• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Need some help which one is real ? Caterpillar and Mad hatter HM pins 82310/82311

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help which one is real ? Caterpillar and Mad hatter HM pins 82310/82311

Sewbitchy

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!!

I am new to trading. I got hooked after my trip to WDW last month! I bought a few pins off of ebay and the last one I got was from a china seller. It was the mad hatter hm # 82310. I only bid 2.00 and the pin had free shipping which i was questioning but i was outbid and for a hidden mickey i wasnt going to pay $3 so i let it go. But the seller gave me a second chance offer the next day for 1.50. So I guess buyer beware because i got the pin today and right away it just didn't "feel" real. I also have the caterpillar pin of the same series so i compared them to see if it seemed different. And now I am really confused more! I got the caterpillar in trade at wdw, and that one says 2008 on the back, however pin pics shows it as a 2011 release. So maybe i even have two fakes? I notice the caterpillar also says cast lanyard series while the hatter one does not. The Mad hatter pin says 2011 but its obviously not the same quality. The texture on the reverse is more shiny and a bigger grain of texture. The pin trading logo is two different logos, one is the mickey head, the other the "award seal" I even tried comparing the other seals on my other pins but it seems to vary. Some pins have mickey head and some are the award seal. For 1.50 I wont be too upset but I still will complain to the seller and report him because I'd hate to see someone ever buy a fake anything! I have been an ebay seller of vintage clothing and handbags for 12 yrs and I never sell fakes! Ebay is in such a sad state.....but thats another board lol

heres the photo of the pin backs. Also the hatter one seems to have a slanted or angled edge thats very uneven and jagged. The caterpillar pin on the left and hatter on the right. Thanks for any feedback!!
1013201216819.jpg

The 2008 backstamp is wrong for pins in this series. Also 2011 'hidden mickey' pins would not use the older 'cast lanyard series' designation.

As disxar said, pics of the fronts would help.

Wow confusing. Well here are the fronts. They look good with almost identical colors and have that enamel look and feel so not sure what to think. the ebayer says he got the pin in trading of course. I checked his feedback and all his listings are private so hmmm and he has one person over and over who leave a positive but yet writes item not received. odd. this is all enough to make me not want to trade at all. :(
20121113_212809.jpg

The mad hatter back looks suspecious but the caterpiller one is fine :) It's because of those 2 little pegs on the back..that normally means it's real if you're wondering

The caterpillar one is definitely a scrapper. If the backstamp isn't a clue then the front definitely is. His 3rd arm down on the left is filled in, it should be white when you compare it to the pinpics image. I know I have authentic ones of both of these that I got from mystery packs. I will have to check when I get home, but the mad hatter looks like it could be okay, but then again, I don't know how the thickness of the pin feels.

Assuming the picture from Pinpics is correct (sometimes they use concept art which ends up being slightly different)

Look in the area I circled in red:

mad.jpg

Compare it to your pin.

As you can see under the dark green filled section there should be 2 crease lines. Your pin has only one.

Again, this is assuming Pinpics picture is accurate.

I have authentic versions of these pins. Got it the first or second week they came out (and boy was it hard!) Here are images of mine:

101_2617.jpg

and

101_2616.jpg

(sorry for the flash on the 2nd picture!)

Last edited:
Based upon the back for the caterpillar, that appears to be a fake/scrapper (wrong copyright year and it's no longer cast lanyard series).

Based upon the lack of defined lines and the odd colors, the Mad Hatter also appears to be fake/scrapper. Also the back - the lack of definition on the words authentic official disney parks pin trading is suspect. Although they are tiny, under a magnifying glass or microscope, the words are clear (yours appear to be blurry)

The Hatter pin logos on back are blurry. I have a jewelry loop and i still cant clearly make it out with that! Well in any case i did report the buyer and got my 1.50 back!

The caterpillars hands are all colored in on one side with green. The bow on the Mad Hatter is not filled in on one side. Definitely bad pins.

if it helps at all scrappers normally have a lighter cheaper, thinner feel to them, also the prong on the back fakes have a much sharper point Disney pins, to make them some what safer prongs or pin have slightly rounded off tips so not to pierce through the skin as easily, also rub your hand over the face of the pin the metal outline of the image should be easily felt where fakes are completley smooth, but there are some authentics where it's almost impossible to feel. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back