• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

ZAPPED! Zapped by GoofyinMadison

ZAPPED! Zapped by GoofyinMadison

Ksnuggles

Resident Cake Baker
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So I had asked Debbi if she would be willing to pick me up this candy that I have only been able to find in WI, called Candied Raisins. Now there is a story behind these candies. My family is from Wisconsin and had to leave because my grandpa came down with Hotchkins so in 1972 my grandparents and 5 kids moved to California. However, these candies were my grandpa's favorite so a few times a year if they went back to WI or family came to CA these were brought for him to have in CA. So as I grew up I would come to know them as "Papa Raisins" because only papa (what we called him) was allowed to hand them out and share. Well my grandpa passed away in May 2008 and we asked a family member living in Green Bay to send us some so we could share them with everyone at his memorial.. only to come and find that the company went out of business in 2007 and they were no longer available. Then I heard in 2012 that a second company was trying to recreate these and I tried a few of the trial runs that came onto the market and they were nothing like the original.. I had just about given up hope of ever getting this beloved candy back when I heard a few people mention on the FB page for the original candy that the newest formula was so close to the original it was hard to tell the two apart. So then I went on my search for someone to send me some. A lot of my family that still remains in WI are older and are suffering from cancer and many other health problems, so I turned to my pin family here on DPF and found Debbi.. I am so glad I did.. because my special delivery package arrived on Christmas Eve. I saw the return address and ripped into the box while standing in the rain on my driveway.. found the candy and opened it right then.. my fiance was standing next to me as I started to cry because it tasted just like I remember them and brought back so many memories of my grandpa and I couldn't wait to share them with my family on Christmas day. Yes this candy was a zap because even though I asked for it, she refused to take my money... so beware Debbi, I will pay you somehow.

Oh yeah and there were these 2 wonderful pins in there too that went immediately on my Sleeping Beauty board and every time I see them I am reminded of how Debbi gave me a piece of my grandpa back.

So THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
20161227_211155.jpg

Oh, I'm so glad you found them! I couldn't find them in my town, but I bet they have them near my dad's house (my kids call my dad "Papa"!). Next time we go up there, I will grab some. Between Debbie and I, we'll keep you stocked. :)

(When is your wedding? We should make sure you have plenty for that occasion.)

I was so happy to be able to pick those up for you, Kristina!! Now that I know you like them....watch out :naughty:. You do so much for our DPF family....I can't imagine the hours you spent pulling off this year's amazing Secret Santa! So enjoy the raisins and I will continue to send more your way. I'm so happy the package arrived for you on Christmas Eve!

Debbie

@Kim ... I cannot believe that I finally am getting married in August this year. It seems like we have been engaged forever, when in reality it has only been a little over a year.

Thank you all for reading my oh so long post.. LOL. Hope all of you had a great holiday season.

@Kim ... I cannot believe that I finally am getting married in August this year. It seems like we have been engaged forever, when in reality it has only been a little over a year.

Thank you all for reading my oh so long post.. LOL. Hope all of you had a great holiday season.
That is so EXCITING! :D I hope you'll post some wedding pictures, I'd love to see it. ^_^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

That is so EXCITING! :D I hope you'll post some wedding pictures, I'd love to see it. ^_^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I may just do that.. in the "anything goes" section of course.. lol.. But I still have 226 days to go.. so it will be a wait. But I can justify having pictures on a Disney site since my wedding will have touches of Disney.. with the Movies UP and Tangled in the mix.

Back