• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm...........Will "Pin"Fever go the way of "Beanie Baby" Fever??
The regular DIZPINS site closing yes,but the board NO..we could get info alot of other places to..like WDW Magic/Intercot and so on
But I do miss the regular Dizpins site

As long as the items are limited editions and keeping the items at a LOW edition size here and there, the collectors will still come. The Beanie Babies started going under as soon as they started mass producing and not making the limited edition sizes. People just lost interest......With Disney they still have a very strong following and even though there has been a change in management, as long as we keep going to the events that they offer, they will keep it going. It really is the bottom line at the end of the day. The Vinylmations again, same thing, they need to keep them at a low edition size and keep the events strong and going and it will all still continue. We are hoping for a very strong CM to take over the Merchandise Events position and bring in a new beginning for both products!!!!!! Between all the new traders and so many of the old, they really could have an amazing come back!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disney also stands for DREAM!!!! It just might come true :)

There are alot of Disney collectors that have hometown meets in their area. Our Sawgrass Mill Meet was (due to change of management at the mall we are waiting for a new approval) awesome!!!! People even came from as far as Orlando and Tampa area to attend. You have to make it fun and exciting. We used to have drawings each meet with some nice prizes - people made snacks and brought them and it was all around FUN!!!!! It is what you put into it!!!!!!

The Disney Shopping I think slowed down due to they are suppose to be moving and closing down in the Carolinas and moving to another state. So they are in the process of I guess packing etc etc etc.

But, I think the more we all let Disney know that we are all still out here and LOVE collecting and the products (I have seen a very nice change in the pins that they have been making then what they had a couple of years ago). It should be just fine. But they need to hear from the GUEST!!!! Let them know you are out here and love the hobby. You can post and talk to each other over and over again, but you need to write to TOP Management - They are the ones that need to know
you are out here!!!!!! Without that, it will just fizzle and slowly go away until the next craze................

We all made Dizpins work since the very beginning and even though it is retired, the information is still out there and by the look of the boards, there are still plenty of us to keep it going and STRONG at that :)

The future of the Pin/Vinylmation Hobby can be positive & strong - it is a team effort and we need to make sure Disney understands how much we love the hobby.
All of us spend ALOT of money, not only on pins and vinylmations, but for so many of us that are not local, so many guests spend on hotel, gas and food besides buying the merchandise. So it all counts :)

Off the soap box and looking forward to 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dana
cruisepl@att.net

I think a telling sign is that the What's HapPINing Blog that used to be updated daily, or at least 3 - 4 times a week, is not getting about 2 - 3 updates a month. Meanwhile, the vinylmation blog is getting updated fairly often. Disney is just as aware of the cycle in collectibles as anyone else. They know the hobby is on a downward spiral. Why do you think the big push was made with vinyls? Why else would the same staff that are creating or promoting vinyls used to be doing pins exclusively.

Remember in the 1980's and early 1990's how many people said they were savind baseball cards for their kids college. Well, there kids are college age now, and you can buy their entire collections, tens of thousands of cards, for $50 - $100 on craigslist. If you are collecting pins for investment purposes, I know its harsh, but wake up and realize that most of the pins will be worth just a little bit more than the going price of scrap metal within a few years.

The stamp hobby faded. The sportscard hobby is dead. We all know what happened to Beanie Babies and Boyd's Bears. The only thing that keeps the coin market floating is the artificial value created through the price of various metals. If you think it won't happen to pins because it is a Disney product, well, then I am not sure you can be convinced.

That isn't to say that some pins won't be worth something one day. A 1952 Mickey Mantle baseball card is always going to have some value. Some pins will always have some value. But yes, the hobby is fading.

That doesn't mean you don't have to stop collecting though. The downward spiral is a good time to pick up some nice pins as others get out of the hobby, espicially for those of us (like me) who are trying to finish some collections out to display.

I think a telling sign is that the What's HapPINing Blog that used to be updated daily, or at least 3 - 4 times a week, is not getting about 2 - 3 updates a month. Meanwhile, the vinylmation blog is getting updated fairly often. Disney is just as aware of the cycle in collectibles as anyone else. They know the hobby is on a downward spiral. Why do you think the big push was made with vinyls? Why else would the same staff that are creating or promoting vinyls used to be doing pins exclusively.

Remember in the 1980's and early 1990's how many people said they were savind baseball cards for their kids college. Well, there kids are college age now, and you can buy their entire collections, tens of thousands of cards, for $50 - $100 on craigslist. If you are collecting pins for investment purposes, I know its harsh, but wake up and realize that most of the pins will be worth just a little bit more than the going price of scrap metal within a few years.

The stamp hobby faded. The sportscard hobby is dead. We all know what happened to Beanie Babies and Boyd's Bears. The only thing that keeps the coin market floating is the artificial value created through the price of various metals. If you think it won't happen to pins because it is a Disney product, well, then I am not sure you can be convinced.

That isn't to say that some pins won't be worth something one day. A 1952 Mickey Mantle baseball card is always going to have some value. Some pins will always have some value. But yes, the hobby is fading.

That doesn't mean you don't have to stop collecting though. The downward spiral is a good time to pick up some nice pins as others get out of the hobby, espicially for those of us (like me) who are trying to finish some collections out to display.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you about this. I do NOT think Disney pins will "pay for anything", but they do tend to hold their value. As long as Disney makes the movies available to future generations, there will be those who want the pins. As pins get older they become more scarce as people toss them out, yardsale them, and give them away. So those that do collect and want the older pins will recognize their value. This tends to trend with the overall economic condition of the country. Attendance is down as Disney parks, but this doesn't mean they are falling out of favor. It just means folks don't have as much discretionary money as the did before the crash. As the economy recovers, so will the hobby of pin collecting. Disney just isn't ever going to "go out of style" if you will and I believe pins will always be a part of their tradition. Sorry, but that's just the way I see it.

Good luck on your collections. I know what it's like to just need one more pin to finish a set.

The updates on the ODPT.COM and the Vinylmation.Com site has slowed down I am assuming due to Steven Miller moving to a different position in the Disney Company and Disney has not replaced a new CM in that position yet. Maybe they can get Tim to come back and take the position and get things Hap PIN ing again for one and all :) Just a thought, he already knows the ropes........ Just a thought????

Dana
cruisepl@att.net

If you are collecting pins for investment purposes, I know its harsh, but wake up and realize that most of the pins will be worth just a little bit more than the going price of scrap metal within a few years.

I'm not sure where all this "investment" talk stemmed from, but if everyone is referring to my comment about my collection holding its value until I get rid of, I think people are misunderstanding me.

I come from collecting comics in the 1990s- I *know* its stupid to use collectibles as investments. I collect what I like...no other reason. However, my husband and I like to keep on top of how our stuff is doing, in case we want (or even need) to get rid of it. I'm rather sick and tired of people saying that it's wrong to consider the monetary value of pins (not aimed at you, person I'm quoting....just in general, there's this anti-value trend on this board).

But my point was just that I was thankful that Disney seems to hold its value better. I'm had a lot of stuff I'm gotten rid of over the years, and it's definitely always been pennies on the dollar. I won't make everything back when I decide to change over, but at least we should make most of it back. And I'll always keep my favorites, just like I kept my favorite comics.

So yeah- not *in* it for the money, but likes to keep on top of the money that IS tied up in my hobby.

We can all do our part to keep pin trading going by recruiting "newbies"!

I tell everyone and anyone who will listen about my hobby. When others ask me advice on planning their Disney trips, I always make sure to tell them about pin trading and sometimes even provide a couple of traders.

When I see young kids at the parks looking at my pins inquisitively, I tell the parents and kids all about them. My last trip, I kept a "Happy Birthday" pin to give to the first person with a bday button that I saw and told them all about our hobbby. (I later saw that family of 3 all with lanyards on!) On same trip, two young boys were starting pin trading with THREE traders on their lanyard (all brand new OE, at that!). I gave them 3 more.

Recruiting is where it is at...for the survival of pin trading. Don't you think??

I don't know, getting people interested in the shiny pieces of metal doesn't seem to be that hard. I'd like to learn more about the reasons that people give it up.

I don't know, getting people interested in the shiny pieces of metal doesn't seem to be that hard. I'd like to learn more about the reasons that people give it up.

Agreed. That would help as well...I have heard money & simply lost interest. But why have they lost interest? Is it the lack of ODPT updates, quality of pins, scrapper issue? Or nothing to do with Disney at all? All of these things are pretty much out of our hands... (of course we can complain but I'm talking directly affect the outcome)

"Newbies" don't require so many releases, ODPT updates, quality pins...they are just excited to be in it, learn new things.
Like you said, getting new people is easy...keeping them, not so much. So...to me...getting new people would be the answer to keep pin trading around and to keep it from becoming a "beanie baby".

Well, all I can say is I HOPE NOT!! lol I have several tubs of TY items in my house that are not worth a thing now... and honestly that part does not bother me as much as the fact that there is just no interest in them now. It was always a ton of fun to go out "on the hunt" for the newest ones with friends and family. We had a blast with it. If I had the room I would get them all out and set them around as I still do love them, esp the Peace Bears. I think I have about 50 of them. :-D

I wish ds.com would pick the pin releases back up. It has been so sad lately to not see new items coming out and I am still sad over the missing Tink as pins! With not living near a park or anything I relied on ds.com for my pin buying (well aside from the boards or ebay). I wish I were near some place that there were trade events hosted.

Like Kidup pin trading is a hobby of memories for me. The fun of the hunt with my daughter, the excitement when getting a holy grail, the people I have met and the friends I have made. When I sell or trade pins it is not for profit but in the hopes someone else will enjoy what I had when they recieve their "new" pins. I hope pin trading continues and it becomes more about the fun than the money.

We can all do our part to keep pin trading going by recruiting "newbies"!

I tell everyone and anyone who will listen about my hobby. When others ask me advice on planning their Disney trips, I always make sure to tell them about pin trading and sometimes even provide a couple of traders.

When I see young kids at the parks looking at my pins inquisitively, I tell the parents and kids all about them. My last trip, I kept a "Happy Birthday" pin to give to the first person with a bday button that I saw and told them all about our hobbby. (I later saw that family of 3 all with lanyards on!) On same trip, two young boys were starting pin trading with THREE traders on their lanyard (all brand new OE, at that!). I gave them 3 more.

Recruiting is where it is at...for the survival of pin trading. Don't you think??

Exactly!
I myself may be quite unapproachable and intimidating looking,but my wife isn't,and she has spread the pin fever to many people during our visits to the park
She's given a few kids some HMs just to start with and explained to them how they can trade the pins for any pin they want on the cast members lanyards when she see's them looking at our lanyards or books.She's also given kids pins of their favorite characters just to brighten their day.

Thinking about it,I wonder if the parents ever think later on "hey,maybe that girl who gave us the pin was an undercover employee! I mean had she not given that pin we wouldn't have had to go buy our kid more!" :lol::lol:

Unfortunately trying to spread the fever can be tough too,as we've had ALOT of people give angry looks and lose interest when we inform them that we cannot and will not sell them any of our pins,even when we tell them they can buy pins in the store and trade.They get so offended for some reason when you tell them selling pins is against park rules...

I always carry birthday pins, award pins, good sport pins, etc. in my pockets and backpack. When I see someone with a celebrating button I always give them a pin. I give them to kids on buses, kids helping with other kids, folks standing in line, and anyone who looks like their day needs a highlight. I wear my "special keeper" lanyard which is wide and has a lot of unusual pins. When people ask about it I tell them about my hobby and give them a pin to get started. I carry my little "business cards" and DPF cards and hand them out also. It's work to keep the hobby going, but worth it. I got an email from someone I spoke to in a store about three years ago. He now has a wonderful collection of Donald Duck pins and wanted me to see a picture. It was great.

Rache!
und ich reiss das Herz aus deiner Brust
Rache!
weil du für deine Sünden büssen musst

Can you tell me what this says? I can get most of it - Revenge, my ??? for your heart in your breast, Revenge, because you repent for your sin

That's what I'm guessing it says. How close am I?

We need more like you out there. I wish I could do that, but with a teacher's salary (which it seems EVERYONE wants to slash) I can barely afford to buy pins anymore at all. Currently my entire collection is keeper's, I might have a total of 5 pins to trade, and I don't see myself purchasing much in the forseeable future. My wife and I spend out tax return money on annual passes every year. We go to the parks about twice a month. We see lots of people in the parks with lanyards. Hopefully the casual collector market will remain strong!

I always carry birthday pins, award pins, good sport pins, etc. in my pockets and backpack. When I see someone with a celebrating button I always give them a pin. I give them to kids on buses, kids helping with other kids, folks standing in line, and anyone who looks like their day needs a highlight. I wear my "special keeper" lanyard which is wide and has a lot of unusual pins. When people ask about it I tell them about my hobby and give them a pin to get started. I carry my little "business cards" and DPF cards and hand them out also. It's work to keep the hobby going, but worth it. I got an email from someone I spoke to in a store about three years ago. He now has a wonderful collection of Donald Duck pins and wanted me to see a picture. It was great.

I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers either. Collectables typically follow a model. Most people think of it as being cyclical. But for things which have an artificial value based on percieved scarcity, the trend tends to be more linear. Here's to hoping that all the pins will keep some value.

I, however, know the true value lies within my feelings. No, you can't have my Kermit pin collection, no matter how much cash you have.

Rache!
und ich reiss das Herz aus deiner Brust
Rache!
weil du für deine Sünden büssen musst

Can you tell me what this says? I can get most of it - Revenge, my ??? for your heart in your breast, Revenge, because you repent for your sin

That's what I'm guessing it says. How close am I?

Almost:

Revenge
And I will pull the heart out of your chest
Revenge
Because you have to pay (bleed) for your sins

Rather difficult to go from german to dutch to english but I think this is it.

I changed it to english since I was told it's a problem to have and I can see why now lol,don't wanna have my sig getting things offtopic lol

We need more like you out there. I wish I could do that, but with a teacher's salary (which it seems EVERYONE wants to slash) I can barely afford to buy pins anymore at all. Currently my entire collection is keeper's, I might have a total of 5 pins to trade, and I don't see myself purchasing much in the forseeable future. My wife and I spend out tax return money on annual passes every year. We go to the parks about twice a month. We see lots of people in the parks with lanyards. Hopefully the casual collector market will remain strong!
Do you ever play the games at paradise pier? I know you said you don't have much money to buy pins and stuff,but if you do indeed play the games for the fun of it,give the plushy prize to a random kid somewhere in the park ^_^ my wife does this all the time,and it gives them huge smiles ;)

Pin Collecting goes back more then a century. There is an exhibit at the St. Louis History for the 1904 World's Fair including what souvenirs were sold and there's a board display full of lapel pins.

You're probably right if you think the market for "Disney Trading" pins is slowing, the world economy has taken a downward spiral and the people who bought pins for the sake of jumping on the money bandwagon are taking notice and pulling out. Disney as a whole has slowed to accomodate the economic trend, it has to make money on it otherwise it can't support the Pin-Trading hobby. I mean look at the Magic Kingdom for example, they moved the Main Street Pin-Trading store from the jewelers to a very small booth outside.

The only thing to look out for is if Disney gets rid of CM pin trading itself, that would be the final nail in the coffin as as the only other way for trading would be supported events or individually.

Last edited:
The economic situation makes things particularly a little wobbly right now. I don't think people are as willing to buy a ton of expensive pins as they were 5 years ago. Disney seems to be trying to close the gap, by increasing prices and cutting costs making things worse for attracting people to buy things. I think the pin design/event teams are being asked to do more with less people and so we're getting frustrated by the lack of info, while they're struggling to get their designs in on time. Not dealing with the scrapper/counterfeit situation. All providing reasons for people to just get out.

If pin prices keep sky-rocketing, pin collecting and pin trading in general will be smothered. Disney is raising the cost of pins expecting traders to buy at the same rate they did even five years ago, which is unrealistic especially when this recession may double-dip.

Despite rising cost, pins still continue to be one of the most affordable keepsakes, and that's what pins will continue to be for me—keepsakes. My pin collection will most likely continue to be small, but I enjoy online trading and cute new designs. I'm rocking my Flower and Garden logo pin hardcore because I love spinning the center flower!

I will continue to liesurely trade, but Disney is effectively preventing my pin fever from fully taking hold with their price increases! I wonder if iI should be thankful in some weird, quasi-way.

~Gargress

Last edited:

If pin prices keep sky-rocketing, pin collecting and pin trading in general will be smothered. Disney is raising the cost of pins expecting traders to buy at the same rate they did even five years ago, which is unrealistic especially when this recession may double-dip.

Despite rising cost, pins still continue to be one of the most affordable keepsakes, and that's what pins will continue to be for me—keepsakes. My pin collection will most likely continue to be small, but I enjoy online trading and cute new designs. I'm rocking my Flower and Garden logo pin hardcore because I love spinning the center flower!

I will continue to liesurely trade, but Disney is effectively preventing my pin fever from fully taking hold with their price increases! I wonder if iI should be thankful in some weird, quasi-way.

~Gargress
Yeah the prices killed me when I saw the sci-fi academy pin list...especially the mystery sets...thats alot of cash to not know what you're getting,especially when not many people may be into the retro atari cart look,making em lousy traders if you get doubles.

If only DL and WDW would follow TDL and TDS with the item quality.The prices for pins and goods there have increased,but wow is the quality intense! Over here the prices are raising while the quality is dropping *stares at the horribly cheap duffy outfits and lame rack pins as of late*

Amen to that. I love my pins and collect them for my own enjoyment and no other reason. It's not my fault I like so many of them:)

Haha! I know what you mean! I'm so attached to most of my collection that I don't have many pins to trade. I have to periodically make myself weed pins out of my collection for trade. :D

~Gargress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back