• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

rude or not rude that is the question?

see post below

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
rude or not rude that is the question?
Id never go through someones collection and ask if they would trade or sell it as I automatically think its for keeping but Id not think it rude if it was asked nicely etc

on the otherhand..Ive asked people if they would sell pins on their trades list when Ive got nothing to offer and quite a few times its paid off.

I agree with Nursek8 and Unibear. If the pin was available for trade, it would be in my traders list. But, as pointed out earlier, there is not a hard and fast rule to this scenario.

Personally, I agree with a couple of posts made here! The pins in my collection are there for the sole reason that they are "keepers", I have had a few requests to trade certain pins for which I have given a polite "No". My collection is made up of quite specific sets so I actually find it a little annoying that someone would request a pin trade from my collection which obviosuly breaks a set? Go figure as all my trade pins are listed!

My first day here this happened to me - someone messaged me about my collection pins. I heard them out to see which ones they were and I didn't think it was rude per-say but it did catch me off guard. I don't even look at people's collections so to get a request like that was new to me.

I ask about pins in the collection all the time. All they have to do is say "no thank you" if they're not interested, and you may just get lucky enough to get what you want. If people get flustered over asking about their collection then they're taking pin trading WAY too seriously :)

Perhaps I do take pin trading too seriously, however if a pin is in my collection and not on my trades list I won't trade it. Anything that I think I might possibly trade for the right pin is added to both my owns list and my trades list. I don't appreciate being contacted to ask about something in my collection, and whilst it is frustrating to not be able to get certain pins (I suspect I'll never get the LE25 P&F pins and I'll be lucky to get the engagement pin I need), I wouldn't ask people who have my HGs in their collection if they would trade or sell it. I personally find it rude.

Perhaps I do take pin trading too seriously, however if a pin is in my collection and not on my trades list I won't trade it. Anything that I think I might possibly trade for the right pin is added to both my owns list and my trades list. I don't appreciate being contacted to ask about something in my collection, and whilst it is frustrating to not be able to get certain pins (I suspect I'll never get the LE25 P&F pins and I'll be lucky to get the engagement pin I need), I wouldn't ask people who have my HGs in their collection if they would trade or sell it. I personally find it rude.

Why not ask? All they have to say is no. That's literally the worst thing they can say, and the best thing they can say is that you'll actually get a grail. Seems like a deal huh? Like if I wanted to trade LE 25 Naveen for your Rapunzel pin in your avatar, would you really reject that if I made the offer? See where I'm going here?

Heck you never know. Someone could come up and offer you your Holy Grail and ask for something in your 'owns' list. I have plenty of pins in my collection that I would gladly give up for a Grail pin.

EXACTLY.

I personally keep my whole collection as "traders" because I'd trade any of them for my grails, mostly. I'd be missing out if I didn't take offers. And all I say is "no thank you" if I come across a trade I don't like. That's all. No need to be rude, or offended. Rudeness has no place in this hobby imo

Last edited:
Like others have said, I don't think it hurts to ask ever, but I think you have to be nice about it. I'm all about politeness because I've come across too many rude traders through pinpics.

Now I'm really curious....I'm wondering if there is a correlation between this poll and the poll about how long you have been collecting....about 48% of the people responding to the collecting poll have been collecting for 5 years or less and this poll is split right now 50/50.....

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between how long you have been collecting and how you feel about this question??? It would make sense.....if you are new then you don't have a lot of the older pins that are really popular so you feel that you need to do whatever you can to find them......but if you have been around for awhile you have likely put a lot of work into building up your collection and might bare your teeth like a rabid dog if anyone were to try and reach in to take one of your treasures ;)....

Now.....this is just a theory....of course there will be people who don't fall into this. There will be new people that think it is rude and there will be older traders that don't think it is rude.....I'm just wondering if there is a trend here. I know just by looking at the posts that some of the people who have said it is rude have been around for awhile and have some amazing pins in their collection while some of the people that are saying it isn't rude I'm pretty sure are relatively new....

Thoughts?

I wouldnt say its definately split as Ive relatively new as Ive been collecting for about 1 year 4 months and I said I wouldnt go through someones collection unless stated in a for sale thread to see if there is anything I would want.. as Im to assume if it in their collection its there for keeps. But then again I see some logic in your theory as newer collectors probably dont know the rarity of some pins and ask anyway as like scott said there is no harm in asking as it can only be be replied with a No, but still Id hate to recieve one of those emails.

But like you said Erica, that there are some who have their collections as their trades which I find sooo frustrating as it isnt fair when you know they are not going to trade, I personally know 1 trader who does this and I think its wrong, I always check my trade requests to see if they are going to this particular trader as if they are I just delete them as its pointless.

If people get flustered over asking about their collection then they're taking pin trading WAY too seriously :)

Well, I definitely fall in this category, then. There are several pins in my collections (mostly DA LE100 or LE50's) that I have spent several years and probably several hundred $ getting, and it wasn't easy. They WERE my grails and if I ever traded any of them away, they would automatically go BACK on my grails list and I'd have to spend another 2-3 years and much $ to get them again (and there's no guarantee that would even happen!).

So, yeah, I take pin collecting (trading??) very seriously. And I am very bothered when someone does not respect the boundaries set by the 'wants'/'trades'/'owns' categories. As I said, if they were traders they would be in my 'trades' list, and I think it's rude to presume that I care so little for the pins I worked so hard to get.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now...

......but if you have been around for awhile you have likely put a lot of work into building up your collection and might bare your teeth like a rabid dog if anyone were to try and reach in to take one of your treasures
That might be me lol, Some of my collection i paid alot for and there is not a pin that i am looking for that would even tempt me to trade from my collection at this point. some of the pins in there i have not seen for trade in years nor on ebay. it would take major bucks to get me to part with them and from what i have been reading nobody wants to pay that much.

My gut feel is that I would think its rude, but how rude would depend on the fairness of the trade, in my eyes. I mean, if someone took the time to look at my collection and offered a like value trade that still fit in my collection... I probably wouldn't be offended- and may even trade. Of course, that may take mind-reading powers to just "know" what my "main" collection is after looking at my owns, but if you think you can mind read, you're welcome to try. ;)

I wouldnt say rude..... just maybe bad form. I have on occasion offered someone the chance to pick something from my keeps collection when they have something I very much want. But until the point that someone offers it I wouldnt make that suggestion unless it was something super super important to me. But even then it'd be prefaced with alot of apologies etc.
+1

not rude, imo. Doesnt hurt to ask.

Now I'm really curious....I'm wondering if there is a correlation between this poll and the poll about how long you have been collecting....about 48% of the people responding to the collecting poll have been collecting for 5 years or less and this poll is split right now 50/50.....

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between how long you have been collecting and how you feel about this question??? It would make sense.....if you are new then you don't have a lot of the older pins that are really popular so you feel that you need to do whatever you can to find them......but if you have been around for awhile you have likely put a lot of work into building up your collection and might bare your teeth like a rabid dog if anyone were to try and reach in to take one of your treasures ....

Now.....this is just a theory....of course there will be people who don't fall into this. There will be new people that think it is rude and there will be older traders that don't think it is rude.....I'm just wondering if there is a trend here. I know just by looking at the posts that some of the people who have said it is rude have been around for awhile and have some amazing pins in their collection while some of the people that are saying it isn't rude I'm pretty sure are relatively new....

Thoughts?

I wholeheartadly agree! Teeth baring and all!

For example, this has happened 3 times this month already..... I send out a ta for a newer shopping 250 that is still for sale, I get the response that they would like to trade for my Jessica as Alice shopping 250 from my collection instead of what I have offered....Just sayin, it gets a little old when it is happening consistantly..... Sorry.....

Last edited:

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between how long you have been collecting and how you feel about this question??? It would make sense.....if you are new then you don't have a lot of the older pins that are really popular so you feel that you need to do whatever you can to find them......but if you have been around for awhile you have likely put a lot of work into building up your collection and might bare your teeth like a rabid dog if anyone were to try and reach in to take one of your treasures ;)....

Well, I am an older trader, and as long as the request was polite, and not asking for something from my main collections, I would think it's okay. I feel that way because when I started collecting pins in 2000, I was living in WA state, visited a park less than once a year. So whatever pin I could get, I would take. This has left me with a bunch of pins that were "oh, so cool, I have a CM pin," that when I'm flipping through my books now, I'm like, "Why do I have this pin?" Since my Mom was a Disney Store CM, when we'd go to DL or WDW, we'd buy one of each pin available, even if we really had no interest in it. I've been slowly adding them to my trades list now. For so many years, it was get pins, add to Pinpics, put in book, forget about it. I never went back and re-examined the collection to see if I still wanted certain pins in my collection. A polite request might have prompted me to do some re-examination sooner. But I do agree, that if certain pins were asked about I would be upset, some very upset. After completing the 1998 DL attraction set, if asked for one of those I would be annoyed, because it's obvious I have a complete set, so why would I break it up?

But on the flip side, some of these pins that I have been transitioning from collection to trades, I have received trade offers for. I am still sentimental about some of the pins. When I say, that this pin is for trade, but I am looking for an older pin, especially one that would help me complete some sets that have priority. The response isn't always, "I understand." Frequently, it's got a little bit of a "if you aren't going to trade why is it on your trades list?" attitude. But I absolutely would trade the pin, just not for everything on my wants list. So what's better? Put it on trades and have people get upset when they can't trade for it. Keep it in collection and lose out on potential trade opportunities?

Last edited:
When I say, that this pin is for trade, but I am looking for an older pin, especially one that would help me complete some sets that have priority. The response isn't always, "I understand." Frequently, it's got a little bit of a "if you aren't going to trade why is it on your trades list?" attitude. But I absolutely would trade the pin, just not for everything on my wants list. So what's better? Put it on trades and have people get upset when they can't trade for it. Keep it in collection and lose out on potential trade opportunities?

Yes, this is a problem as well. Some traders can't seem to comprehend that all pins are not created equal, even if they are the exact same LE. Someone recently told me that they didn't agree with giving a monetary value to pins and that pin trading was a hobby for them, not a business, when defending that they didn't know anyone that would actually trade and LE 250 for a rack pin. Coincidentally, the persons wants list was flooded with really difficult high end pins and yet they had nothing of equal value to trade for them....

Pin collecting/trading is a hobby for all of us....otherwise, we wouldn't even be here! But just because it is a hobby and for fun doesn't mean that pins don't have an associated monetary value. Pins cost money. Period. Some cost more than others. Add sentimentality to the mix, and no, not every pin on someone's trades list is going to be a trade option for any pin on their wants list.

So, unless the pin market completely crashes one day or those types of traders change their way of thinking, chances are that they won't be getting any of their difficult wants anytime soon.....and where is the fun in that???

I say leave those pins on your trades list and let people know what you are willing to trade them for if they ask. And if they still throw a hissy-fit, begone with them!!!

Last edited:
I really don't like people going to my collection and requesting one of those pins in trade instead of what I have offered. I'd prefer a "no thank you".

I don't really mind someone "asking" for another pin on my TRADERS list verses what I have sent via a TA. BUT, my collection (Keepers) is not up for Trade, if I even had a remote thought of Trading from my Keepers it would have been on my Traders list in the first place.

Mike S.

I don't really mind someone "asking" for another pin on my TRADERS list verses what I have sent via a TA. BUT, my collection (Keepers) is not up for Trade, if I even had a remote thought of Trading from my Keepers it would have been on my Traders list in the first place.

Mike S.

So, if I offered to trade you 76770 for pin 80514 you'd decline me?

Why not ask? All they have to say is no. That's literally the worst thing they can say, and the best thing they can say is that you'll actually get a grail. Seems like a deal huh? Like if I wanted to trade LE 25 Naveen for your Rapunzel pin in your avatar, would you really reject that if I made the offer? See where I'm going here?

I wouldn't want to be put in that position, because it's lose-lose for me and win-win for you. That's why it's in my collection list, not my trade list. And for the record, I wouldn't make that trade as I'd be damned suspicious as to why someone wanted to make that trade. Plus I really love the Rapunzel pin and i couldn't let it go.

I wouldn't want to be put in that position, because it's lose-lose for me and win-win for you. That's why it's in my collection list, not my trade list. And for the record, I wouldn't make that trade as I'd be damned suspicious as to why someone wanted to make that trade. Plus I really love the Rapunzel pin and i couldn't let it go.

It was just a metaphor. So imagine it'd be for any pin in your collection for a deal that seems very good from a reputable trader. You'd decline? You'd be winning btw, you're getting the LE 25!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back