• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

ZAPPED! A Zap that Went the Distance!

ZAPPED! A Zap that Went the Distance!

MerlinEmrys

Hicitus Pinicus!
Rating - 100%
603   0   0
Well! After a week of feeling fairly crappy, today was the first day that I felt back up to snuff. And what better way to celebrate than receiving a total surprise in the mail!!

44383d309030489f2ada566e53b3ffd9.jpg

AshleyV sent me the sweetest and cute card and a wonderful pin from my wants list!! And it's a pin that means a lot to me!

I was but a wee little wizard when Hercules came out (okay, a middle school wizard, but how often does one get to type out "wee little wizard"...). And during those middle school years, I was picked on profusely. I didn't fit in, I wasn't athletic, I wasn't super smart (smart enough to not be dumb, but also not be respected for being the smartest), I was geeky (Pokemon has long since taken root), and my last name was comical to say so even TEACHERS made fun of me (seriously...). So I would go home every few days crying and dreading the next day. But I specifically remember when Hercules came out (along with the Hero songs CD from McDonald's!) that the lyrics to "I Can Go the Distance" resonated with me. I wanted that great warm welcome, the cheers, and to feel like I belonged. Well, like Herc, I had to find the strength within, and learn to love and believe in myself, and the rest would follow. That's when I got started in singing and acting, I developed a love and talent for reading and literature, and discovered that bullies weren't as mean to you if you were always smiling. To this day, I still get really choked up when I hear "Distance" and people always say "I know right? It's such a sad song!"

But it's not. It's empowering. It's hopeful. It's my anthem. Even after all these years, it still lifts me to the sun, just like Herc.

So, thank you, Ashley, for sending me a pin you had no idea would mean so much to me. <3 you're literally the best.

Alright, I have to stop because I'm sniffling and my cat is judging me. Goodnight! And thanks again. :,3

~Merlin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

As a middle school teacher, middle school sucks for everyone. We refer to it as the black hole of your educational experience.

Thank you for sharing your story - love the emotional connection to the song and now pin.

What an amazing ZAP!

((HUGS))

Awww...I wish I could travel through time and hang out with middle school Merlin! :hug: Have you heard the Peter Hollens version of Go the Distance? It's really good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fauUeakH7zk

Congrats on the zap!
Oh wow! That was super good! He's got some pipes! But I was not prepared for 4 of him! Hahaha!

(though it does bug me when people change "a great, warm welcome" to "a hero's welcome". There's a subtle difference in that lyric that changes the meaning and tone of the song for me. I probs just have too much invested in it. XD)

Thanks for all the time travel hugs! You guys are awesome. :3

~Merlin

Merlin! I am so, so touched by your story and by how much this song/pin means to you. I had no idea. Glad I could make your week a little bit better! <3

(P.S. I still have my Hero Songs CD from McDonald's! Go the Distance was definitely one of my favorites on that compilation.)

It is wonderful to see how Disney can have such an impact through our lives. What an amazing zap, congratulations.

What a wonderful thread to read!! You are soooo deserving, Merlin, and AshleyV...loads of Pixie Dust coming your way for such a thoughtful zap!! I feel lifted up just from reading this! Kudos :rock::wavey:

Wonderful zap!

(And speaking of pokemon, have you seen the three new starters? I'm going for Rowlet, of course.)
I really want Rowlet but my boyfriend is being not so subtly passive aggressive about it, so I'll probably get Litten. XD

Back