• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION DPF White Elephant Gift Exchange 2024?

Would you like to see a White Elephant Gift Exchange in December of 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with a price cap

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Yes, with no price cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for a pin - no other gifts included

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Yes, and I can include other gifts

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
QUESTION DPF White Elephant Gift Exchange 2024?

TonkaToy

Scrapper Spotter!
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Hi everyone!

I am thinking of trying a White Elephant Gift Exchange in December of 2024. I haven't hashed out the rules yet, but the idea is that you would gift a "White Elephant" pin to another participant.

This pin could be something you have not been able to trade (for whatever reason), have owned for so long you don't want it anymore, has ridiculous theme/look/artwork, is a duplicate in your collection, or was gifted to you and is just outright not your cup of tea, etc.

I would like to put at least one restriction on the exchange that the front of the pin cannot be flawed.

The pin could have a loose or repaired pin-post, or stains on the back - but the front of the pin should be in decent shape.

There will also be no rules on LE size, so be aware that you might give away an LE pin and receive a HM, or visa versa.

Let me know what you think, and what sorts of rules you would like to see implemented if you do want to see this type of exchange happen.

I was washing the dishes and thinking about the logistics of this exchange.

We could do it like a traditional White Elephant exchange.

1. Each player provides one wrapped gift to contribute to a common pool. You'll take a photo of your wrapped gift and mail me the jpeg. I will then post a picture of all the gifts which will give us our 'common pool'.

2. I will have a MOD do a random assignment of numbers to determine what order we play in.

3. The first player selects a gift from the pool and I will open it for them and post a picture of the contents.

4. The following players can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pool or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else.

To keep things moving along, there are a couple of limits on gift swapping:
  • A present can only be stolen once per turn, which means players who have a gift stolen from them have to wait to get it back.
  • After three swaps, the turn automatically comes to an end (otherwise things could drag on for a long time).
5. After all players have had a turn, the first player gets a chance to swap the gift they are holding for any other opened gift. Anyone whose gift is stolen may steal from someone else (as long as that person hasn’t been stolen from yet). When someone declines to steal a gift, the game comes to an end.
Note that for this last “extra” turn, the three-swap rule doesn’t apply. Players can keep swapping until someone decides to stand pat, or there are no other eligible people to steal from.

Once all the swapping is done, I'll email a list of who is sending their gift to who. I'll private message each of you with the address of your recipient.

OR

We can simply know who is getting our gift by doing a secret Santa type exchange where random partners are put together.

I was washing the dishes and thinking about the logistics of this exchange.

We could do it like a traditional White Elephant exchange.

1. Each player provides one wrapped gift to contribute to a common pool. You'll take a photo of your wrapped gift and mail me the jpeg. I will then post a picture of all the gifts which will give us our 'common pool'.

2. I will have a MOD do a random assignment of numbers to determine what order we play in.

3. The first player selects a gift from the pool and I will open it for them and post a picture of the contents.

4. The following players can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the pool or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else.

To keep things moving along, there are a couple of limits on gift swapping:
  • A present can only be stolen once per turn, which means players who have a gift stolen from them have to wait to get it back.
  • After three swaps, the turn automatically comes to an end (otherwise things could drag on for a long time).
5. After all players have had a turn, the first player gets a chance to swap the gift they are holding for any other opened gift. Anyone whose gift is stolen may steal from someone else (as long as that person hasn’t been stolen from yet). When someone declines to steal a gift, the game comes to an end.
Note that for this last “extra” turn, the three-swap rule doesn’t apply. Players can keep swapping until someone decides to stand pat, or there are no other eligible people to steal from.

Once all the swapping is done, I'll email a list of who is sending their gift to who. I'll private message each of you with the address of your recipient.

OR

We can simply know who is getting our gift by doing a secret Santa type exchange where random partners are put together.
I should be able to facilitate a zoom session, if that might make things easier/quicker? :p

I'm interested; though I think it might be nice to have it in two parts: we do the initial exchange virtually, and once you know who you're sending your White Elephant pin to, you send an additional pin in the package that is tailored to their wants/collections, or at least something that you've put some thought into. Then we're not just all exchanging and receiving unwanted pins, lol!

I'm interested; though I think it might be nice to have it in two parts: we do the initial exchange virtually, and once you know who you're sending your White Elephant pin to, you send an additional pin in the package that is tailored to their wants/collections, or at least something that you've put some thought into. Then we're not just all exchanging and receiving unwanted pins, lol!
This is also what I was initially thinking. The "White Elephant" pin could even be tailored to the recipients wants - like the "one mans trash is another's treasure" concept. So maybe we make it a straight exchange and have it be a two pin package - "White Elephant and Golden Egg" type of thing.

Def interested in a white elephant but maybe have some guidelines on what pins can be entered? Like all OE/ LRs or LE XXXX range or something

I also like the zoom idea! It’s be fun to “meet” folks whom I’ve only met online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fun, I'd be "game" too! ;)

I would prefer a traditional white elephant game with stealing over a Secret Santa type of event because we already have two Secret Santa events each year and this would be fun way to switch it up. I also like the idea of sending a second more tailored pin to the final recipient of our pin (with the caveat that we may not have something from their ISO so will do our best to send something for them but it *may* be just a nice pin if we have no matches.)

Back