• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Curious; What does Zoetrope mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really awesome in person. The animation effects looks alot better when it's not filtered through a camcorder: it bordered on being creepy the first time I saw it. It's one of my favorite parts of DLR. ^_^

-JD

I saw my first zoetrope during our last trip to Orlando in October. But it was at Universal's Blue Man Group show. They have a couple on either side of the stage and I had the same reaction when I first saw it activated. A little creepy, but very cool! Of course, this Toy Story zoetrope totally blows theirs out of the water! :eek:

The term zoetrope is from the Greek words zoe, life and τρόπος - tropos, turn. It may be taken to mean wheel of life.
It's basically the beginning of the invention of movies (although zoetropes existed a long time before that).

If you ever come to DLR, go to DCA, in the Animation building in the Hollywood section, they have some of them. They have frames of Disney characters and you can spin them around and see how the animation works, and they also provide long strips of paper and little pencils so you can make your own little animation (you draw yours and insert them into the zoetrope and then spin it to see). Really fun and neat to see it in action.

Hannette

Old school zoetrope:
220px-Zoetrope.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back