• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin value 'band'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin value 'band'?

Cursor

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few members have said they were unhappy about trading their pin for another because they were of different values - ie cost.

Is there a pricing band for pins? If so what are the pricing bands?
$0-5, $5-10, $10-20, $20-50, $50+

Everyone values their pins differently which is why there is so much difficulity in putting a value on a pin. This has been hashed over so many times and there is no good answer. Personally, I look at my pin, look at their pin and if I want to trade - I do. You can also look at how much did the pin cost, how easily is it traded on PinPics and how much do you want the other pin. There is no solid way to value pins.

I personally think its different on each pin, maybe a more exerienced member can help you with your question

I thought it might save some heartche or anger. No exact values but a guide to avoid trading a low value pin for one of the most expensive ones, or vice versa. Could be any number of bands and values, just a thought. It's up to the traders of course to be determined on an individual basis, need, availability etc.

the problem with values as with anything collectible is price goes up and down,depending on popularity of that item at the time.my husband and i joke that your pins cost flies out the window as soon as you walk out of the store.each trader values their pins differently,its all a matter of how you see things.

I tend to think in categories.

GWP/PWP/Hidden Mickeys/the pins you get for booking travel packages - the lowest category, and if I had to put a price it would be $4 or less.

Open edition/high LE pins - These are the pins that people end up selling in the $5-$10 range. I sort of try to match up original price, and figure that most of these have "depreciated" equally. The wants vs trades tend to be pretty equal, or more traders than people wanting.

Low edition pins - WDI, soda fountain, Disney shopping, etc. I kind of figure these start at original price and some have appreciated a bit, while some have depreciated a bit. Wants vs trades can sort of sort that out, and I pay attention to posts about which ones have ended up in the discount bin or sold cheaply at the semi-annual pin sale

Very HTF/ Extremely Low LE - $$$ You can usually identify these pins because there will be a great disparity between number of people trading vs number of people wanting. I tend to try and use Ebay to sort out values.

The last category are the ones that people tend to be more sensitive to disparities in value. And somewhat the 2nd to last, but then it kind of depends on accessibility. It seems like people with easy access to low LE stuff, seem to be satisfied if the pins in question are more or less the same retail price. People who had to set up a purchase, or got it on their once a year trip are more sensitive.

Last edited:
I tend to think in categories.

GWP/PWP/Hidden Mickeys/the pins you get for booking travel packages - the lowest category, and if I had to put a price it would be $4 or less.

Open edition/high LE pins - These are the pins that people end up selling in the $5-$10 range. I sort of try to match up original price, and figure that most of these have "depreciated" equally. The wants vs trades tend to be pretty equal, or more traders than people wanting.

Low edition pins - WDI, soda fountain, Disney shopping, etc. I kind of figure these start at original price and some have appreciated a bit, while some have depreciated a bit. Wants vs trades can sort of sort that out, and I pay attention to posts about which ones have ended up in the discount bin or sold cheaply at the semi-annual pin sale

Very HTF/ Extremely Low LE - $$$ You can usually identify these pins because there will be a great disparity between number of people trading vs number of people wanting. I tend to try and use Ebay to sort out values.

The last category are the ones that people tend to be more sensitive to disparities in value. And somewhat the 2nd to last, but then it kind of depends on accessibility. It seems like people with easy access to low LE stuff, seem to be satisfied if the pins in question are more or less the same retail price. People who had to set up a purchase, or got it on their once a year trip are more sensitive.

great breakdown, and pretty right on, in my opinion.

That kind of loose grouping or band might help you know, hopemax. If both parties know there is a price difference beforehand and they still agreed to trade, all's well. If they find out afterwards, then there might be problems.

I'm not particularly bothered as I don't have any high cost or rare pins (yet), but maybe later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back