Your best cleaning tips?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Randakinskywalker, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I know this is very off-topic, but I'm feeling very defeated right now. I moved into a new place recently, with three roommates I don't know. I took a bit of a leap of faith and based it mostly off the room I'd be inhabiting because I was about a week away from getting kicked out because my lease was up. I literally signed the lease two days before I had to move out of my old place.

This house is not well taken care of. It's a newer house, and structurally it's fine for the most part, but it clearly hasn't been cleaned in months. I also completely missed the mold on the ceiling of my shared bathroom and the laundry room (which the landlord should be taking care of because something is clearly dripping between the walls). I just spent an hour/hour and a half cleaning this very small bathroom that hasn't seen cleaning supplies in months except for in the shower, and it still smells terrible. I have no idea where the smell is coming from. I don't think it's the mold because it seems to be from near the floor. I used like 50+ Clorox wipes on this little space, a dousing of Tilex, and yet a smell lingers. It's kind of dumpsterish. Any advice? I don't know what to do or how to find the source. I spent like five minutes trying to sniff it out like a dog. Sure I can light a candle, but something nasty is clearly causing that smell and I don't know how to get rid of it. This is my first real place on my own and normally I'd just call in the big guns (Mom) but she lives in another state. Germs bother me a lot, so I'm in a pickle. Is it worth dousing the area with baking soda or something? Idek anymore.

krand1276 likes this.
  2. DDCakes

DDCakes Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Hmmmm, try vinegar? I know vinegar kills mold and is good for getting out all sorts of bad smells. I don’t know if it will help, but it is worth a shot. Please be careful, mold causes all sorts of health issues that you probably wouldn’t even notice affecting you at first.

krand1276 likes this.
  3. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank you for the tip and thank you for the concern! I'll try vinegar on the counters and inside the toilet bowl, see if that helps. I'm currently in contact with the landlord in regards to the mold. I'm honestly not sure how the last tenants let it get that bad. It's like two feet of ceiling in both rooms-- they're adjacent so the water is coming from between the walls. My family seems to have bad luck with black mold being found after we rent a house so I'm pretty familiar with it. I'm gonna make sure it's taken care of asap because this is the landlord's responsibility, not ours. Even though someone should have reported it ages ago, lol.

4. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

Document everything. Conversation with the landlord? Follow up with an email and start a google doc (because it’s secured in the cloud) documenting conversations and your various attempts to clean etc. You may even want to save receipts of any extra cleaning things you buy for possible reimbursement. Take a picture and if the receipt and save it to a google folder.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0

Ooh! I know that dumpster smell! We had it in one of our bathrooms when we moved into the house. Ours was the bathtub drain. Take a half to a full cup of baking soda and pour it down the drain. Let it sit 5-10 minutes to deodorize. Then take a cup of vinegar and _slowly_ pour it down the drain. You want it to interact with the baking soda, not wash it away. We put a washcloth over the drain and let it sit about 15 minutes. Some recommend to pour boiling water to flush it away, we let the faucet just run for a few minutes. Got rid of the smell and the gunk in the bathtub drain.

Hope this helps! That is an awful and annoying smell.

6. SoraPandora

SoraPandora I'm SoraPandora again!

Rating - 100%
    152   0   0

[​IMG]

This stuff is the grail of bathroom cleaners. And you can get it at lots of dollar stores, Big Lots, or Walmart. When we moved into our new (old) house, the toilets had the grossest stains. We scrubbed and scrubbed with Clorox, but the stains remained.

A bit of this in the bowl, and the toilets looked brand new. It feels weird to rave about a bathroom cleaner, but this stuff blows my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krand1276 likes this.
  7. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    175   0   0

For tub/shower, I use the solution of Dawn dish soap + warmed vinegar, and sprayed on that can be found on the Internet. I spray and let it sit 15 minutes, and then scrub with a Magic Eraser.

For Toilets, I use the previously mentioned Works. If there is still a mineral ring, I use a pumice stone and lightly scrub the line.

For most other cleaning, I use Baking Soda + Vinegar, and if its really nasty, I will add ammonia (but I don't like to use it too much) And I use Magic Erasers.

But I with that much moisture, I would be very concerned that the landlord wouldn't fix everything properly, and so I'd start figuring out your rights as a tenant, what services are out there to help, if you can break the lease with something like this and unfortunately another new place to live.