• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Putting on my flame-proof suit......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting on my flame-proof suit......
Well, I stated that it was MY OPINION, so no one has to agree with me. However, it appears that the vacation I just returned from (a disney cruise with 3 days in the parks) would have been a lot cheaper if I would have charged people a fee for picking up pins and/or vinyls or other merchandise while I was there. My husband would have been thrilled if I could have made a profit and recovered some of our vacation expenses! But, let's just not tell him because I just wouldn't feel right doing that!

My mother always told me that what goes around comes around - good and bad! I believe it does - and will. AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!

I have very limited experience with any of this, but here is my recent experience in attaining a pin that I had no access to:

I had posted that I couldn't get a D23 pin because I'm not a member and almost immediately, two total strangers on the boards here (niknaxx and huertajv) offered to get it for me even though I didn't have any feedback verification or references. Since Nikki offered first, I accepted the offer and she went out of her way to get me this pin at cost with no qualms. On my end, I made sure to pay her appropriately asap to show that I was honest. Now if I'm in any position to help Nikki or Vicki get a pin they need, I will be MORE than happy to get that for them and I wouldn't dream of upping the price. There are good people on this board who we can trust and the goodwill works both ways.

So my point is: Try to find good people here who you can rely on and help each other, because the good people are here.

I feel bad for people who want particular new pins for their collection and have to pay outrageous prices to get them.

I have very limited experience with any of this, but here is my recent experience in attaining a pin that I had no access to:

I had posted that I couldn't get a D23 pin because I'm not a member and almost immediately, two total strangers on the boards here (niknaxx and huertajv) offered to get it for me even though I didn't have any feedback verification or references. Since Nikki offered first, I accepted the offer and she went out of her way to get me this pin at cost with no qualms. On my end, I made sure to pay her appropriately asap to show that I was honest. Now if I'm in any position to help Nikki or Vicki get a pin they need, I will be MORE than happy to get that for them and I wouldn't dream of upping the price. There are good people on this board who we can trust and the goodwill works both ways.

So my point is: Try to find good people here who you can rely on and help each other, because the good people are here.

I feel bad for people who want particular new pins for their collection and have to pay outrageous prices to get them.

but the Alice event was a lottery. If I would have went, I would have treated it as a lottery... and sold the pins I don't need to those that do (after all, I would have waited in line and spent my entire day getting them) and most likely use that money to buy the pins I want.

People do it all the time, but when you seem to slap the name Alice on the pins all of a sudden it's an outrage.

but the Alice event was a lottery. If I would have went, I would have treated it as a lottery... and sold the pins I don't need to those that do (after all, I would have waited in line and spent my entire day getting them) and most likely use that money to buy the pins I want.

People do it all the time, but when you seem to slap the name Alice on the pins all of a sudden it's an outrage.

Are you saying that it would have taken LESS time if you only bought pins for yourself? Or that you weren't going for yourself?

Are you saying that it would have taken LESS time if you only bought pins for yourself? Or that you weren't going for yourself?

No, I'm saying I went there and got the pins after 'winning' the lottery system (don't know how else to put it). Like, I'm not just getting lucky... I'm going there and getting my fair share and then I'm going to get what I want with what I got whether that be selling the pins for money for the pins I need or trading.

It's confusing lol

I for one am helping out a few people who pm'd me after posting what group I was in. I'm selling my extra pins to them at my cost alone, that's about it. I was going to the pin release anyway and it makes me glad to help somebody out, especially in these times.

I'm one of those people who registered and first post was to sell. I have been in the pin family for many years and some people who were at Dizpins know me and know my name. I've been lurking here and other pin forums since dizpins shut down. I haven't been heavily into pins for some time and have backed out of the pin world a lot because of all greed that seems to come around to big releases like this and the scrapper problem. Just because someones first post is to sell shouldn't give them a bad name. I am currently only selling the figure and I've marked it up just a little to cover the paypal fees. I would be just as happy to return it to Disneyland but I didn't think about it until after I'd opened my $1 PWP pins so now returning won't be as easy. Yes I could put it on ebay and sell it there to whoever but I saw in the threads how badly some people were wanting stuff so I decided to offer it here first.

I got everything I could get with my wristband because I had told a friend I'd get everything incase her friend couldn't make it and get her stuff because she wasn't selected. I would have been just as happy buying only the mystery boxes so I could get Dormouse and leave the rest of the merchandise for the people in the second chance line. Now I have a lot of extras and the decision to sell or trade but I know that I wanted to sell the figure because trading with that would be too difficult.

Most, if I had to guess, pin traders don't even know about/have an account on dpf. Establishing they're untrustworthy based on their first post is a little over the top.

Well, I stated that it was MY OPINION, so no one has to agree with me. However, it appears that the vacation I just returned from (a disney cruise with 3 days in the parks) would have been a lot cheaper if I would have charged people a fee for picking up pins and/or vinyls or other merchandise while I was there. My husband would have been thrilled if I could have made a profit and recovered some of our vacation expenses! But, let's just not tell him because I just wouldn't feel right doing that!

My mother always told me that what goes around comes around - good and bad! I believe it does - and will. AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!

I agree 110% with your opinion. I feel that way too and I don't expect anything in return for doing something for someone else. And it always returns to me a million times over.

There are entire businesses built on charging people a fee for picking things up for them. If a pizza place charges extra for delivery, is that wrong? Ever heard of Pea Pod? That's the whole point. They are providing a service for someone that can't do it themselves.

Not everyone has contacts or friends that can go pick pins up for them purely out of the kindness of their heart. And if I lived near a park and constantly had people asking for favors....that would get old real quick. If people didn't buy pins to sell then it would be even harder for people like me to get them. They would just sit at DLR until they sold out and considering that I don't plan on going there anytime soon, it wouldn't be me buying them.

I think you need to clarify why you are so upset. You are comming off as though you are against mark-ups period and if that is what you are saying, perhaps try to envision a scenario where there were no sellers. You might be ok if you know people that can always help you, but if you don't....then you'd really be out of luck. Now, if you are just upset with the price gouging, I can understand that. Clarification would be helpful....

I don't like to see people charging unreasonable prices but, if people just don't pay the price the seller's would be have to lower the price.

All the hype over the Alice pins gives sellers the idea that they can get more profit. Part of the blame of high prices being asked goes to all the people who made such a big fuss over wanting the pins. Another part of the blame goes to the the greedy people who like to take advantage of all the people who really must have the pins.

If there is no market for pins, there would be no sellers of pins. Both are dependant on each other.

I think it's a make the big bucks while the bucks are there kind of thing. I'm going to take a chance and play the wait and see game. I can almost bet that the prices will come down. It's been that way for every big event.

Margaret makes a good point. The initial frenzy often dies down, and prices drop, too. It's hard to be patient and wait for a reasonable price or trade (I've blown that, many times), but patience usually pays off.

There are entire businesses built on charging people a fee for picking things up for them. If a pizza place charges extra for delivery, is that wrong? Ever heard of Pea Pod? That's the whole point. They are providing a service for someone that can't do it themselves.

Not everyone has contacts or friends that can go pick pins up for them purely out of the kindness of their heart. And if I lived near a park and constantly had people asking for favors....that would get old real quick. If people didn't buy pins to sell then it would be even harder for people like me to get them. They would just sit at DLR until they sold out and considering that I don't plan on going there anytime soon, it wouldn't be me buying them.

I think you need to clarify why you are so upset. You are comming off as though you are against mark-ups period and if that is what you are saying, perhaps try to envision a scenario where there were no sellers. You might be ok if you know people that can always help you, but if you don't....then you'd really be out of luck. Now, if you are just upset with the price gouging, I can understand that. Clarification would be helpful....

I think disappointed is a better description than upset. Simply because I am not seeking the pins, but if I lived near DLR and could have gotten into the lottery, I would have went to help my pin friends who do want them. That is just who I am. I get just as excited when I can help someone as if I am buying for myself! Now, I won't go thru the trouble to get you pins if I KNOW that you are going to re-sell them. I just don't. That is my policy. I have "hired" shoppers - bought them a pin or gave them a fee for picking stuff up for me. I have also been the recipient of people picking up stuff for me at cost plus shipping because they were already going to be there. I have done the same for others.

Here is an example of what I DON'T like - selling pins for double the cost because you (a general term) spent all day in line, had to pay to get in and had to have snacks and meals. Well, would you not have eaten if you went and only bought for yourself?

It is definitely each person's perrogative to purchase and resell pins for whatever price they feel they can get. With this particular release -and so many people wanting them - I would have just like to have seen a lot more "helping" than "price inflating". Again, this is just a dissapointment to me. So, when the Florida Project comes around, I will be interested to see how many of these same people will want to hop on a RSP at the cost of the pin.

By the way, I want to say that I appreciate the friendly tone of the replies and comments here (no sarcasm here - truth). We will not always agree on everything and everyone won't always be 100% happy. I am thankful that we can express our opinions and be respected whether we agree with each other or not!

I guess I will throw my 2 pennies in, although with inflation, I really think they are probably worthless. :-(

I will go above and beyond to get pins for people who want them. I will pick up whatever is needed when I go to D-Land, if I order online, or whatever. I do not charge more then the actual cost, tax and actual shipping.

I also buy things on Ebay for people who cannot because the seller will not accept or ship outside of the U.S.

That is just me!

Now did I buy some of the items from the Alice Event at the higher prices listed? Yes, because I wanted them. Did I feel taken advantage of, no. Did I wish I could have had someone on the inside getting me some, yes, but I also knew they would sell out and I wanted to make sure I at least got some.

I am thankful for what I did get and was willing to buy them at the listed price by the DPF member.

I do not see the difference, than those on here who charge such a high price for Paris pins. Even when they are not sold out.

Everyone has the right to buy them and sell them, trade them or whatever. Would i like it if everyone would sell them at what they purchased it for? Sure, but then again, I feel confident that no one will trade me their Original Tower of Terror piece of history pin from the first ones released for one of my Sunglasses shack one, although mine actually cost more to purchase.

It's all supply and demand.

Just because I don't ask for more money to do things or get certain items, does not mean that someone else does not have the right to do so.

I do however that I can make the choice to purchase them or pass. My Holy Grails will remain my Holy Grails forever because let's face it, my traders do not even compare, but I am hopeful one day, that I will be able to trade for them. Until then, I am happilly waiting and do not begrudge someone wanting their value for them.

Again, just my two pennies worth. :)

Vicki

I totally didn't factor in ticket price. Wow, that's like 80 bucks for someone without an AP. And when people sell them for double the cost it's because they're worth that. If they didn't sell then the price would drop anyway. Supply/demand. Plenty of my friends are selling their Alice sets and getting what they need and the person they're selling them to is getting what they need. It was all luck, I don't know how you could blame someone for doing it. And like I said, so many people do this already, but because this is Alice then it's a great big deal.

The overall sense of entitlement and smugness that came with this event was unbelievable and I hope the future events turn out much nicer than this one did.

Last edited:
I think disappointed is a better description than upset....

It is definitely each person's perrogative to purchase and resell pins for whatever price they feel they can get. With this particular release -and so many people wanting them - I would have just like to have seen a lot more "helping" than "price inflating".

Sorry, when I read ALL CAPS I read it with a yelling tone in my head so I probably misunderstood the emphasis with which you were saying things.

But, I'm sure there was a lot of helping going on, we just don't see it. It was probably all behind the scenes amongst friends. Kind of like how you don't invite someone to a party when they are standing next to someone that you don't intend to invite.....:lol: dumb analogy, but I think you get the idea. Think of the forum as the nightly news...you don't always hear the good stuff because the bad stuff is so much more dramatic.

i am an alice collector and it kills me that alice pin prices are so high now,when i first started trading 3 years ago you could find alice pins for a reasonable price.now it seems that any and all alice pins prices are outrageous.i got a few extra pins at the event to trade for some of my alice wants,but thats it.but i cant knock those who resell like its been said time and time again you dont know the sellers story.to each their own i say,but i just wish prices would come down.

Sorry, when I read ALL CAPS I read it with a yelling tone in my head so I probably misunderstood the emphasis with which you were saying things.

But, I'm sure there was a lot of helping going on, we just don't see it. It was probably all behind the scenes amongst friends. Kind of like how you don't invite someone to a party when they are standing next to someone that you don't intend to invite.....:lol: dumb analogy, but I think you get the idea. Think of the forum as the nightly news...you don't always hear the good stuff because the bad stuff is so much more dramatic.

Actually I really liked your analogy. Not everyone can benefit, hence the reason I purchased some at the higher cost. I do plan on giving some to some friends as gifts, but it was worth it to me.

I think it is wonderful for those who had someone close to them, friend, family or what not to get them at cost for them. I did not, but I did want some, so I purached some. Hopefully my doing so did not help the rise in prices. :-( If so, my apologies to those still needing the pins.

Vicki

My opinion is that sellers have the right to set their own prices and everyone else has the right to or not to buy them. Its just like at Christmas, when people buy the hot toy and sell it for a crazy amount. Sellers have a right to mark it up 100% if they want and it doesn't bother me because if I don't like the price, I won't buy it. I been lucky enough to find nice people who are willing to pick stuff up for me at cost but if they decided to charge a little extra for their time, I wouldn't think badly of them. They are helping me out when they don't have to.

Sorry about that misunderstanding! I used the CAPS because I wanted to make sure that everyone understands that I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Here is an example of what I DON'T like - selling pins for double the cost because you (a general term) spent all day in line, had to pay to get in and had to have snacks and meals. Well, would you not have eaten if you went and only bought for yourself?

In my case, I just literally wouldn't have gone. This wasn't an event I was going to be at for my own wants - I'm not an Alice collector - and that fifty dollar door fee wouldn't have been worth it to me. I think there's a line between "I'm going for myself and I'd like to comp my food," and, "I don't have a personal interest in this event, but I'll go if my costs can be balanced." Granted, that line doesn't exist to me, because I think reasonable markups are fine, but yeah.

I do not see the difference, than those on here who charge such a high price for Paris pins. Even when they are not sold out.

I'm glad somebody's on the same page as me on the Paris comparison. That's kind of my big question about all the brou-ha-ha: "Why now?" Like, DLRP resellers routinely sell their stuff for a 300% markup, and nobody bats an eyelash. But when a DLR event sees 50% to 95% markups, we get threads like this? I'm just kind of confused as to why this was never broached before.

I'm glad somebody's on the same page as me on the Paris comparison. That's kind of my big question about all the brou-ha-ha: "Why now?" Like, DLRP resellers routinely sell their stuff for a 300% markup, and nobody bats an eyelash. But when a DLR event sees 50% to 95% markups, we get threads like this? I'm just kind of confused as to why this was never broached before.

The whole Paris pins thing has always confused me. There is someone who is constantly on here and they say they will get pins for you and you pm them and you write on the thread and they never get back to you.

I think it is a way for them to get you to try to buy their pins. Again, it is my choice to buy them, so that is neither here not there, but when someone posts a thread and then never gets back to you and your questions, it is a pain.

I have people in Hong Kong who gets me pins, people in the U.K, people near D-World and people near D-Land that all help me get pins. No one up charges, but that is because they want to do a favor. I do the same thing.

I would love to find someone in Paris willing to do this, but at this point, I don't see it happening, as they would prefer to sell them at a higher rate.

I don't think there is a difference. I guess I have never seen the DLP pin threads and the only DLP pins I own, I received by trading.

I think its different because we have previous experience with people in CA willing to sell pins at cost. I don't expect DLP pins to be sold at cost, because I've never seen anyone offer to get them at cost. I wouldn't have expected everyone in CA to sell at cost, because based on sale threads, some people do mark up their pins from the get go. I was just a little surprised, that after people realized that everything was available through the 2nd chance, and some until Sunday, that no one had any pins to sell at cost. Although, there might have been some PM deals made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back