• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is there something that you collect, that you probably really shouldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something that you collect, that you probably really shouldn't?

hopemax

DPF Super Moderator
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
202   0   0
Partner to my other thread...

Is there something that you sort of, or accidentally collected, that you really should just add to your trades list and move on, but you just can't?

For me, it's Stitch pins. Most of them were ones I just traded off of lanyards, but there were also a bunch of cast pins and event pins that since I was able to buy, I did. Somehow I have 196 Stitch pins, but I don't collect him. But just today, I was looking at them trying to figure out which ones I could trade. The only ones I would trade, are the ones that probably aren't wanted. A lot I would have to still keep, because they are part of other collections of mine (attractions, HM's etc.)

Well one thing I started "accidentally" collecting is high end fakes and scrappers. It started with some bad trades and then I decided if it wasn't too costly I would start looking for more. Like DA and low LE's, it's kind of a sad reminder each time I see that book I have set aside, lol.

Figment.... I didn't know what I was getting into, and now he's my biggest collection! Living on the West Coast, I didn't know how hard it would be to get some of the pins, and how popular some are.

EVERYTHING!!! LOL... I have ended up with an ecletic collection of pins. I am going to have to sit down sometime soon and weed out the ones I REALLY must have (Winnie the Pooh and Gang) vs the ones that I don't really need to keep. I have found myself just picking up pins to pick up pins.

:lol: Why did we even start!? Whenever a new trader comes up and asks "Can you give any advice to a new trader?" We always tell them "Walk away now...."

They never listen.

This is exactly what I was told... I JUST started in July during my trip to WDW and I have burried myself up to my ears in pins. So much so, I have forgotten all the places I have put the pins!!!

Belle!!! Debby was offered three when we first started trading online. She accepted because she wanted to expand our genre of traders, but immediately fell in love with them. She initially kept them on our trades list and even received several tempting offers, but shortly removed them from that list. She has gradually added to the collection and would like to quit, but realizes that she is stuck...it seems that most Belle pins fall into the catch-all "pretty pin" category that she can't resist.

Ugh.....D23 pins!!!!!!! I started collecting D23 pins (pins that D23 on the front) the first year and have all from the charter year and a few others but I'm so irked right now with D23 that I don't even know why I bother putting them on my wants list. D23 offers virtually nothing for those that don't live near a park unless you plan on vacationing to a park and even if you do have a trip planned at the same time as an event you can't even go to it because it sells out in seconds because members are bringing a bunch of non-members. And 20 bucks for ever single pin when it is an OE is a rip-off. For me D23 has become nothing more than the priviledge to spend even more money.....and yet I keep getting suckered in for fear that the year I decide not to renew there will be something amazing....ugh....

Ok, sorry. Rant over!

actually I remembered a collectiong I would like to start but have not yet wanted to start (if that makes sense) DLRP pin trading night pins..since they are impossible to trade for Id be purchasing them so thats the main reason Ive not started collecting them yet XD

I had a bunch of the DLR Piece of History pins as traders then I thought to myself, well I have this many already I should just keep them. So now I collect them (at least I'm almost done). It's something really random and something i wouldn't normally collect, but I don't really plan on getting rid of it.

Also, I started collecting a few Up pins which I really should put up for trade put for some reason I still add more to my wants list once in awhile. I'm not even sure why.

Figment.... I didn't know what I was getting into, and now he's my biggest collection! Living on the West Coast, I didn't know how hard it would be to get some of the pins, and how popular some are.

Probably Alice pins. Everyone I talk to is like, "Oh, really? Well... good luck." But they are just so cool! :)

Both of these are some of my original collections, so I keep plugging away at them. I went through Pinpics and realized that even though I have been actively collecting Alice for 10 years, I probably only have about 20% of the pins. Just too many DA, DS.com, WDI pins to keep up. I used to consider it a "primary" collection, now I realize its a "secondary" collection. This is true for basically all 3 of my "character" collections. Add when I can, but I'm not going to be searching Ebay for them.

I just went through Figment last night. I was doing pretty well, up through about Pinpics #50,000, which is about Fall 2006. Sure, I am missing the original pre-trading ones, and the ones that were released in frames at events (I am not that much of a completist that I need these). The other pins I am missing, I don't think would be too difficult to find. But after Fall 2006, they started focusing on him more. A lot of WDI releases, more releases at the Epcot Event, and of course the new Reveal Conceal collection. I could catch up on a lot of things, but it's a lot of money, and from my other posts, you can see I've been spending too much money already. :lol:

Of course, I have my pin collection which already takes alot of my money. But I also think I'm about to start collecting Olszewski Miniatures, which will take even more of my money...

Of course, I have my pin collection which already takes alot of my money. But I also think I'm about to start collecting Olszewski Miniatures, which will take even more of my money...

But they are beautiful! I have some of the Beauty & the Beast, and Dumbo pieces from the Storytime collection. And Sleeping Beauty Castle. He does such a wonderful job working in the tiny details. I've met him a couple times, and he's a really nice man as well. You can tell he loves what he does.

There are a few that I really should not have started collecting. All of my time, money, and energy goes to my Alice collection but I have a few on the sides that I feel like I just had to collect.

Bongo the Bear
Pins of Ariel & Eric together
Certain characters from Fantasia
Pretty Princess sets

I have the Alice Gallery of Light and absolutely love it. They're expensive but worth it :)

You and me both... Figment collector on the West coast wondering how on earth I am to keep up with all these darn releases...

But Figgy is special to me! The very first Park(TM) I went to was Epcot Center back in 89 on a high school field trip, when my best friend was acting like a major butthead. So I bought a little stuffed Figment doll and he rode all the rides with me. And he's soooOOooo cute! Kinda hard to resist...

This cracked me up, because when my husband took me to the parks two years ago we got a free pin for paying for parking. I insisted we go and get the free pin, not knowing that you could trade them. He's the one who informed me that you could trade the pins for ones you liked...etc and I had NO clue! When I asked to trade a cast member, she looked at me and said "Do you have a lot?" and I said "No, this is my first one!". She laughed and looked at my husband and said "Watch out, she'll bed hooked and it'll cost you!" LOL

Of course, she was right! After buying two pin purses, two lots off of EBAY (in my defense..I had no clue that was bad! lol..although none of them were fake!), three lanyards and purchasing pins from MGM...he calls me obsessed now.
I'd have to say though, coming here while I'm still in the early stages of collecting has been extremely helpful!! It allows me to see what I really want to focus on!

:lol: Why did we even start!? Whenever a new trader comes up and asks "Can you give any advice to a new trader?" We always tell them "Walk away now...."

They never listen.

No kidding, me too!!!
I started pin trading to pass time at WDW while waiting for dining or shows or fastpass times. My wife faired far better with that than I did. :rolleyes:

I guess Hidden Mickeys. I started just wanting the Monorail HMs and the Tikis from a few years back... and I held out pretty well until the next WDW visit. :squint: Now I have a seperate PPID just for my HM wants. :rolleyes: They aren't a strong want, however, I can't cut that wants list loose, no matter how hard I try.

No kidding, me too!!!
I started pin trading to pass time at WDW while waiting for dining or shows or fastpass times. My wife faired far better with that than I did. :rolleyes:

I guess Hidden Mickeys. I started just wanting the Monorail HMs and the Tikis from a few years back... and I held out pretty well until the next WDW visit. :squint: Now I have a seperate PPID just for my HM wants. :rolleyes: They aren't a strong want, however, I can't cut that wants list loose, no matter how hard I try.

This reminded me of a story about my parents. Like, I've mentioned before, I've been collecting Disney pins since 1990-ish, so it was a natural for me to jump into into the deep end of Disney pin trading. But a lot of our vacations, my husband and I traveled the same time as my parents. My Mom is a CM, so it was just cheaper that way, no admission costs. My Mom would pick up a few pins for trading, not like me though. But every time we'd stop to look at a lanyard my Dad would roll his eyes, sigh. There were multiple times he would just break down and start telling us in an exasperated tone that we were wasting so much time, and it was his vacation too, and you go to Disney for the rides.

So fast-forward to November 2005. My parents were in the process of moving to Florida. I had helped my Dad drive cross-country with the cat, put their stuff in storage because they were waiting for their house back in WA to sell, before buying a house in FL. They had rented a little one bedroom apartment. I stuck around in FL to attend the last Spectacle of Pins event. My Mom had gone to her first Epcot event in Sept, and so the two of us were really excited to attend. Well, my Dad decided to come too. So what the heck do you do with a non-pin person at a pin event? He stood in the board lines with us, and after 2 trips when he pulled off pins that he liked but my Mom already had, we could see the blood starting to boil. So we changed our strategy. I pulled out my Hidden Mickey list, and a couple of examples and we said, "Look for the pins with this little Mickey head on it." He did a great job finding those on the board. And he complained like the rest of the pin traders about long lines, not refreshing and line jumpers.

After the move, my Dad was retired, and with only a tiny apartment to bum around with, he went to the parks a lot the first year. It didn't take long to tire of the need to ride rides all the time, so...he started pin trading. First, it was just an obsession to find all the HMs and then it expanded into other pins. Their collection is bigger than mine, he would chase me to lanyards and be annoyed when I got something first. My Mom and I would just laugh at him remembering the way he would almost yell at us at the park to,"Stop looking at all that pin stuff!"

Probably Alice pins. Everyone I talk to is like, "Oh, really? Well... good luck." But they are just so cool! :)

i know! i am really a NBC (specifically sally) colllector. but my good friend gillian (tyleet87) collects alice and now i want a couple bc they are really some of the prettiest ones out there. like omg the alice gomes are just gorgeous!!! i also collect random masterpiece and jessica pins. so im in dangerous territory lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back