• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ideas for pin boards needed: Where to get or what to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideas for pin boards needed: Where to get or what to use

Merryweather

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
408   0   0
My pin bags got a bit too full (don't they all?) and I decided to switch some of my Tink pins from WDW CM lanyard's onto a board to save place for my better Tink pins.

I see a lot of people are using cork boards. Where do you get them ... errr ... inexpensively?

Also, what else do you use? I have seen a board that looks like a felt backing.
Have you seen useful stuff in second hand/thrift stores ... should I go "GoodWill Hunting"?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
You could always make your own too :)
I know some craft stores have framing materials.
So you could buy the cork & the framing materials there.
Or even get some fabric and cover the cork with a fancy fabric you like :)

Great! I did not know Michaels had cork boards ... well I have not been there in a while.
I do not have their coupon, but I have a coupon from JoAnn Fabrics. I think they would accept competitor's coupon.

Great! I did not know Michaels had cork boards ... well I have not been there in a while.
I do not have their coupon, but I have a coupon from JoAnn Fabrics. I think they would accept competitor's coupon.

I don't know if the one in your area does it, but at our Michael's they give you a coupon that is good for the following week for 40% off one item that isn't already on sale after you buy something- they give it with your receipt at check-out(if you purchase Sunday through Saturday it is good for the following Sunday through Saturday). Also, friend them on Facebook and they put up coupons from time to time.

I've gotten quite a few of my shadowbox frames this way, because they are normally quite expensive, but 40% off definitely helps!

Ho bby Lobby is good as well....try Goodwill Stores and Salvation Army stores

Heheheee that is what I had meant by going "GoodWill hunting" and we did this past weekend. But the coarkboards I found in Goodwill and JoAnn did not seem thick enough to securely hold a pin. They are more like a thin coat of coark on wood backing.

I'll check Michaels.

I got my board from a stationary shop for about £2, it's not huge but it's big enough. I then decorated it by painting it with white acrylic to prepare the cork board then I just used handy dandy emulsion paint and painted it pink. I think you could just paint straight on to the board with emulsion paint but it might not cover as easily. You can buy emulsion from any DIY store as sample pots (they cost about £1 over here!) and you can get loads of colours! A sample pot would probably do two boards maybe more.

This is what I did with mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Colche/Pins/boardfull.png < before paint

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Colche/Pins/boardfull-1.jpg < After paint

Hope that helps!

I got my board from a stationary shop for about £2, it's not huge but it's big enough. I then decorated it by painting it with white acrylic to prepare the cork board then I just used handy dandy emulsion paint and painted it pink. I think you could just paint straight on to the board with emulsion paint but it might not cover as easily. You can buy emulsion from any DIY store as sample pots (they cost about £1 over here!) and you can get loads of colours! A sample pot would probably do two boards maybe more.

This is what I did with mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Colche/Pins/boardfull.png < before paint

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Colche/Pins/boardfull-1.jpg < After paint

Hope that helps!

I'm in the same boat right now, I have a 2'x3' board with my collection and a separate 18''x24'' board with just stitch, and I need a new cork board to hold my spill over pins because the big one is super crowded! I think i'll check goodwill...I like what you did with the painted board! Your pin collection is really cute, I love lady and the tramp and thumper :)
Another suggestion I have if you don't want cork is to go to a fabric store and make banners (I've seen some pictures of someone that did that) and put felt between 2 layers of fabric, then you can hang it from a string, a rod, or just on the wall and display your pins on something that's not too heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back