• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Growing my pin collection

Growing my pin collection

alanfalcon

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Alan and I've started collecting Disney pins a little over a year ago and I've been loving it (even if my pocketbook has been less thrilled!) I've picked up some pins from eBay, some pins from local flea markets and craft fairs, some from Whatnot, quite a few direct from Disney both online at at Downtown Disney, Disney Springs, and WDW (sales and pinboard trades), and even had the opportunity to trade some pins with collectors outside of Magic Hap-pins 2023 in my first ever trip to Florida.

So as you may have guessed from reading the above, I ended up with a few scrappers in my collection, though I'm still no good at really identifying them. But altogether I've been loving my journey, and happy to discover this community.

As for how I got into pin trading, it's a little bit of a different story than the usual one! I'm a big Disney fan (especially counting Marvel and Star Wars) and a huge collector already (lots of pops, comics, some toys/statues, trading cards galore, books, and more). I've got too much stuff, in other words, and that got me into the idea of digital collecting (first with CryptoKitties) which in a roundabout way led to me joining Dapper Labs, creators of many fine digital collectibles. I helped run CryptoKitties for about a year, and eventually co-created NBA Top Shot. We knew we wanted to expand beyond sports to the largest owner of fun IP in the world, and this led eventually to me having the opportunity to help co-create another digital collectible platform—Disney Pinnacle. And it was from learning about the physical pin trading world that I fell in love with the pins and started collecting them myself, and so here I am!

I love Darkwing Duck pins, fun crossover pins, arcade/pinball stuff... looking forward to sharing my pins and seeing everyone else's and continuing to learn about this crazy fun world :D

Hello @alanfalcon, nice to meet you. I've downloaded the Pinnacle app and receive offers but just haven't taken the leap to purchase any of the pins as of yet. I did appreciate the designs that popped up for the recent Valentine's Day drop though. I look forward to learning more about Pinnacle and some of the benefits of this new form of collecting vs. physical collecting. I too collect Funkos and, once upon a time, Pokemon/Yugioh cards!

Hope you have a wonderful time here and if you'd ever like to trade just reach out. We love all sorts of collectibles!

Welcome to the forum (and pin collecting)! :lgm: That's a neat story of how your interests evolved and got you to physical pins. Don't sweat the scrappers too much. We've all ended up with them when starting out. And even much later! You'll get the hand of spotting them. Or at least most of them. :)

Hi Alan and Welcome!

I completely second what @Ajk said regarding trading for scrappers/dodgy pins. Everyone has accidentally traded for these annoying pins at some point, for any number of reasons, including, but not limited to:

1. just not knowing the indicators that the pins weren't legitimate
2. trading in suboptimal conditions (poor lighting, rushed trade)
the differences between the scrappers and legit ones are minute and often, a side-by-side comparison is required to be sure

Anyone who claims to have never traded for these pins either is lying or just hasn't been in pins very long. I've been trading pins for a very long time and I still trade for the occasional bad pin. The only true mistake is not to learn when you make these mistakes.

Back