• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PTDs ARE BACK! GSF/DSS Pin Trader Sundae thread. Blue Fairy/DoDo/Anastasia/Archimedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
PTDs ARE BACK! GSF/DSS Pin Trader Sundae thread. Blue Fairy/DoDo/Anastasia/Archimedes
PTS flipped : Roz from Monsters INC

Photo credit Matt Jackson
10339766_10152784453424338_6400378813655895339_n.jpg

I have to imagine at some point, they are going to run out of PTD's altogether.

Apparently, this has happened the last three years; the traffic and tourist groups get larger and larger and start flipping the ptd like crazy (as we're seeing now), so the store runs out of available PTDs and have to wait for production and re-shipment to get a new batch. That silent period has lasted anywhere from 2 to 3 months (the entire summer)! Let's see what happens this year.

I have to imagine at some point, they are going to run out of PTD's altogether.

It wouldn't be the first time.

I think after the ELSA PTD thing people all think they have some insider information that "a good pin is coming out" so they end up doing this stuff and just milking the ptds like crazy.

Apparently, this has happened the last three years; the traffic and tourist groups get larger and larger and start flipping the ptd like crazy (as we're seeing now), so the store runs out of available PTDs and have to wait for production and re-shipment to get a new batch. That silent period has lasted anywhere from 2 to 3 months (the entire summer)! Let's see what happens this year.

It's not tourists though, it's literally about 150+ (at least, probably closer to 250) people that are just living at the store all day. (Well, that's largely what happened yesterday.) They would literally go into the store, by the PTD, walk out of the store and get in line and just wait for the next one to come out. Then the line of over 100 people go through it again accumulating all the friends (some new friends off the street) they can as the line goes in. I think they are lined up right now waiting for the 'After Roz' pin. They'll just spend the day there.

I guess the store doesn't mind too much, they grossed over $13,000 yesterday just on PTDs alone...

The ONLY way this madness is going to STOP the re-sellers from literally living at, or near the store, along with all their new friends that they either paid, or sucked into standing in line for them is for ALL of us to stand united & NOT BUY these pins at the ridiculous prices, if there is no market for a huge profit, only then will they quit hogging them, and this hobby can go back to the way it used to be, in the hands of collectors & a few tourists.
But of course, that can't happen as long as we are stupid enough to line their pockets.

It'll probably take an exciting pin to start it all up again... If a 'cool' LE300 comes out, 300+ mob the store, and they figure 'why not just hang around for the next one'.

I guess Roz isn't a big deal.... :) But if the next one is high-demand, it'll start all over again...

I'm surprised they are still going through DSF branded pins... They must have a fairly large stock of them since (I believe) any pins designed after the change to GSF would start showing up in the store around Feb/March at the latest...

The ONLY way this madness is going to STOP the re-sellers from literally living at, or near the store, along with all their new friends that they either paid, or sucked into standing in line for them is for ALL of us to stand united & NOT BUY these pins at the ridiculous prices, if there is no market for a huge profit, only then will they quit hogging them, and this hobby can go back to the way it used to be, in the hands of collectors & a few tourists.
But of course, that can't happen as long as we are stupid enough to line their pockets.

Things won't go back to the way they used to be. They never do.

Also, all it takes is one person willing to pay their price in order to encourage them, so really trying to organize a boycott of any kind is useless. The best you can do is resolve not to buy them yourself. That can be tough, I know. Pin collecting can still be enjoyable despite these people! In fact, it's really up to all of us to cling to what we love about pins and trading. A hobby that makes you frustrated and sad isn't worth anyone's time.

Of course, I say this as someone who doesn't have a single PTD in his collection. :|

So are we all ready for all the pins to be LE1000? That would let them last longer, there would be more out there for us to get (lower resell prices?), and less incentive for people to live at DSF waiting for the flip. The higher LE wouldn't bother me at all since I collect them for the characters and not the resell prices.

The only stumbling block is to convince DSF that at LE1000 they will all still sell out. They're on the right track with some LE500; maybe start will all of them being LE500 and move up??

I only have one Ptd in my collection and only because I would like to call myself a Peg from lady and the tramp completist.. but that is it. Other than that ptds are nice traders for me if I ever get any.

Honestly, I would love a higher edition size. I don't care if 999 other people own the same pin as me. I collect pins because I love them not because of the edition size.

Honestly, I would love a higher edition size. I don't care if 999 other people own the same pin as me. I collect pins because I love them not because of the edition size.

I second this. A bigger edition size would give more to the collectors and make it less worth it for the sharks to come out and hog every pin.

Honestly, I would love Scrump and Angel for my collection and I feel like a year ago I could've done it easily for $30 a piece (maybe $35 for Angel) so I won't be forking over $50 a piece for them because in my mind, they are just not worth it.

DSF just will not bend. All they have are dollar signs in their eye$. They love the hype and the lines. They could care less how infuriating it is for people that have real jobs. They just want money money money. Greedy selfish heartless ba$tard$. I still think, LE1000 and back to 2 per person will be equally beneficial. It makes them easier to get and people will still buy them. People aren't going to just stop, even if the pin is only worth $20-$25 versus the $30+ minimum they all want now they will still buy them. LE1000 and 2 per person allows people to get traders and if you miss one, it's not the end of the world and you can trade for it later. And if it's a junky character the families won't bring all their kids and buy the max, they may only get a few. DSF will still move the pins, no question. But why sell out of 3 LE300's 1 at a time to 300 people who camp all day when you could sell 1 LE1000 to 500 people @ 2 per person and do fewer transactions for the same amount of money? The pins costs you half the price too because you buy larger quantity.

I also think they should go back to the rule of no PTD's sold within an hour of closing. That changes somehow, but on worknights, again for those of us that have a job, 11pm or 12am is too late to hang with the jobless flippers when I have to drive home an hour after closing.

I'll continue to stand by an idea I proposed to stop this madness long ago.

Go back to requiring - ordering and EATING the Sundae. The pin comes at the end with the check, not as something you can just "buy". If nothing else, it will slow down the constant line churn and allow others to have an opportunity to purchase the pin.

Another tactic would be to have it become a random pin - still the same LE. That way instead of getting a run on one particular "hot" pin, you will still get a store themed LE pin and blind chance (and later trading) can let you obtain a "hot / popular / can't live without" pin.

Even if DSF is making tons of money, I wonder if they will get to the point where if this group of PTD flippers gets out of control, they will take away PTD's altogether or put more restrictive limits on them. It gets to a point where it's not worth the money sometimes. Like Disney Store could've easily left it's Frozen merchandise the way it was but instead, they've put limits on most items and you can't even walk into a store and buy anything on any day but Saturdays. They make money whether people are buying it for their collection or to sell on Ebay but they are making more of their customers happy by limiting it.

I'll continue to stand by an idea I proposed to stop this madness long ago.

Go back to requiring - ordering and EATING the Sundae. The pin comes at the end with the check, not as something you can just "buy". If nothing else, it will slow down the constant line churn and allow others to have an opportunity to purchase the pin.

And if you're diabetic, or lactose intolerant, or have an artificial sweetener allergy, and can't eat the sundae? Sorry, no pin for you?

Another tactic would be to have it become a random pin - still the same LE. That way instead of getting a run on one particular "hot" pin, you will still get a store themed LE pin and blind chance (and later trading) can let you obtain a "hot / popular / can't live without" pin.

Giving out random pins is just going to make the lines worse. As it is now, people get the pins they want and leave. Those same people will be the first to get back in line if the random pin they get isn't the one they're looking for, perhaps doing the loop all day instead of just a few times. It amounts to taking more PTDs out of general circulation and putting more in the hands of the line-campers.

Hopefully the talk of bringing PTS to Florida will go through and then the LE number will increase on the pins since it's plain foolish to split 300 pins between 2 locations

Hopefully the talk of bringing PTS to Florida will go through and then the LE number will increase on the pins since it's plain foolish to split 300 pins between 2 locations

Or they could keep it 300 and have different ones at both places since they would run out t different times. Then it'd level the playing field a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back