• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

new pinpics is up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.
new pinpics is up and running
I'm still using old version..as long as I can do it

Yup, I'm doing the same thing.

The Search function is especially confusing. For example, if I wanted to search" Stitch Christmas" and I typed it in on the Search bar it brings me every single pin dealing with Stitch and Christmas, THAT'S WAY TOO MANY PINS! Then when I use the tabs on the left for "Holiday" and "Character" it won't let me search both "Christmas" and "Stitch," only one of them, which gives me either all the Stitch pins or all the Xmas pins...is there anyway to have it be easier?

Yup, I'm doing the same thing.

The Search function is especially confusing. For example, if I wanted to search" Stitch Christmas" and I typed it in on the Search bar it brings me every single pin dealing with Stitch and Christmas, THAT'S WAY TOO MANY PINS! Then when I use the tabs on the left for "Holiday" and "Character" it won't let me search both "Christmas" and "Stitch," only one of them, which gives me either all the Stitch pins or all the Xmas pins...is there anyway to have it be easier?

There's a link on pinpics that shows you how to use the new search. It's been posted in this thread a couple of times. If you wanted to look for Stitch Christmas pins, you'd have to put +Stitch +Christmas for the results to only be stitch Christmas pins. They say it's easier that way, but it seems like a lot more work to me.

There's a link on pinpics that shows you how to use the new search. It's been posted in this thread a couple of times. If you wanted to look for Stitch Christmas pins, you'd have to put +Stitch +Christmas for the results to only be stitch Christmas pins. They say it's easier that way, but it seems like a lot more work to me.

Ah, thanks so much ^_^ I didn't read through this whole thread so I didn't see that. It is more work, but it isn't THAT much more work so if I have to I will.

Looks like they are still working on the member search function, but to bring up the Collection / Wants / Trades for another pinpics member here's one way to do it.

Click on "My Pins" to bring up your pin list
Click on your "Wants" tab
Click on any pin in your Wants List to bring up the detailed page
Scroll down to the "Pin Stats" area (right side of page) and click on the Wants number (this brings up the list of users that want the pin).
Find your username in the list and click on it to bring up the "Search Member Pins" page (bookmark this page).
Enter the user name for the person you want to search and be sure to click one of the radio buttons for "Member Collections", "Member Wants", "Member Trade", or "Trade Matches".
Click on the Magnifying Glass

I don't know why they have to make it so hard :(

Couldn't agree more.

The only thing I like so far, is the bigger pictures, but I was used to thumbnails and if I wanted to see it better, I just clicked on the listing. It just seems like so many steps now for everything.
Maybe it's just me. Disheartened and frustrated.

I really have tried to use the new site, so I'll be prepared when they close the old one, but really, I would pay to keep the old one open and it run just like it has for all these years..lol

The one thing I don't like about the bigger pictures is that I liked putting thumbnails in my auction bid posts. Putting the full sized pictures feels spammy to me.

I used to just go to the very end (last page of however many) to see what was the newest pins added were and just click what I wanted to add to my wants list. How do I do that now?? Or am I just that blind?

I used to do that a lot too! You still can on the new site; you can look at the main gallery, and click "NEW" in the top center.

Looks like they got Search Members working - type the pinpics username in the search box at the top of any page, select Members in the drop down, click on the magnifying glass, then click on the user icon on the results page

Has anyone here *received* a trade request via the new site? I've sent a bunch, and got only one reply (in my pinpics inbox)-- I replied to that person and they still haven't replied to my reply.

I'm just wondering whether my requests are even going through.

Couldn't agree more.

The only thing I like so far, is the bigger pictures, but I was used to thumbnails and if I wanted to see it better, I just clicked on the listing. It just seems like so many steps now for everything.
Maybe it's just me. Disheartened and frustrated.

I really have tried to use the new site, so I'll be prepared when they close the old one, but really, I would pay to keep the old one open and it run just like it has for all these years..lol

LOL, I was just thinking that I would rather pay for the old site too. I always donated for it in the past. I just can't figure out this new site and I doubt I'll be paying for it, if I can't use it :(

Just asked for my account to be deleted, I don't use it to trade anyways. Let's see how accurate their pin accountability they are charging for is now... Lol

I was looking at the old site this morning, and all the pictures (at least on the newer pins) seem to be off-- the wrong photos are with the wrong pins. So I'd be careful when using the old site now...

I tried the plus thing with searching for herbie the love bug and got 500 pages of not herbie LOL UGH, what do I keep doing wrong. LOL

Here is a link to their search tutorial... http://www.pinpics.com/PinUniversitydetail.php?id=504

There is no way I am going to remember to add + - > < () along with my words... It looks like a math problem by the time I'm done and I still don't get the results that I'm looking for. Gads, someone help me!!!

Try searching The Love Bug and see what you get...

This is what I was looking for and used the old site and found it in less than 30 seconds http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=163&sid=2990.1379618239.v2

If it really is this difficult, it's so frustrating, if it's not, I just want to know what I am doing wrong using the new site.

Last edited:
I still can't get the search results I'm looking for either. Even when I add + or * or whatever, it still gives me pins I'm not looking for.

To some extent this will always happen, because the term(s) you are searching for is in the pin's description even though it's not what you are thinking of. I run into this a lot when searching for like "Animal Kingdom" pins, because when pins were added the description included things like "this pin will be sold at Island Mercantile at Animal Kingdom." So you get a lot of not Animal Kingdom pins in the search results, simply because a pin was released there once upon a time.

Try searching The Love Bug and see what you get...

This is what I was looking for and used the old site and found it in less than 30 seconds http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=163&sid=2990.1379618239.v2

In this case, I would search it like I search Google "The Love Bug" in quotes. Try that and see if it works for you. It's supposed to search for that whole string.

Of course, if someone didn't have that complete string in the description, it won't come up. Which is why I was hoping that the new site would allow tagging, but I'm not even sure where people should be putting comments like that. Not a pin review, not a scrapper note.

Last edited:
To some extent this will always happen, because the term(s) you are searching for is in the pin's description even though it's not what you are thinking of. I run into this a lot when searching for like "Animal Kingdom" pins, because when pins were added the description included things like "this pin will be sold at Island Mercantile at Animal Kingdom." So you get a lot of not Animal Kingdom pins in the search results, simply because a pin was released there once upon a time.

Yeah, but what irritates me the most is when pins don't show up because they don't have the phrase in the title. Like when I look up PatF pins. It sucks that typing "The Princess and the Frog" doesn't give me all the PatF pins. I have to type in character names to see all the pins. This is why I really dislike that they took away groups. Before I could just click on the PatF group I made to see which pins I still need, now I have to search 3 or 4 different things just to see all the pins.

In this case, I would search it like I search Google "The Love Bug" in quotes. Try that and see if it works for you. It's supposed to search for that whole string.

Of course, if someone didn't have that complete string in the description, it won't come up. Which is why I was hoping that the new site would allow tagging, but I'm not even sure where people should be putting comments like that. Not a pin review, not a scrapper note.
Create a new pinpics account named "Herbie" and just put in their collection all the "herbie" pins from the old group. Then whenever you want to search Herbie pins, just search "Members" and put "Herbie."

When I get time I will read all the post on this thread so I can use everyones hints.

Not sure if this was mentioned but a couple things I noticed:

There is a tab at the top of Pinpic - "Trade Request" and it has a list of some incoming automated request. The offers were backwards offering me the pin they wanted and asking for the pin I was looking for? Then when I click on the sent it is blank? The last offer I did on the old system a couple of days ago so maybe this is why?

The other is my inbox on PinTalk has only two message left and one was a message I sent out.

Yeah, but what irritates me the most is when pins don't show up because they don't have the phrase in the title. Like when I look up PatF pins. It sucks that typing "The Princess and the Frog" doesn't give me all the PatF pins. I have to type in character names to see all the pins. This is why I really dislike that they took away groups. Before I could just click on the PatF group I made to see which pins I still need, now I have to search 3 or 4 different things just to see all the pins.

I never trusted the groups anyway, because some of them were clearly not being updated and some were, so you could never be sure the information was up to date.

Well, that's the fault of the person who added the pin in the first place, for not putting it in.

That's why I was really hoping that the new site would allow for keyword tagging, because there are so many pins that have details like that, left out. And if the database was reconfigured to have fields for that information, then we'd know that when we select a movie or attraction or character via those drop down lists, everything would show up and if we knew a pin wasn't showing up, then it needed a keyword tag. That would be better than Pin Groups, because the groups still required that the person organizing it kept it up-to-date or didn't miss something. Many of things I was interested in, the pin groups weren't updated or pins would get missed, which is why then I would make my own private ones...

Create a new pinpics account named "Herbie" and just put in their collection all the "herbie" pins from the old group. Then whenever you want to search Herbie pins, just search "Members" and put "Herbie."

Now, that's a nifty, but annoying, little work around. But first, you have to create a dummy email account, so then you can create the Pinpics account...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back