• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Black Lights and Magnetism - A Long History (and what I discovered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Lights and Magnetism - A Long History (and what I discovered)

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
My wife and I spent a LOT of time tonight at DLR, running around with a magnet and a black light since these "new" methods of telling fakes and scrappers are under scrutiny, and I wanted to see for myself. I'll divide the two and tell you what we found. This is long - read it only if you have a good ten minutes to totally waste.

The Magnet Test

Testing a pin with magnetism is extremely inconclusive as others have suspected. We took a magnet and dragged it across the rack in the Emporium. Guess what? We got a lot either way. Basically, in a store FULL of real pins, there were way too many that were magnetic and just as many that weren't for that to prove anything. Any pin, real or fake, is made of metal. Some people are using the term metal to mean anything magnetic. This isn't the case by any means. "Metal" can be a mixture or pure use of any number of raw elements, including aluminum, zinc, tin, magnesium, copper, lead, iron, and more. The only non-precious metal that is magnetic is iron, and therefore only a pin containing iron would react in any way to a magnet. Mixes of two or more base metals are known as alloys (what 100% of pins are made out of). For example, brass is an alloy, or combination, of copper and zinc whereas bronze is a mix of copper and tin. Specifically concerning pins, Disney could have any number of combinations in their pin base metal alloy to get that shiny color in silver pins, but that would be a totally different mix than what is in gold backed pins, and either of those could contain iron (or not) as a strengthening element. Our opinion - magnetism is IRRELEVANT.

The Black Light Test

This one was infinitely more interesting and FUN! It started while waiting in line for the monorail in Downtown DIsney, and a Cast Member let us play with her high power black light flashlight used for checking hand stamps. This led us to check all of our pins (99% of which glowed, but we already knew we don't have any fakes), and we eventually bought a black light flashlight (the one that comes with the Haunted Mansion dangle pendant thingy) and we were playing with it all night. We looked at pins on CM lanyards all night that we knew to be fake for other reasons (borders, etc.) and none of them glowed, even when we compared them to real ones we had of the same pin that did glow. We thought that this might actually have some merit, but first, a little boring history about black light and why it makes some things glow:

A "black light" is any lightbulb designed specifically to emit mostly light in the ultra-violet light spectrum. In easy terms, just about everything that moves through the air is a kind of light wave (think radio waves, cell phone signal, microwaves, the light coming out of your remote control, etc.). There is a visible spectrum we can see that consists of the colors of the rainbow and everything in between, but there are a thousand times more that we cannot, including all those other mentioned waves as well as infra-red and ultra-violet. When you shine a black light and just look at it, yes, you can see some purply-blue light, but that is only about 10% of what is coming out. The rest is in the ultra-violet spectrum that we cannot see. Think of it this way; take dark purple and make it darker and darker but keep it every bit as strong until it is so dark you can't see it. That is ultra-violet light.

light-spectrum.JPG

Disney uses these all over the park, specifically on rides. Fantasyland is COATED in black light. Some fabrics easily react to black light; this is why your white shirt and shoelaces glow while you are on Pinnochio like nobody's business. However, most regular paints will not show up when shone upon with black light; it does reflect it, but we can't see it. There is a special trick involved here to make it visible; the addition of a chemical called phosphorous. We love phosphorous because when you shine a black light on it, phosphorous takes that ultra-violet light and reflects it back in colors that we can actually see. This makes things look all kinds of cool glowy neon colors, and it is what makes those fantasyland rides seem so cartoony and surreal.

Why in the world is this important? Because in order for enamels in pins to glow under a black light, phosphorous must be added to the dye. Phosphorous is relatively expensive; a pin dye containing phosphorous will cost 2-4 times what a pin dye without it would cost. Therefore, China companies making cheap knockoffs could not include it and maintain their pennies-profit-margin; it would just cost way too much. However, our dear addiction-feeding friends making real Disney pins for us could and do afford it, and yes, it was put there entirely on purpose. Phosphorous shows up in a LOT of real pins, but not all. For example, a pin made entirely of silver or gold such as the princess castle series would not use any dye and therefore could not contain phosphorous. Similarly, pins that contain real graphics such as Captain Eo pins, Hannah Montana, HSM, Jonas Brothers (shudder) etc. with actual pictures on them would not contain phosphorous.

Now, we discovered that there are no pins that we have or have seen that are completely coated in phosphorous, but most enamel pins have at lest a drop or two of the stuff. For instance, pin 68906, a glitter Jasmine we own, only has it in the two tiny jewels in her body, one on her head and one on her sash/belt, but those do in fact light up under a black light. Some pins, like a lot of Jessica Rabbits, light up almost entirely (her hair and dress usually).

So, how could you use this black light information? Put on your thinking caps for a second, and we'll look at it logically. First, you have to ask, could the pin contain phosphorous? Since phosphorous is an enamel dye additive, pure metal pins could not, and neither do most graphics based pins, but pins containing enamel could. So, now you can shine a black light on it, and get two possible outcomes; either nothing on the pin glows, or something on the pin glows.

1. Outcome #1: Nothing glows - this result really proves nothing either way. There are plenty of real pins that exist that do not contain phosphorous, especially older pins, so this would mean nothing. This outcome cannot prove or disprove the authenticity of a pin, at least on a stand-alone basis. However, IF, and this is a really big IF, it does not glow AND has an error in it such as stated in my "how to spot a fake" pamphlet post, it most likely is fake.

2. Outcome #2: Something glows - This can be very subtle, such as a change and brightening of skin color, can be very small such as in the Jasmine glitter pin example, or could be very obvious - some pins have so much phosphorous in them that they don't even look like the same pin under a black light. In any case, there is something on the pin that glows. What does this mean? The pin has enamel on it that contains phosphorous, which is very expensive (relatively) and put there ON PURPOSE. It is NOT a byproduct of the process and must be added Most new pins have phosphorous in them somewhere, but so do some old pins; I have several of the original 2o0o series from 11 years ago with the little dancers carrying multi-colored ribbons (pinpics pins 1 and 2), and guess what? Those ribbons light up like the 4th of July.

So what does a glowing pin mean? A pin that glows almost certainly is (or was) a genuine pin. However, remember that there are both fakes and scrappers (check Disney Dan's post on Fakes Vs. Scrappers if you don't know the difference). A fake would not glow, BUT a scrapper could because at one point before it failed inspection, it WAS a real pin, and could have phosphorous in it. However, most scrappers have visual flaws in them and that is why they failed inspection in the first place, so you should be able to see those flaws anyway. A pin that does not glow does not necessarily have to be fake; however, if an enameled pin does not glow AND contains other flaws in it as stated in my How To Tell pamphlet, it most likely is a fake pin.

So, to condense it down, here is what we discovered and what we hypothesize:

A pin containing enamel, when subjected to ultra violet (black) light will either glow or not glow. A pin that DOES glow under black light is NOT a fake, but could still be a scrapper, and should be inspected for any other flaws before reaching a final decision. Should an enameled pin NOT glow, this can be one indication that it is fake; however, this should not be used as a stand-alone test, and any pin suspected of being fake should be politely and discreetly inspected for other flaws.

Conclusion

What does all this mean? Simply put, magnet tests mean nothing. Even cast members I know and other CMs I have talked to are sick of hearing about it. There are those that swear by it, and even those that get seriously offended when challenged. However, while they may be extremely rare, there are pin trading educated CMs in the parks. They know "magnet tests" for what they are; bunk and hokum. Leave your magnets at home on the fridge where they belong guys.

The black light test is very tricky and should not ever be used alone to prove or disprove the authenticity of a pin, but it at least provides a useful tool in our arsenal in the constant search for real pins. The way Jessica and I handle a black light is something like this: we see a pin on a CM lanyard we want; if it passes the black light test, we are fairly confident that it is real and we will consider it for trade. If it does not glow it doesn't necessarily mean it is fake, but we know to be a little more careful. I know that personally, I did not have more than two out of over 500 pins, including Hidden Mickeys, that did not glow (that did have enamel on them). Of those two that did not glow, they had other flaws in them that upon inspection proved that they were indeed fake, and those happened to be the ones we hang on to to show others what fakes can look like. Black lights can be combined with other measures to provide pin traders with just a little more security when trading, but please, please don't go out there and start insulting people just because their pins don't glow!

---------

Questions and Comments are welcome!

Oh yes, and every pin we could check ourselves that was for sale in the Emporium, Little Green Men, and the store in Frontier Land that had enamel in it glowed.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. It could prove usefull in the short term, but in the future if word gets around that people are using black lights to screen pins, the fake pins will be made to glow as well.

It just goes to show that you need to keep yourself educated and know what you are looking for.

This is very interesting. Now to find a small black light. I think I do an ok job pulling out the potential fakes, as is, but it would be nice to have a confirmation test of sorts, so I am not unfairly picking on good pins, just because I found them at WDW. The only thing I would worry about, is people becoming vigilant about it and not understanding the limitations of the black light, and causing problems while trading. It will also be fun to run it over my collection of pins, since I have a lot going back to the start of trading and see how prevalent the use of phosphorus was, "back in the day."

However, if there really is merit to this test, I find myself more upset with Disney. It would be a simple thing to have a black light available. At the end of the day CM's stick their lanyard underneath, and remove & replace any non-glowing pins. Someone with a higher pin IQ can go through to determine if there were good ones that just didn't have phosphorus, and how prevalent the fake pin problem is.

I don't think we have to worry about fake pins starting to glow. At the end of the day, it won't affect the chinese manufacturers bottom line if their pins don't glow. They're still "tradeable in the park", so unless disney DID do a black light system that checked the pins before they were traded onto lanyards, then the counterfeiters will barely, if at all be affected because their consumers don't know/care about the problem. SO instead, this is more of a nifty tool for the people that are concerned. But as mentioned above, just use caution and sense, and it doesn't automatically mean a pin is fake if it doesn't glow. Thank you guys very much for your findings, it might be enlightening to most who read it!

Happy Trading!
Andrew Z

EXCELLENT posting, Geoff! :bigthumb: Thank you for putting the time and effort in not only researching this more, but posting your findings here. And it certainly was NOT time wasted in reading it. :D

It also supports what CinoBoo was stating in his earlier posts about being confident in trading for pins that actually glowed under black light. Sounds like we have a new tool available to us now. Just need to go out and buy some handheld blacklights and keep in mind what the limitations are. :)

For anyone looking for a quick blacklight in an actual park, look for this:

http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=70071

I traded for mine for two pins, so it can be an easy way to get one if you can go to the park. Otherwise, Hope found a good one for sale through Amazon. You can get them cheaper through eBay, but Amazon is far, far more reliable, thank you Hope! And thank you all for reading my mile long post. I felt like I was one of my old college professors for a few minutes there...

I very much enjoyed reading the results of your experiment. Clear, logical, and informative! (If I were your professor, I'd give you an A.)

Last edited:
Sounds like that would make an interesting science fair project for the kids. Thanks for putting this up. I'll have to see about getting a flashlight. When doing this research, did you shine the flashlight on the CMs lanyards while considering pins, or did you make a trade and then use the light? Also, does this work during the day? I've never fooled around with a black light before.

Last edited:
I have a few pin that I assumed were counterfiet because they have a border on the back. When I tried the black light test, they had parts that glowed, just like the pins i know are authentic. Are there authentic pins out there with borders on the back?

Which pins are they? Maybe someone who purchased those particular pins can comment on the backs of their pins. Or how do you feel about the quality of the pin otherwise, is it shiny, or dull and streaky?

The pins are Pin Pic 68965: WDW - 'Boxed Set - Disney Princess'. 3 of the 5 glow. According to Pin Pics, the Snow White (70394) pin I have is a fake since it has purple on the right side of her hair. The quality seems good except for the wong color on Snow White. I guess this means there are conterfeit pins that glow??

This is awesome! Nice work. I actually already own the Bat Lanyard with the black light flashlight, so this is even more convenient than expected. :D

Hmm, so I tested a bunch of vinylmation pins with very obvious tell-tale signs of being fakes, and they all had elements that glowed under black light. At the same time though, a friend gave me a little workshop yesterday; he had a group of legitimate PT52 pins, and a group of fake copies of the same pins. The fake PT52 pins didn't really glow at all, while the authentic ones popped like crazy. It's too bad this isn't universal, but it does seem like it could be very useful moving forward.

-JD

I wonder if it could tell us the "makers" of some of the bad pins. If some people get the true scrappers, maybe they can also obtain "leftover" enamel. There's got to be some "bottom of the barrel" of that stuff too, I would think. What happens to it? Destroyed, or makes its way into the hands of the wrong people as well. But maybe other bad pins have a different history, no association with the Disney manufacturing line at all, so they use the cheap non-phosphorus stuff.

I had fun going over my corkboards with a blacklight last night. The whole board was glowing like crazy! I have a few that I know to be real b/c I bought them directly from Disney that didn't glow, and a few that I know to be fake (one unauthorized design, and one fake HM completer- typos on the back) that lit up like Chernobyl. Whether it proves anything or not, I get a kick out of looking at them glow!

yeah i too had to test this .. mostly because i LOVE black-lights :) i took around 230 of my 100% traded in the parks ( which means nothing i know) and went into a dark room with my black-light 110 had some element that glowed like crazy 110 showed nothing and around 10 that sorta showed a reaction hrmm fun none the less.. had quite a few vinlymation with bordered backs and paint dips that glowed like crazy including a cupcake that is unauthorized NONE of the 4 pins i purchased at Trade city glowed ! :( and lastly i have a separate little book i keep of all my 2002 cast lanyard pins (known by me to be real) and amazingly i have quite a few where i have more than one of the exact same pin ..one glows one doesn't or glows differently! anyway just thought id share my results with all :) it was fun but I for one wont be holding anything to use (unless i plan on using the pin in question in my black-light room then it must glow) :)

Wow, glad to see some interest in the topic. Also glad to see that people are out doing their homework! Yes, we checked cast lanyards, and not just trades we made. And we did just tonight in the park find what seemed to be a fake with a bad border on it on a CM that DID have a part that glowed. I have heard that after an official Disney order has been made, there can be leftover materials including dyes that theoretically could be used 'till the last drop. It happened to at least one pin I know of; a dalmatian pin was run and run way after the order was filled until the black ink ran out. Then they kept running them without the black ink. Result; a kind of creepy pure white dalmatian. Some were amused, others very, very upset. I think it was a semi-rare pin too...

We did do quite a few comparisons with pins we had to those on CMs that we knew were fakes (2D 2008 pins and HMs) and the fakes were dull while the real ones were nuclear. So, there are things out there that can happen. We just have to learn and see.

Got my pen light today!

I've been going over my "bag o' potential scrappers/counterfeits" and my Disneyland HM/cast lanyard pins for the last hour.

I too, have somewhat mixed results to report.

First, I had to figure out the best place to run the test. I first just did it in the room that my pins are in. But there was a lot of light pollution so while some pins just popped a lot of them it was hard to tell.

So then I took them downstairs, to the basement, turned off the light. I had some illumination from the stairwell so I wasn't tripping over myself. This revealed a whole bunch more pins that were reactive, but I am still left with a handful of pins that I can't quite tell if they are reacting to the UV, or if it is just the pen light providing some illumination. These tended to be pins that I couldn't tell if the pastel blues, yellows, pinks were actually reacting or not.

Green and red seem to be the best for the "lighting up like a Christmas tree" scenario. Some blue, some orange/brown, some white lit up too.

Bad news: I definitely had some pins with bad borders reacting. These were DL booster pack pins. Also, I have 3 PT52 pins. 2 came from a package I purchased myself. Fireworks and Christmas lights. The 3rd was the Stitch in the Director's Chair, traded off a lanyard and appears on the bad pin images. The one I have, has serious, and I mean serious issues with dips, and Stitch's nose lit up under UV. I would be curious to know, if a person has a real one, if it's the same area that lights up or if more of Stitch lit up. Right now, I'm chalking it up to Stitch being a true scrapper. But the bad border ones are discouraging, because they didn't "kinda react" it was fireworks.

Confusing news: Also, I have 2 of pin #74662. One I found at WDW, one a friend got at DL. I had already noticed several differences, most notably the chest hair of Billy Boss was lighter on the WDW one and darker on the DL one. I assumed the WDW was a fake. BUT.... when I put it under the black light, on the WDW one, Roquefort's cloak and hat most definitely react. But on the DL one, not only does that react but also the background. Two different runs? Two different factories? Counterfeiters having access to leftover enamel? I'm not sure what to think.

More confusing news: One of the things I was hoping to figure out was the DL 2.5 series. I have one authentic Jasmine Star, and one authentic Daisy kite. I traded for them at DL the weekend they were released, which was pre-counterfeit era. Daisy was most definitely reactive, but the Jasmine didn't seem to be. But it's got that pale yellow that I couldn't quite tell what it was doing. I also have some kites and stars that were picked up later at WDW. Most of them were from the time where there were reports of DL CM's using them to refresh lanyards prior to the release of the 2010 HM's. Aurora, Ariel stars, Pluto, Donald, Goofy kites definitely reactive. But I also had a non-reactive Cinderella and non reactive Mickey. I would so love to believe that the reactive ones are real, but I can't quite bring myself to definitively say, yes.

I had reactive pins for all series of DL lanyard pins. Although, there were some of Series 1 & 2 that didn't. 2 of the 3 Dopeys didn't, and the spring Pooh doesn't seem to, even though the others most definitely did. Even the race cars and autographs, with only a small amount of enamel, reacted. Tink's, it wasn't until I got to the darker basement that I was able to see the reaction, but I did get the glow. I would be curious to know how other people's Dopey's react. I also have questions about the Diamond series. A couple had a strong reaction, but most fell into the "are they reacting or not" category. I may take them in the pitch black laundry room next.

I think there may be something here. But it's hard to tell what really that is. At best, it seems to be non-reactive pins are bad. But I don't know if that's simply the age of the pin (2003-2005 range). Reactive pins may be authentic, they may be true scrappers, but with those bad borders, it may just mean someone has access to the Disney enamel leftovers. I wouldn't let other signs of counterfeiting be overruled by "but the pin reacts under UV light."

So just as confused as ever. What I would really like to do is find other people who are willing to run black light tests, and believe they have authentic HM pins and post detailed examinations on a pin-by-pin basis. :lol: Yes, I am a geek.

Last edited:
I went through another tin of questionable pins I had...yeah, reacting is not indicative of authenticity. Here are two that I found that were reactive

[pin]43377[/pin] With the 2002 backstamp, even though it wasn't released until 2005
[pin]35854[/pin] This was one that Dizpins put on it's 10 NOT wanted list http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/wanted_not.htm

Also my [pin]33189[/pin], the border definitely reacts. And I've never thought it was real, although maybe. Just that I got it when were making the rounds at WDW.

Also the Zero (his collar) and the Big Head Cheshire Cat (all the pink) referenced in this thread http://dizpinsboards.yuku.com/topic/18831/New-Unauthorized-Pins-From-China

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back