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Love your handle story Kim. Didn't they make a TV series out of Birds of Prey? What about your avatar? Why Mulan?

22. halloweenfiend

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I like some opera. Although, my family only allows me to play it while they are OUT of the house. :p
    Thank you for sharing. You are a very busy person! :)

stratasfan likes this.
  23. stitchismyspiritanimal

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Did you read Gail Simone's run on BOP? Are you interested in seeing the BOP movie that's coming out?

24. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Mine's easy. :)
    I just adore Russell - and he says, "caw caw rawr!"
    My avatar is Russell, saying, "caw caw rawr!" :D

SoraPandora and Ajk like this.
  25. LittleBird

LittleBird Kimagination

Rating - 100%
    154   0   0

Yep, they did make a BOP TV series. I watched one or two episodes, but they changed the character of Dinah significantly from the comics, so it wasn't my cup of tea.

I use Mulan as my avatar because she is far and away my main collection. I use that particular shot because one of my favorite things about that movie is that, because her story does not require her to be 100% "pretty" all of the time, the animators had some freedom with her expressions. She pulls some pretty hilarious faces, and I absolutely love it.

Yes! Gail Simone's run was great. I also love Ed Benes's art, so when the two of them overlapped, it was wonderful.

I know very little about the movie, but I'm thrilled Black Canary is included. To me, BOP will always be Dinah and Babs at heart, but I certainly don't begrudge the way the Birds of Prey name has been used to encompass a wide variety of heroes, especially since so many of those heroes are well-conceived women characters who deserve all the development they can get. If drawing people in with Harley Quinn means they get to see characters like Dinah, Helena Bertinelli, and Renee Montoya, I'm all for it.