• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics - New Format / Big Site Changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics - New Format / Big Site Changes!
I'll add my experience with Holland, Hayes, aka: Scoop Henderson

I had the honor of meeting him face to face, in a very special occasion, on my first visit to WDW in 2017.

One of the 3 friends I had gone with, had a special SH pin made for him.

We met him at The Earl's at DS. She had 200 pins made for him. I just sat there and watched as he opened the bag of pins.

The look on he's face was priceless. He asked me if I had one, and I said no. So he gave me one then and there.

It was such a unique experience. One I will never ever forget. Shortly thereafter, he had to turn in his CM badge and card. They had retired him.

He was good with that. He's also a actor, and singer. He was involved at a dinner theater showing of the Titanic (I think?) at the time.

Again, a very special experience.

And I have that SH FP on my Keeper Board.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Holland is also an expert on Disney pins. his collection is amazing. He has an instagram acount where he sometimes shows off pins and talking about their history. He also has some amazing live sales. A lot of cast member pins and AP and PP pins. I have learned a lot about some really cool old pins from watching his lives.

Has anyone traded on Disney pin database before and had success
I have made a number of trades on PTDB.

The challenge is many PTDB users don't check their accounts often. Its the same issue pinpics has with non responsive traders, but since pinpics is more established it gets more hits.

Be creative if you have another way to contact the trader... I contact traders via this platform (DPF) and I have direct emails/phone for some I have traded with before. But I have sent and received messages on PTDB and completed trades 100% in their messaging system.

Been waiting for the newest update for PP or some responses to the PP Forum threads or an actual change in the message system like I was told would be in two weeks ago and then that it would be in last week and now nothing . . . I have to say, I'm getting a bit disheartened here. Also, a bit deflated, as I've had five instances in the last couple of weeks where I send a trade request and it is accepted and at the last moment it is discovered that the other trader thought I was offering the pin I was asking for and asking for the pin I was offering because of the confusing message inbox. I'm getting really downhearted here.

So, I sent an email to PP asking about the message system and updates, etc. Well, I heard back from an Admin. I came away from it with the idea that mainly they don't care about and don't want to encourage trading. That they know what's good and users don't. I would take it as a kiss off, basically. It sounded like they are making the site they want to make, and if you don't like it, just go somewhere else.

I was informed that Most users of PinPics are not interested in trading. The entire message gave me the feeling that trading was a minor thing with PinPics and they didn't really care about traders or issues until they were ready to do something on their own time. I felt it was extremely short and that they had a chip on their shoulder for me even asking a question. Basically, it was a kiss off.

If you want to simply catalogue your pin collections . . . then PTDB is the better spot. Better for Cataloguing, useless for trading. PinPics was best because it was the only good trading option. Without that, it becomes another one of many. I did share my feelings in a reply, just so nobody can say I was talking behind anyone's back. I'm disheartened to receive such a rude reply to a message that wasn't attacking, just serious queries.

I'm far from giving up on PinPics, as it is still the only one that really is good for trading. (If they fix it.) So, I haven't jumped the boat . . .just my flag is drooping. A lot to be said for PR. Being an Admin on a large forum myself, I get software and issues and things. When in the middle of working on tech things, it does get annoying to have to deal with people and what they are experiencing. However . . . I also understand that without the people, it doesn't matter what our sites look like,act like or can or can't do or anything else. Without users, sites are pretty useless.

Anyway . . . if I get an update, I'll post about it. But did want to share this.

I used PinPics for Trading for YEARS without a problem, this is in the past now. New messaging system is very confusing and needs a ton of work. I hope they work it out, but TRADING on PinPics is very important, at least to me. What a mess!!

I used PinPics for Trading for YEARS without a problem, this is in the past now. New messaging system is very confusing and needs a ton of work. I hope they work it out, but TRADING on PinPics is very important, at least to me. What a mess!!

You said it! I don't know who they used to test or who they surveyed or who they even talked to about PinPics, but I would so challenge their outlook on this. I bet 97% of the dozens and dozens of active PP users I've worked with for five years would be traders and not just wanting to catalogue.

It is a mess. If they get the new message system that is actually a message system and less of a shopping cart, it would improve a lot if you could communicate with users. Some of the other issues could be worked around if you could actually trade!

I've sent three recent requests where the trade was accepted, so I messaged back to make arrangements, and then silence. It's made me wonder if the messages are even getting through anymore.
The response you got is very discouraging @stratasfan . I have loved PinPics trading, and will be very sad if they do away with it. I've even had some successful trades since the new website came online. It can be done, in spite of the challenges. But the fact that they're not sending out update emails anymore makes me think that they have given up.

I've used pinpics for years with some degree of success. It had offered an easier way to update my pin collection, trades, and wants than ptdb offers (unless I am doing it wrong).

I've sent three recent requests where the trade was accepted, so I messaged back to make arrangements, and then silence. It's made me wonder if the messages are even getting through anymore.
The response you got is very discouraging @stratasfan . I have loved PinPics trading, and will be very sad if they do away with it. I've even had some successful trades since the new website came online. It can be done, in spite of the challenges. But the fact that they're not sending out update emails anymore makes me think that they have given up.

I'm not giving up, just a bit droopy. I've had two trades that worked since the update. a working message system would be yards ahead, even without other fixes.

As to your messages . . . do remember that apostrophes truncate the message right there. So, if you use contractions or anything that uses an apostrophe (single quote mark) . . . type illiterately and leave them off.

Holland is also an expert on Disney pins. his collection is amazing. He has an instagram acount where he sometimes shows off pins and talking about their history. He also has some amazing live sales. A lot of cast member pins and AP and PP pins. I have learned a lot about some really cool old pins from watching his lives.
Scoop was WDW's Disney pin expert and used to give afternoon pin talks in the Magic Kingdom (City Hall) several times a week from ... I would guess shortly after pin trading started, I started trading in 2002/2003 and those talks already were going. I can't remember exactly when Disney stopped them, but IMO, it was the dumbest decision ever. Pin trading was a golden goose, new people were starting constantly, and these pin talks provided clear, concise '101 seminars' that introduced these shiny addictive pieces of metal and how to collect and trade them better than any other way Disney devised. At any given talk, Scoop might discuss how pins are made, pin trading etiquette, differences in trading with cast members and other guests, upcoming pin releases, different types of pins, and anything pin related one might imagine. He also would answer questions and stay behind for a few minutes afterwards so guests could chat or ask additional questions; Scoop saw it as his job to educate guests about pins and pin trading and took it very seriously.

I consider myself very fortunate to have been educated in pins and pin trading by Scoop; at one point, that meant quite a bit in the pin community. Now? I'm not sure many people here have any idea what that means.

OK . . .got a quick response from Molly about the update Zoom meeting tonight. They are showing a demo of the new message system. The video will be hosted on YouTube afterwards, too! Apparently you can participate via the meeting chat if you don't have a video cam (that's what I might try and do tonight). Looking forward to seeing what it will be like, and Molly told me she is confident it should solve a ton of the message issues (and we had some trading "messages" through this new system and she had all the same issues in our messaging that I've had with everyone else . . . so hopefully it is good!).

OK . . . got a nice reply from Molly, after I shared some of my feelings after the correspondence on Tuesday. I'm feeling better about this. Seems the Admin I received a reply from isn't exactly the one for PR and isn't exactly the one who has the full vision for PP.

It [PinPics] is totally for trading and whatever else people want to use it for......Trading, researching pins, soon selling and buying. SO much!
Yes we will addressing this tonight.

Everyone that uses PinPics has a voice. Thank you for letting me know this......
I am supposed to have some moderators in the Forum.....I get spread way thin. After tonight's meeting I will send out an email update as well.

I'm feeling perkier about it right now! :)

Hmm, this seems indicitive of the problem of trying to operate a website for which one does not belong to the target audiance.

Tech Admins are most often just that . . . Tech Admins. You can't really be deep into "tech" and deep into the thing the website is serving. That's why a "Tech" Admin and an "Admin" are most often and should really be different. Just that a Tech Admin shouldn't be handling the public when they are simply tech oriented.

It was super interesting and I'm glad I did it! ended up going a bit over an hour and a half. I think I'm going to do them every Thursday for a bit here. Got to view a demonstration of the new message system . . . actually sending a trade request and seeing how the message work and looks like. It is more like the Etsy messaging. An inbox, but the message is going to look like a Skype chat in the message area. You'll be able to see the trade offer and any and all response, in a line, like a chat. Also, you can directly upload and include images in the message chat. Was also told that you will be able to message a member without having to go through a pin (something you can't do at the moment). They are working to put a date on each message in the Inbox now. Molly was really 99% sure it will be live before she heads to a Pin Event next Friday. Here's hoping!

They also addressed some other things. The Compare feature is in the works! Yay! Also, a lot of other things being worked on and on the list, as well. I won't type them all out, as it is late and I'm getting ready to hit the hay, but if you have a particular question, feel free to shoot it at me, and I'll let you know if it was covered.

Filtering LEs in general and not having to choose a particular number edition is also coming.

Hooking pin sets together is now a thing and as people send in comments with pin numbers for pins in previously-input sets, they will also be joined together for easy searching!

The "Comment" tab on a pin (next to the pin description on a pin page) . . . If you are on a pin page and there is something that need correcting or information that needs to be added to any field or description or for searching, etc. . . . send a comment. Those comments aren't posted publically, they are comments sent to the Admins who then add the info into the proper fields. Molly checks these in the morning, afternoon and evening, and they do add the info! So, if something needs more info or fixing or anything . . . use the "Comment" section on the pin page!

OK . . . I did the meeting last night, and just haven't had time to post it (Sis and I are finally getting to watch Mando Season 3 with friends via Skype and I barely had enough time to finish the meeting before we were going to start watching last night!) here.

Some really good news as far as fixes and features.

- The LE filtering and searching is well underway!

- The Compare feature is being worked on and will be returning.

- Right now, sending a trade request through a pin that your are trading is like the old PP way, showing you all pins matching form a user and you can select as many of the matches as you want in a single trade request. Going through a pin that you are wanting, you see each matching pin individually, regardless of user who has it, and have to start a trade request for each pin one at a time. They are oging to see about changing that, so that trading or wanting a pin, you can see each user and the pins that they have that match and send a single request per user with however many pins selected as you would like to choose.

- In a short time, any account not signed in to for 180 days or more will be removed from the Trade Assist and those wants/trades will be removed form the numbers on the pin pages, thus deflating the artificially inflated trade/want ratios on pins across the PP website. GREAT! :) The old accounts will not be deleted, and if an account owner comes back, they can reinstate their account easily, but it won't show to all the current users.

- In each person's profile, right under the boxes that show trades/wants/owns, there will be a space that shows your "About Me" and a way to show location . . . much needed so that you know what Country the trader is in. This is a piece that I am really missing form the old site layout!

- The PP Forum will be getting an overhaul, enabling images to be posted and more formatting, as well as a few more and better sorted boards.

If anyone sees a duplicate pin listing or wants to add or correct info on any pin listing - Use the "COMMENT" tab in the pin page. Those comments are read daily by the Admins and any info is added to the pin page for search purposes and/or corrected. So, if you need to add or change anything in a pin listing, just use the comment tab! they are monitored and worked on!

OK . . . I did the meeting last night, and just haven't had time to post it (Sis and I are finally getting to watch Mando Season 3 with friends via Skype and I barely had enough time to finish the meeting before we were going to start watching last night!) here.

Some really good news as far as fixes and features.

- The LE filtering and searching is well underway!

- The Compare feature is being worked on and will be returning.

- Right now, sending a trade request through a pin that your are trading is like the old PP way, showing you all pins matching form a user and you can select as many of the matches as you want in a single trade request. Going through a pin that you are wanting, you see each matching pin individually, regardless of user who has it, and have to start a trade request for each pin one at a time. They are oging to see about changing that, so that trading or wanting a pin, you can see each user and the pins that they have that match and send a single request per user with however many pins selected as you would like to choose.

- In a short time, any account not signed in to for 180 days or more will be removed from the Trade Assist and those wants/trades will be removed form the numbers on the pin pages, thus deflating the artificially inflated trade/want ratios on pins across the PP website. GREAT! :) The old accounts will not be deleted, and if an account owner comes back, they can reinstate their account easily, but it won't show to all the current users.

- In each person's profile, right under the boxes that show trades/wants/owns, there will be a space that shows your "About Me" and a way to show location . . . much needed so that you know what Country the trader is in. This is a piece that I am really missing form the old site layout!

- The PP Forum will be getting an overhaul, enabling images to be posted and more formatting, as well as a few more and better sorted boards.

If anyone sees a duplicate pin listing or wants to add or correct info on any pin listing - Use the "COMMENT" tab in the pin page. Those comments are read daily by the Admins and any info is added to the pin page for search purposes and/or corrected. So, if you need to add or change anything in a pin listing, just use the comment tab! they are monitored and worked on!
Excellent news! Thank you for attending the meeting and reporting on it. I will say that I have used the new chat system for pin requests and it is far superior to what we have been dealing with. No replies, yet, to my trade requests, but I am hopeful!

How does the chat work?

When you send a trade request, it send them a chat message, which you can then access through your profile "Dashboard - My PinPics Chats" link. Clicking that brings you to an inbox, and then you click the little file drawers icon (first icon following the chat title) and that opens up the Chat inbox and you'll see the entire message with any replies (It looks like a Live Chat box when you try and contact an online store or something like that). It is nicer than the old PP message system in the fact that all messages/replies in the string are displayed and you can also directly upload images into the message chat to share with the other user.

If you would like a bit more of a visual walkthrough, Gwen . . . send me a real email and I can do screengrabs to show you step-by-step. :) I can also send you a PinPics chat and you can try it. Let me know if either would be helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back