• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Did I pay too much for one of my HGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I pay too much for one of my HGs?

Geoff

Almost >< A DPF Charter Member
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I just spent $48.50 on eBay for:

pin33857

Did I overpay, or was that a fair price? I have seen them go for far more, but I always have been kind of leery that people tend to inflate prices on HTF stuff to the point of insanity. Opinions?

I personally think it depends on what you really want to pay for it / how much you really want a pin.

I am not sure about the market value on this pin, but if you think it was worth $48.50 then it most certainly is. I know that when I sometimes purchase pins at that price (these tend me be the LE 100's) I think that I am getting a good deal.

Nice pin, though, Lilo makes a nice Belle! Enjoy your new pin.

I have been watching a ton of Ebay sellers. Although I do not know the value of this particular pin, if you e-mail me the seller's id, I can tell you a thing or two about their inflation rate.
I have someone in mind and she is almost always 30-40% over true auction style value.

That seems a little high to me, but not outrageous. I got mine several years ago and then going rate then was probably $30 or so. If you overpaid, I wouldn't say it was by more than $15 or so, and even if you did, sometimes it is worth it. Let's say it took you a year to find that pin again at a price $15 cheaper. Would that $15 be worth getting to have that pin in you collection for the last year? If you really like the pin, then I'd say heck yeah.

I sometimes look at pins like I'm renting them. If I think I may trade away a pin someday and that I may not get what I paid or traded for it I'll imagine that scenario and come up with a dollar value that I think I could potentially lose. Then I'll ask myself if that amount of money is worth renting the pin for awhile. Really weird, I know, but it works for me!

If the pin was one of your holy grails, then it was certainly worth the price. Our strategy is that if we invest money into a pin for our collections, it is with the intention the pin will be with us forever. This prevents us from going crazy over buying ever pin we "think" we like. If we're not sure and it might be traded away, we will pay original cost, but not much more than that.

I think you got a good deal. Even though this pin is an LE1000, if you look on pinpics, the 'Members Wanting' is pretty high, especially compared to the 'Members Trading'. And that you have seen it for sale on the evil Bay for way more, sometimes you just gotta jump at the opportunity. It is one of your HGs.. And if you ever see it for less - oh well - can't go back in time - and chances are you won't see it for less.. :)

Hi there, :wavey:

If you enjoy it and feel happy with it, then you didn't overpay!

As a very wise lady once told me, 'once bought, price forgot'. Like all collectors, I've overpaid at times and underpaid at times; I figure it all adds up in the end as long as you gain pleasure from your collection.

And, if it is anything like the photo, it's a very beautiful pin!

I agree with Erudolf on all accounts. I have seen several of these auctioned for about $30 but $15 more isn't a horrible price to pay to get your grail immediately. Awesome pin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back