• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PODMs...How Do You Escape?! Someone Stop Me Before Its Too Late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PODMs...How Do You Escape?! Someone Stop Me Before Its Too Late!

ElysionsPrincess

Love Thaws a Frozen Heart!
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Oh my goodness.
So for those of you who don't know me, hello! My name is Alexandra but you can call me Alex. I've been lurking here for a while now, but haven't seriously been in to pin trading as much as I now am. I am just so interested in it, it's driving my mother insane! I won't stop chattering about it to everyone I know!

Anyways, when I first started lurking, I saw PODM pins for the first time. They are something I had never been exposed to in the parks, seeing as I went on vacation only once this past year, and they definitely aren't something you see on many lanyards! At first, I didn't understand what all of the hype was over them. I thought they were interesting, but I couldn't see myself buying one.

But now...the more I look, the more I crave!! They are each so unique and interesting, and the scene-chasing is so exciting and suspenseful! At first I found myself scoffing at $40 price tags, but now I'm having to sit on my wallet to prevent myself from lunging after a $200 scene!

My question(s) to you all is;

How/When did you decide that you needed PODMs in your life? Do you wish you hadn't ever seen them, because they take so much time, effort, and money? Or do you love them to pieces (ha...no pun intended!). Are they worth the work to have in your collection?

I would really appreciate some input before I start delving into this seemingly dangerous world...!! :anxious: Not to mention, I think it is an interesting topic seeing as Pluto's Christmas is coming out next month, and is the last of them for the time being!

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry! I will move it if it needs to be! Thank you for reading and for your patience!

As soon as I figured out what they were, I needed them. But they kill my wallet. At this point, with the prices, I wait for one I really want. And if I found good ones for cheap, I pick them up.

And I can't wait for Pluto, he makes up the bulk of my collection.

Oh my goodness.
So for those of you who don't know me, hello! My name is Alexandra but you can call me Alex. I've been lurking here for a while now, but haven't seriously been in to pin trading as much as I now am. I am just so interested in it, it's driving my mother insane! I won't stop chattering about it to everyone I know!

Anyways, when I first started lurking, I saw PODM pins for the first time. They are something I had never been exposed to in the parks, seeing as I went on vacation only once this past year, and they definitely aren't something you see on many lanyards! At first, I didn't understand what all of the hype was over them. I thought they were interesting, but I couldn't see myself buying one.

But now...the more I look, the more I crave!! They are each so unique and interesting, and the scene-chasing is so exciting and suspenseful! At first I found myself scoffing at $40 price tags, but now I'm having to sit on my wallet to prevent myself from lunging after a $200 scene!

My question(s) to you all is;

How/When did you decide that you needed PODMs in your life? Do you wish you hadn't ever seen them, because they take so much time, effort, and money? Or do you love them to pieces (ha...no pun intended!). Are they worth the work to have in your collection?

I would really appreciate some input before I start delving into this seemingly dangerous world...!! :anxious: Not to mention, I think it is an interesting topic seeing as Pluto's Christmas is coming out next month, and is the last of them for the time being!

If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry! I will move it if it needs to be! Thank you for reading and for your patience!

PODMs are no where near as wallet draining as Tangled, Up or DSF marquee pins. Its only a hazard to your money if you want the "money" scenes. If you just want the PODM with no preference on the scene it isn't as bad.

PODMs are no where near as wallet draining as Tangled, Up or DSF marquee pins. Its only a hazard to your money if you want the "money" scenes. If you just want the PODM with no preference on the scene it isn't as bad.

That's a good point!! Unfortunately for me, the Mulan scene I want is of her and her father in the cherry blossoms. That scene is very near and dear to my heart, because I lost my father at a young age. The line, "The greatest gift and honor, is having you for a daughter" brings tears to my eyes every time! It's too bad that it is so desired, because it makes it unattainable for me! I will have to settle for a "Reflection" scene I think if I ever hope to have a Mulan PODM. :)

It is so interesting to see what scenes are people's individual "grails," and then the ones that are considered the "most desired" by the majority. I think its so cool that each scene means something different to each pin collector. I think that might be what makes these pins so addicting/desired!

The first PODM pin I ever got was Tangled. I found a presale on eBay right before the release for $30 and could not resist. I ended up getting a gondola scene of Rapunzel showing the satchel to Flynn which is really one of my favorite parts in the movie so I was very happy <3 I was going to try to collect the Mickey cartoons as well, but I realized being that my collection stays in my pin books, I didn't want to get too many. So instead I decided to get Tangled and Beauty and the Beast, which a friend generously helped me out with :)hsd:)

So my advice would be to pick the few movies near and dear to your heart and make those your pin quest. However this is coming from someone who is not a completist by any means (Story sees pin. Story says "ooh pretty!" Story tries to find. :D). I also was not trying to get any particular scenes (though your reasoning behind getting the one with her father is such a wonderful one!!) But I would just remember as with any other pin hunting to have fun with it!

If it starts to become one of your top five stresses of the day then: (1) pause for a moment (2) revaluate your pin game plan, and (3) find a way to make it fun again.

... Then be prepared to repeat that cycle over and over again :rofl:

Hope this helps a bit and all the best in your collecting quest! =)

I escaped because my wallet said no, zipped shut and refused to open.

However eventually I want JUST:
Tangled: Maximus frame.
Cinderella: horse frame.
Mulan: Khan frame.

no others

Due to my parents being WDW locals, I have a bunch of PODMs. I didn't go after all of them, just my favorite movies. And while there are certain scenes I wish I could have (Beast with the birds, and Rafiki on Pride Rock are my two "grail" PODM scenes), in many ways they aren't my favorite pins. They don't display well. I don't want to put them in a book or bag because I don't want to damage them. And they're hard to frame and still see the scene. So mostly they just sit on a bookshelf or wrapped in bubble wrap. Honestly the scenes look much better on the computer screen than they do in real life, IMO. The fun for me is definitely the day of release. Either the few times I was there in person, or getting the phone call from my Mom telling me what my choices were. Now that those are coming to an end (and the fun was already waning due to the chaos) I don't know if I'll have the same affection for them as some of my other pins. If I was looking to spend $100 on a pin, I think I'd look more toward some of the Disney Auction pins or even some of the park Jumbo pins.

I want the Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, and Aladdin pins because Jasmine, Belle, and Ariel are my favorite princesses. However, I needed money so I sold my LM PODM. I will probably pick up an Aladdin and Little Mermaid PODM in the future since the prices aren't that ridiculous but unless the price of the BatB pins go down, I'll live without that one in my collection.

I am trying to complete my PODM collection. As long as its a descent frame I'm happy. All i need is Dumbo, Cinderella, Snow White and Bambi. The most difficult to get because of the prices. As of right now i have about 24 PODM's all of 2012 and part of 2011. If i had the chance to get all of them i would have camped out every single month beginning in January 2011.

Oh, I almost forgot... it wasn't just my wallet saying NO to PODM.

While they are beautiful pins, they didnt match any of the things i collect. Since I don't collect every movie, I didn't need them. Because I don't collect princesses, i didn't need them. You can be selective and only get the PODM's that match your specific collections. Rather than attempting to collect all 24 of them.

I used to work in the film industry directly with the prints and reels etc.... and for me they kind of hold a nostalgic sort of vibe. For me it's a good way to combine some of my passions, one for film and the other for pin collecting and the disney esthetic. I'm not too bothered about the scenes etc... as I have some of the film prints in storage or at least trailers etc. That being said there are some scenes I do like more than others especially if they hold a personal meaning to me. (example : Madam mim in dragon form on the Sword and the stone podm ) However when it comes to Podms it's more about the memories they evoke. Looking at lion king film cells reminds me of being in the movie theatre with my grandparents when my parents had left me in their care. Sometimes holding the film cells evokes this more firmly for me than actually watching the movie itself. Disney isn't the only company I have things like this from. I have some universal and paramont stuff kicking around somewhere and the Lotr film cells are in a light box above the tv. I probably won't bother to collect them all as I have never been about having everything. It's more about what has meaning to me when it comes too pins. I don't regret getting the ones that have personal meaning to me, but I doubt I would ever pay 200 for one.

I didnt know about the PODM's until this forum either and I was INSTANTLY hooked. I collect Tink for my 16 month old and my 9 year old goes as crazy for pins as I do. I knew I HAD to collect one of EACH PODM for all 3 of us. I know. I am CRAZY. I even sold a bunch of stuff on ebay to have some money to buy the ones already released. I have all but 4 for my personal collection and I need about 10 for my son and the same for my daughter. I am more worried about finishing my collection first and then finishing theirs. But as another poster said...I am not picky about frames...one of my Sword in the Stone pins is a dead tree, lying in its side. That's it. a Tree....kinda hilarious. So I haven't spent NEARLY as much as some do for their pins. Also, having gone through the release of BATB myself...Holy Geeze. I appreciate these pins so much more now...and I am bummed at the lack of involvment in which you get to participate in purchasing the frames you want :(

So far I only have the Alice & Lonesome Ghosts PODM's only because I like the films. I know the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion film wasn't a huge success, but if they made a HM PODM pin, I'd have to get it!

That's a good point!! Unfortunately for me, the Mulan scene I want is of her and her father in the cherry blossoms. That scene is very near and dear to my heart, because I lost my father at a young age. The line, "The greatest gift and honor, is having you for a daughter" brings tears to my eyes every time! It's too bad that it is so desired, because it makes it unattainable for me! I will have to settle for a "Reflection" scene I think if I ever hope to have a Mulan PODM. :)

My sister likes that line too. But, the Mulan tree scene (NOT a cherry blossom) that is in the Mulan PODM is not the scene where the line/quote happens. They didn't make one for that scene (which is when Mulan returns from the capital with Shan Yu's sword and Emperor's crest).

My sister likes that line too. But, the Mulan tree scene (NOT a cherry blossom) that is in the Mulan PODM is not the scene where the line/quote happens. They didn't make one for that scene (which is when Mulan returns from the capital with Shan Yu's sword and Emperor's crest).

Yes I know :( But it's the closest we can get! Haha. That is something that always bothers me; the misconception of that scene.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I lurked around the forum and then when I discovered PODM I was basically hooked! I can't even remember which PODM I saw that got me hooked. All I remember was seeing them, then I decided to look up every PODM that was released, what the scenes are, and which were my favorite/grail scene. UNFORTUNATELY, I am a bit of a completest. That is one of the main reasons that I was trying VERY hard not to get hooked. Worked for like a week or two. Then I gave in =.= I think it was because at that point, Little Mermaid was coming out so I was like.. well.. $30 isn't too bad and yeaaa now I'm in trouble.

Another thing is I'm really REALLY picky
34-1.gif
! I will not settle for anything less than my grail scene so that doesn't help with my wallet
40-1.gif
How I compensated was by selling what little pins I had before and trying to win pin auctions for certain PODMs that's hosted here. I also got lucky with getting a really rare pin which someone traded me for a Snow White, Cinderella, and Bambi PODM which super skyrocked my small PODM collection at the time. Needless to say, I was quite speechless, moved, and just oozing with happiness when the trade finalized
50.gif
My boyfriend also knows how much I love PODMs and most of all, Dumbo, so he bought me my grail Dumbo PODM which was quite expensive but apparently it's my early birthday present so I was
14-2.gif

I know that collecting PODMs is much more difficult than when these pins first started. But don't let that deter you from your love and passion for PODMs. You just gotta think:

1. Do I want to collect every PODM? and even if you do
  2. Which PODMs do I want to collect first?
  3. Which scenes do I want for the PODMs I want to collect? Put tabs on a number of scenes. For example: A is my grail scene. B is my 2nd grail. C is a good and affordable scene. D is what I'm happy with for now for that price.
  4. Just because it's not your grail scene doesn't mean it's still not fun to trade them! Not only do you like PODMs but many people do too! So these make very good traders! Best of all, you might able to trade one/them for a grail PODM scene!
  5. Set price ranges for the PODMs you want to collect if you're thinking of purchasing them. That way, you don't break your wallet or bank.
  6. Only really splurge and go out of your price range if it's the scene! The one you'll never trade away and you can look at all day, everyday and will still put a smile on your face. Because it's hard to get the same scene twice!

Hope this helps :)

Now a couple of questions for you.
  1. What's your favorite PODM?
  2. What's your top 3 grail scenes?
  3. What series are you thinking of collecting? Just 1? Some? All?

There are a few that I'd like to pursue, but I know that it wouldn't be enough. It's pretty easy to avoid them if I don't actively seek them out, so the temptation remains mild. I'm sure that if I bought just one it'd be all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back