• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Saying goodbye to trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying goodbye to trading.

Stitch2814

#1 Kevin Fan
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey everyone,

just thought Id post in here to say im giving up on trading for the foreseeable future and I am going to concentrate on buying my pins from now on as its much easier and less stressful.

My reason behind this is down to a number of factors, one being it isnt fun to trade anymore as its becoming clear that everyone is out to get the best trade possible and not trade for simply helping someone out. Even I try my best to help out others and trade for trading sake when I can but then that became a one-sided field and its not being returned..I know its not needed but for those Ive helped out and to then be told sorry cant help when they have pins I need then Ive had enough of being nice.

I may just be going through a phase so I may return to trading for pins I need but at this moment in time Ive just given up, pure and simple as it just isnt fun for me anymore and Ive lost the need to help out other traders to get there wants.

This thread isnt specific to anyone just what Ive come to realize over the last few months, more so after my DLRP trip.

Im still going to be on the forum just not going to be actively trading.

:wavey: :wavey::wavey:

Awww I am sorry to hear this - as we never got the opportunity to trade with each other. But I hope that the "bad" taste in your mouth will subside and that you will come back to trading!!

Glad you will still be around, but sorry to see you leave away from trading. Hopefully at some point in the future you will be able to pick it up again :) Best wishes to you!

Hey Danny , so sorry to hear you are feeling this way:( but hope to still find you around here to chat

Since I'm away from the parks and am at least several hundred miles from the nearest trader, I've gone to to limited association status which doesn't stop me from being on the forum of course. Hope to at least hear from you in chat from time to time.

Sorry to hear this Danny. I completely see where you're coming from. I'm backing away from trading a bit too at the moment. Trading in person is easier than online I find, but I'm losing interest in that at the moment, for various reasons.

You better be still coming to Mousemeets!!!

I know how you feel having had three trades for grails going this past three weeks only to have the people stop returning emails. Just when you think you've got it wrapped up and an equal deal, boom, outta luck....I wish they'd at least say no after all the work as opposed to being ignored. Swim2sea is about the only reason I'm maintaining sanity inthis "game" right now. Hope the feeling passes, good luck!

Im still going to mousemeets as I can finally meet alot of traders so one reason I want to go. But I dont see me doing a massive amount of trading if Im honest.

Lemec, I know how you feel as thats whats happened to me recently, I got offered a pin I really wanted for the PTN Rapunzel and I tried to multi-trade and they said no but I could pick either 1 of the 2 pins I wanted..I picked the one they initially offered me and heard nothing...next day I get a request for the 2nd pin they had for the PTN Rapunzel which the 2nd pin was less rare than the 1 I wanted so they obviously want to try and get the better deal.

Its one of many things that is just putting me off trying to trade at this moment in time.

I'm so sorry to see you stop trading, but I understand. I've had a very long spell where I can't trade anything. I can't even get people to negotiate with me. You offer an opening salvo and they just - go away. It's hard to buy when you don't have a job, but I wish you luck. Just be cautious on the Bay and other places. Hope you change you mind and I hope you know that we are always here for you.

Lemec, thanks for the vote. I tend to work harder helping someone else get their pin than I do to get my own.

Im still going to be on the forum as only way Id be able to stay up to date and in the know for pins hahaha or else Id be lost just not being active thats all.

Thats the thing Margaret, you hit the nail on the head, Im getting people fishing to try get my best pins then offering me less or just not responding to my messages. I tell people to pick whatever of my trades as I see in some threads that say 'open to any offers' and I try and fall flat on my face...even when I offer pins Im unsure I want to keep...

Wishing you all the best!

We know the feeling!!!!

Stay strong and remember, It's all about the mouse!

Vicki

Hey everyone,
My reason behind this is down to a number of factors, one being it isnt fun to trade anymore as its becoming clear that everyone is out to get the best trade possible and not trade for simply helping someone out. Even I try my best to help out others and trade for trading sake when I can but then that became a one-sided field and its not being returned..I know its not needed but for those Ive helped out and to then be told sorry cant help when they have pins I need then Ive had enough of being nice.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but oh well.....

"Helping" people can be a very tricky thing, especially online when you don't really even know the person. I'm surprised that I've never seen this discussed before. Probably because Dizpins always wanted to pretend everything was all hunky-dory..... But the reason you listed above is precisely why I have for the most part stayed away from zapping, games, or helping threads. I've had bad experiences where people weren't very greatful or when you actually did have someone's grail they expected you to trade it to them for cheap.

When I look through the grail thread sometimes I think....."that pin isn't too difficult to find...it just costs $25, $50, or whatever". And that is when I think to myself, "oh....so it isn't that they can't find it, it is that they can't find it for cheap so that want someone to "help" them". The word is "help", not "hand-out". I just don't think it is right to ask for help with a pin when you aren't willing to give what it is worth. Please don't confuse that with overpriced items. If a pin with a true value of $75 is sitting on ebay for $300, by all means, ask for help finding it, but be prepared to trade/pay $75 for it.

Everyone has their own wants and goals in pin trading and some people's wants/goals are more difficult than others. And over the long term, pin trading/collecting is expensive. So you need to gain where you can. For example, if I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. one night to get a good pin from Disneystore.com, I'm sorry, but I am not trading it out at cost unless that is what the market value is. If I just helped people out like that all the time then I'll never make any progress myself because more often than not, the people that need/want the help are people that will never be able to help me because a lot of my wants are so difficult. You can say what you want about pin karma, but sometimes it just doean't work. Look at swim2sea again for example. I see people post all the time about how she helped them but nobody can help her. Not necessarily because they don't want to, they just can't.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping friends or picking things up for them. But when you work hard to get good deals or find things for people you shouldn't be expected to just give it away. If you just get satisfaction out of helping people and don't care if you lose money in the process that's great, but not everyone can afford to do that, especially not for strangers.

It just depends....For me, if I'm going to helping a friend, I just want to be kept whole (unless it is a gift of course). So, if I get lucky and find their grail for cheap then I'll pass it to them for what I had to give for it because the only reason I was looking for it was for them. But if it is for someone I've never even met....then I'm probably going to want a little more for it because I put the work in and I'd want any of my postage costs covered.

And then you get into the aspect of picking things up for people. We've all seen the bad part of that. Like the person that was having someone get things for them and then were just putting them on ebay. I've picked up things from Disneystore.com before with no problem, but where I've started having issues with it is D23. I had done it 3 or 4 times where people would just pay me cost and I would add it to my order......but then it hit me that it was totally unfair! I don't live near the parks so I don't get any of the perks of being part of D23 other than the fact that I can buy stuff. I don't even read the magazines and the gifts are lame....so really, that's it. I was paying $75 for the ability to buy stuff (pretty much the reason I probably won't renew this year). So I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to join and would rather just get someone to buy for them.....but I paid my $75, so why should everyone get a free ride off me??? So, I stopped. That may be ruthless, but it just isn't fair for me to pay that cost and have others use it for free.

Idk....the whole thing can just get sticky sometimes, whether it be helping or trading. Like in trading, if I'm going to trade for pins that I don't even want/need for my collection then I'll probably need a better deal. I'm not going to make a special trip to the post office and pay for postage just to stay neutral. For example, I just traded for a pin that is an extra for me, so I traded evenly for it and then it cost me $3 more in postage to get it. If I trade it out for something I want, then that's great. But if I trade it out for just another trader pin....that's another $3 in postage just to stay in the same place. Doing that just adds to the cost of my traders and in turn makes me want more for them. That's why, for the most part, if I am trading for traders then it has got to be worth my while. That way, I'm helping someone by getting them a pin they want and they are helping me by keeping me whole by giving me a slightly better deal.

It has to be a two way street. I've found that you can't help people and expect it to come back to you because it won't always come back. And your perception of how much you helped them may differ than theirs. You might think, "I just found this pin for you so you owe me one" but they may be thinking "I gave you a pretty good deal last month so now we're even".....tricky game to play....

My recommendation is to just make sure you are happy with each and every deal. If you want to help someone, great, but you've got to assume that you will get absolutely no help in return.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but oh well.....

"Helping" people can be a very tricky thing, especially on line when you don't really even know the person. I'm surprised that I've never seen this discussed before. Probably because Dizpins always wanted to pretend everything was all hunky-dory..... But the reason you listed above is precisely why I have for the most part stayed away from zapping, games, or helping threads. I've had bad experiences where people weren't very grateful or when you actually did have someone's grail they expected you to trade it to them for cheap.

When I look through the grail thread sometimes I think....."that pin isn't too difficult to find...it just costs $25, $50, or whatever". And that is when I think to myself, "oh....so it isn't that they can't find it, it is that they can't find it for cheap so that want someone to "help" them". The word is "help", not "hand-out". I just don't think it is right to ask for help with a pin when you aren't willing to give what it is worth. Please don't confuse that with overpriced items. If a pin with a true value of $75 is sitting on ebay for $300, by all means, ask for help finding it, but be prepared to trade/pay $75 for it.

Everyone has their own wants and goals in pin trading and some people's wants/goals are more difficult than others. And over the long term, pin trading/collecting is expensive. So you need to gain where you can. For example, if I stayed up until 2:30 a.m. one night to get a good pin from Disneystore.com, I'm sorry, but I am not trading it out at cost unless that is what the market value is. If I just helped people out like that all the time then I'll never make any progress myself because more often than not, the people that need/want the help are people that will never be able to help me because a lot of my wants are so difficult. You can say what you want about pin karma, but sometimes it just doean't work. Look at swim2sea again for example. I see people post all the time about how she helped them but nobody can help her. Not necessarily because they don't want to, they just can't.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping friends or picking things up for them. But when you work hard to get good deals or find things for people you shouldn't be expected to just give it away. If you just get satisfaction out of helping people and don't care if you lose money in the process that's great, but not everyone can afford to do that, especially not for strangers.

It just depends....For me, if I'm going to helping a friend, I just want to be kept whole (unless it is a gift of course). So, if I get lucky and find their grail for cheap then I'll pass it to them for what I had to give for it because the only reason I was looking for it was for them. But if it is for someone I've never even met....then I'm probably going to want a little more for it because I put the work in and I'd want any of my postage costs covered.

And then you get into the aspect of picking things up for people. We've all seen the bad part of that. Like the person that was having someone get things for them and then were just putting them on ebay. I've picked up things from Disneystore.com before with no problem, but where I've started having issues with it is D23. I had done it 3 or 4 times where people would just pay me cost and I would add it to my order......but then it hit me that it was totally unfair! I don't live near the parks so I don't get any of the perks of being part of D23 other than the fact that I can buy stuff. I don't even read the magazines and the gifts are lame....so really, that's it. I was paying $75 for the ability to buy stuff (pretty much the reason I probably won't renew this year). So I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to join and would rather just get someone to buy for them.....but I paid my $75, so why should everyone get a free ride off me??? So, I stopped. That may be ruthless, but it just isn't fair for me to pay that cost and have others use it for free.

Idk....the whole thing can just get sticky sometimes, whether it be helping or trading. Like in trading, if I'm going to trade for pins that I don't even want/need for my collection then I'll probably need a better deal. I'm not going to make a special trip to the post office and pay for postage just to stay neutral. For example, I just traded for a pin that is an extra for me, so I traded evenly for it and then it cost me $3 more in postage to get it. If I trade it out for something I want, then that's great. But if I trade it out for just another trader pin....that's another $3 in postage just to stay in the same place. Doing that just adds to the cost of my traders and in turn makes me want more for them. That's why, for the most part, if I am trading for traders then it has got to be worth my while. That way, I'm helping someone by getting them a pin they want and they are helping me by keeping me whole by giving me a slightly better deal.

It has to be a two way street. I've found that you can't help people and expect it to come back to you because it won't always come back. And your perception of how much you helped them may differ than theirs. You might think, "I just found this pin for you so you owe me one" but they may be thinking "I gave you a pretty good deal last month so now we're even".....tricky game to play....

My recommendation is to just make sure you are happy with each and every deal. If you want to help someone, great, but you've got to assume that you will get absolutely no help in return.

What is there to blast? I agree with everything you said except for one thing, and it is a personal view so I could never blast someone for it.

Personally when I am helping someone, it is because I want too and not because I expect special treatment in exchange. If your helping someone, then you should never expect anything in return.

Not saying that if I am helping someone find a pin, that I would not want a pin in return, but I would probably not want one with the same value, I would except a lower valued one.

Of course this is up to me to do and it is my decision if I want to do this.

You are sooo right, it is very expensive hobby, so those that cannot afford it basically lose out sometimes. I am always on that side of things, but there have been so many nice people who have helped me out, that I try to do the same.

I place Disneystore orders, for those in different countries, so they can have the same opportunity to get the pins we have. I have MANY people from other countries and in the U.S. purchase pins for me too. I always offer to pay, and if they would prefer to trade, I can do that too, but I do not want anyone out of money.

Trading through the mail is expensive, so when you trade for something you don't really need or want, then it can seem like a burden. I recommend trading in person for the easier finds, unless of course your like me and you love trading. I do try to do multiple trades, so it is more worth while for both parties.

You can and will be used or messed over or both. It happens all the time in our lives, and so it would happen here too. :-( It's not a good thing, but it is reality.

Everything works out in the end though. Most of the people on this forum are awesome and pull together.

It is sad that there are those that make pin trading so hard, not because they are hard pin traders, but because they are ruthless. There is a difference, like you mentioned. You cannot expect to trade a hidden mickey for a piece of movie history, which I still keep getting these requests. :-(

Pin trading is not an exact science. Everyone has their own value of their pins. Some are realistic and others are not. Since they pins belong to them, they have the right to say yes and no. You learn who to trade with and who to kindly say no.

I hope everyone can just have a great experience here on DPF, because that this what this is all about.

Happy Trading everyone!!!!

Vicki

Hey Danny, i'm really sorry you feel like this and i hope its just a temporary burn out! i'll keep an eye out for your grails on the bay!

Sorry to hear this Danny. I completely see where you're coming from. I'm backing away from trading a bit too at the moment. Trading in person is easier than online I find, but I'm losing interest in that at the moment, for various reasons.

You better be still coming to Mousemeets!!!

You can't back down, your a wonderful trader!!!!!

I may have not gotten back to you lately, because I am coo coo for coco puffs, but have been thinking about you and your hubby! Oh and let's not forget Archie. :)

You are an asset to this forum Tanya.....never give up. What do you need, what are you looking for??? I'll help. :)

Vicki

is this thread going to be turned into a discussion as theres always one isnt there.

Erica, I never said I expected help in return from anyone, but when I see people who I have helped as they were really wanting a pin and I picked it up for them to maybe be a little bit easier to trade with and to be told nah sorry then its kind of disheartening even when I got the pins from my trip in paris which took time and effort to find.

Do I expect them to help me or give me a break...no I dont. Do I expect them to automatically trade..no I dont...All I expect is for them to maybe..just maybe be kind enough to offer some trade so I get a pin I need after I travelled to paris or the UK and that for me isnt cheap in its own right so I add a little to what I try and trade for the pins just like you do by adding the postage.

Personally if Im being honest, its not that the trading is being hard its the traders themselves who are being difficult and Id rather not have to deal with people from now on as its beginning to become such a chore to please other traders to even get a deal to come close.

I trade for my collection mostly, but if I have a pin someone wants Im willing to offer my pin to get a different trader, I dont know how many times Ive helped out UK collectors for pins they want when there isnt much I would like and I never ask for anything in return as Ive made someone happy.

is this thread going to be turned into a discussion as theres always one isnt there.

Erica, I never said I expected help in return from anyone, but when I see people who I have helped as they were really wanting a pin and I picked it up for them to maybe be a little bit easier to trade with and to be told nah sorry then its kind of disheartening even when I got the pins from my trip in paris which took time and effort to find.

Do I expect them to help me or give me a break...no I dont. Do I expect them to automatically trade..no I dont...All I expect is for them to maybe..just maybe be kind enough to offer some trade so I get a pin I need after I travelled to paris or the UK and that for me isnt cheap in its own right so I add a little to what I try and trade for the pins just like you do by adding the postage.

Personally if Im being honest, its not that the trading is being hard its the traders themselves who are being difficult and Id rather not have to deal with people from now on as its beginning to become such a chore to please other traders to even get a deal to come close.

I trade for my collection mostly, but if I have a pin someone wants Im willing to offer my pin to get a different trader, I dont know how many times Ive helped out UK collectors for pins they want when there isnt much I would like and I never ask for anything in return as Ive made someone happy.

I never said that you specifically expected anything.....my post was a word of caution to trading in general and was intended to be addressed to anyone reading it. I get frustrated with trading all the time and then just blow off steam and move on. When I get frustrated it is very tempting to just turn my back on trading, but I don't think that is the answer. During those times I just tend to buy more than I trade. As my wants get harder and more specific, that's just the way it is. It is the natural evolution of pin trading and everyone goes through it. But as long as I have pins to trade, trading will always be an option.

I think maybe you should just step back and ask yourself a lot of tough questions. Is it really only specific people that are making you feel this way? If so, can you just avoid them from now on and chalk it up to learning? Are the people that have the pins you want the same people that you have been helping? Have all the offers you made been realistic? Are things bad because of all the people or because of the pins you want because the harder the pins the harder it is going to be?

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and regroup rather than just throw in the towel. That's all I'm saying...

i tend to buy what i want lately, too

it's not that i don't like trading, it's just that...when you buy everything, they tend to all be keepers, so you really have nothing you want to trade away :p

hope youll stick around as one of the "original" DPF'ers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back