Why always Princesses? What about the cool Princes?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by stratasfan, Nov 2, 2019.

1. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

There are tons of things for Disney Princesses (pins, dolls, figures, ornaments, clothes, novelty items, etc. Even movies!). Tons of people collect Princesses, too. What happened to the Princes? While they would be a little more of a challenging collection, that sure hasn't stopped anyone from collecting a theme! There are tons more Prince pins, etc. than many other characters and even films! You can get some pretty cool Prince pins! We grew up with all the Mattel Disney Dolls, and the Princes were always my favorite! Snow White's Prince, Prince Charming, Prince Adam/Beast, Prince Philip, Aladdin, Flynn, Prince Eric, etc.

Personally, I think the Princes get overlooked and should have more notice taken! Why doesn't Loungefly do a line of Prince themed pins? :) That would be amazing! I'd get some! I love the Princess bows (OK . . . so I do have a few Princess pins!), but they would be super with a Prince set of pins!

So . . . anyone have a Prince collection? Has anyone else noticed that the Princes seem to get overlooked? :)

2. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Huh, interesting thought! In my opinion, save for Aladdin and Flynn and a couple others, most of the princes were kind of shallow in their movies or just side characters for the entire thing so there's not that much about them that we're told. From what I've seen, whenever they're on their own in merchandise without their princesses, they're being sexualised in some way. So I think it's not that they're being overlooked more than the brand for a lot of them(some of them are very developed characters so I don' t mean all of them) is arm candy for the princess who goes along with their movie. That's just my thoughts though, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Out of the princes, I think the Beast and Gaston get the best pins. But are they even technically princes?

4. akarih

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I think Beast is but Gaston isn't...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

Agree about the undeveloped nature of many of the princes. In the early films love interests were more hinted at than anything (does Snow White's prince even have a name?) More problematic to have princes on the screen back in the 40s and 50s? Disney would have to walk a tightrope for what was considered acceptable in film for the period (ie, a more conservative time where on screen kissing was kept to a minimum and intimacy was taboo... and to apply the standards of the time to a romantic themed movie aimed at Children?)

Anyway, I agree Eric, Beast, Flynn, Aladdin, Naveen, etc. would be good candidates for a prince themed pin set at BoxLunch. And agree something a bit different than another princesses set.

akarih likes this.
  6. akarih

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Snow White's prince's name is Florian though I'm not entirely sure if that was added later by Disney or if he had it all along...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

Beast is. That's how Belle is a princess because she married into it.

8. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

It is, but it isn't. Just like Beast being called Adam. Disney doesn't officially recognize it in its encyclopedia, but some parts of the company use it.

coblj003 likes this.
  9. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Florian! I've not heard that, but cool! I just found out that Beast is Adam! I LOVE having a name!

As TheMickeyMouseRules points out . . . there are enough well-developed princes to be able to do pins of and have a collection! Prince Philip from Sleeping Beauty has plenty of screen time and development, too! He doesn't get many, though, but should have more! I really think that the Princes should get a bit more focus sometimes! :) They've focused on horses/steeds! And they get less time and have less character than many of the princes! -grin-

Is Kristoff in Frozen a prince?

akarih and Aurorapinfan4ever like this.
  10. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

My favorite lanyard I wear to the parks. (I realized I have closeups but not 1 combined pic.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A few pages of princes and other dudes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I saw this backpack at the Disney Store, it was perfect. Goes with my prince, Aladdin, and Flynn Rider lanyards. (Mine is in a storage tub, so here’s a pic from online.)
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick, slbrabham, Ajk and 1 other person like this.
  11. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    84   0   0

That is a great collection of different Disney Prince characters.

cyke23 likes this.
  12. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

What a super cool collection! See . . . look what a great theme! Are these keeper pins or do you trade them? Do you have a big board with just Princes and "Dudes"? :)

One question for you! What two are the ones right above your Jeff name tag at the bottom of the lanyard?

13. Ajk

Ajk Part of the family.

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

One on the right is Phoebus from Hunchback. I think the one on the left might be Jim Hawkins from Treasure Planet?

cyke23 likes this.
  14. Ajk

Ajk Part of the family.

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

I think it's just that Disney sees itself as more of a Princess company than a Prince one. After all, they call it Cinderella's castle, but isn't it really Prince Charming's? Princesses are where the $s are for them so that's where they are going to focus. They are the drivers of the stories and what draws in the girls. The boys get into the action and fun. I think at one time they tried having a "dress up as a prince" store but it didn't do so well. Especially compared to the bibbidi bobbidi boutique. So everything drives from the Princess focus, including the pins.

akarih likes this.
  15. Patrick

Patrick New Collector

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

I totally agree! I collect both princesses and princes, but there are so fewer pins of the princes. I’m always excited when I come across a new one to add to the collection :)

I think there was a “Disney Heroes” line of figures that was available when I was a kid. That was just before the “Disney Princess” line was established and blew up!

Great collection! Do you have another picture you could share of that Jim Hawkins pin? I’ve never seen it and he’s one of my favs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

First off, those are your thoughts/opinions, and as such, right/wrong shouldn't apply here. I don't think anyone is more 'right' or 'wrong' than anyone else. I think all opinions are equally valid and it's more a question of agree/disagree.

That being said, I agree with you and @TheMickeyMouseRules in that many princes are undeveloped, especially the early ones. However, to be fair, I'm not sure the early princesses are any more developed. With the acknowledgment that it has been a hot minute since I've seen these movies and my recollection might not be accurate ... Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora all had extremely passive roles in their films despite being the 'leading ladies.' When they did anything, it seems (to me) that they're reacting to their circumstances rather than taking any independent action of their own. As undeveloped as their princes are, at least they are capable of independent action. Although to continue that fairness ... this representation of the genders could be a product of the time, and we probably shouldn't apply modern (!) sensibilities to movies initially released between 60-81 years ago?

akarih likes this.
  17. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

It’s actually an unauthorized pin or I guess an old fantasy pin. I’ll try to get a better pic if you want.

18. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

These are keepers. I only have these 3 pages and the lanyard.