• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Considering running a small game....pros? cons?

Considering running a small game....pros? cons?

lynn99

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
So between changing my mind on pins, traders from games and multi-trades, refocusing some collections, and ending up with a few duplicates, I have lots more traders than I thought. I put up a trades post, but I think I have more than enough to run a small low-mid level type game with (I have more traders than posted, just haven't gotten them together yet). I'm thinking it wold be fun, and both easier and harder in some respects than just trying to trade/sell individual pins etc...

Not looking to make money, but want to get back what I have in the pins while having fun.

Any advice, tips, considerations, things that surprised you, etc. from those of you who've run games would be appreciated.
(I actually love to deal with organizing, spreadsheets, etc, so the keeping track stuff to me is more fun, though to some it would be a pain).

Pro: Lots of pins gone in one swoop
Con: Most games seem to take a while to sell out, so game pins are "locked up/off the trade market/etc" once pins are posted....
Neutral: Lots of work in a big chunk, esp packing and mailing at the end, vs. lots of smaller transactions...
Con: Bye bye lots of pins.....
Pro: space in pin books for new pins!

I think you should try a small game first just so that you can get the feel for how it all works! I think games are a great way to get some extra money, and if you have enough traders that are at the same value level, go for it!!! :bigthumb:

Give it a shot. Run a small game and see how it goes. Check the games that have been successful and model yours after those if possible.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! If you don't try it you will never know if it was a good choice for you or not. I would try it. It does not cost anything to try it except time. What I have learned is this. People want a good grand prize if possible. Players also want to get something they can at least use for a trader if it is not something they want to keep. The better LE pins used the better. Open edition pins do not count for much here so if you do a $15 to $20 game or more, and you want to offer open edition, use two for one slot or more depending on the pins. If you use princess movie pins, Haunted Mansion, Stitch pins you will get some interest. Players that play here also collect Chip and Dale, Lady and the Tramp and Cat pins but they are a lesser draw than the others. Take notice of what the bigger players like and try to use pins that fit for them. Lastly, be quick to get the pins out once the game is completed and don't be afraid to include a itte zap in a few of them every once in a while. There have been several games lately in which people have not gotten their pins out for months. That simply isn't right. They pay to play in good faith and getting the pins out quickly could mean the difference in a player that plays again or one that never does. Lastly, have fun with it. Your players will respond to a fun game. I am still learning, like everyone else, and ask for input a lot. Never be afraid to take suggestion from your players. It could be the difference between a good game and a great game. Hope this helps...

I am also noticing that people do not notice the actual cost of a game slot when you offer free shipping. My current game for example is $12 free shipping. When you factor in the shipping and fees you will incur the actual cost of the game slot is about $9 give or take. I think any game that has a grand prize offered for under $10 a slot is a steal but most people only see the cost set. In other words, while the actual cost per pin is about $9 the players still seem to see $12 so having a shipping cost added verses free shipping may be a better way to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback all, I'm going to give it a try. Hope to get pins, pictures, etc figured out this weekend.

I've had lots of fun with the games I've played so far, so hopefully I can set up one people will want to play.

for thumbnails of pins all you have to do is go to the thumbnail page on pinpics and copy straight from there. That way you copy only the pin and it will let you go to the pinpics entry to see the info about it by clicking on it. Easy peasy!

I'm having a lot of fun with my game, Lynn, but both Rocke01 & Maleficent913 have been wonderful help!! I still can't get the thumbnails to post--or even copy over from another post--from any of our home computers, but I was able to do it at work...whew...so that helped a lot. We have so many pins so I had 100 spots, which takes a while to fill, but it has been great fun. Many of our pins are on their original card/packaging & we also had a lot of APs & a couple boxed sets. Not sure I'd hold another game, but I'm happy I tried it once! It's great fun :hsd:

I just enjoy doing them. I am hoping to run one more high end game before the end of the year. I am not sure if the little one I am doing will go or not but I will leave it up and see. Look for a big one to start around the end of September. It will probably be around 50 spots with a dead line for Christmas.

Back