• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Shipping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shipping Question

PudgeTheFish

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did a few trades a week or so ago and the shipping cost me like $4.00 each. The pins I got only said $1.50 on shipping cost. Can someone tell me how they ship step by step please?

Thanks

Hi
I ship in a LBE(Large/Little brown envelope)with first class..usually 1.71 and then del confirm costs .90 cents
I know some do the shipping info online..I am NOT sure on the DC on that though..what kind of pkging was it?
some I get come in a manilla envelope with like 4 stamps NO DC/or padding..just the card and pin thrown in the envelope
some I have gotten .just the LBE ..and pin thrown in and so on..but I pkg my pins VERY well..so it usually cost me almost $3.00
for each LBE I send

Judy

I used the bubble envelope and bubble wrap I got from a user on here. They paid around $1.75 for like 6 pins and I shipped one pin that cost me $4.00.

I always figure the cost of the envelope and use Paypal to ship with DC and it cost $1.75 to ship so add the 2 together and its about $2.50. Some people charge for gas and now with post offices closing their doors to a central location, cost may go up.

The way I do it is when they ask how I want it shipped that I want the cheapest way. As you saw on my package it was around $1.75 or so to ship it your way. But I usually buy my own shipping packages cause that way I don't have to pay for that also when I'm there.

$4 for one pin sounds excessive. Was this what you paid to send the pins or did you purchase the pins and they charged you shipping? Was it with confirmation and insurance?

OK so I had a package laying around --> I bubble wrapped pin --> Post Office --> Delivery Confirmation --> First Class

This was at a "Mom and Pop" post office(Main one was closed), but this is only $0.50 more than I usually get ripped off. So should I use delivery confirmation? 1st Class?

When I tried to do an online thing, the lowest price was $10!!!

I don't know what is up, could someone who gets good shipping costs break it down to me in the most fool-proof way possible? :)

Only a couple ounces (I used 1 ounce on the online shipping, but it said the cost was $10, so I went to the post office)

What is the cheapest price at this mom and pop place? Cause $4 is a bit much for just a single pin. Find out the reason why it was $4 to send the package.

The way I do it is take pin, put in already bought package, walk to the post office (around a mile from my place) wait in line, tell them that I want it cheaply shipped, add DC and then pay for it. That is how I do it.

Yeah...usually I pay $2.51 per envelope for First Class USPS with Delivery Confirmation. We have sent jumbos and 4-6 pins at a time in an envelope, and it would still cost that much for domestic shipping. Even when we trade internationally, we spend less than $3 per package.

The online prices on usps.com are for Express or Priority services only. You can't pay for first-class online, though you can get an estimate, but when I did one it estimated costs were like $5 for a package, but I pay $2.54 for each one at the PO.

Last edited:
If you have Pay Pal, you can use the multi-shipping tool to print postage. Set it for first class, anything 1 - 3 oz will be $1.75 with DC. That's what I do anyways.

I always get the DC but I find that the people I trade with are only paying the 1.51 as well. Should I just stop getting the DC? The extra 80 cents is not killing me but that adds up over time.

To save on delivery confirmation (and if you don't mind having an extra program on your PC), download the USPS Shipping Assistant onto your PC. You put your name/return address and that is saved for all future shipments. And, you can track your packages easier (just click on "review shipments" and "check status" and the program will check with the USPS to see what has delivered) <--this saves time instead of typing in the DC # on the USPS website.

You can get DC for 19-cents, versus the 90-cents that the USPS charges for the green DC. I usually color my DC label light green (to match the one that the post office sells) to remind the post man to scan the package :)

NOTE: PayPal's shipping assistant has this same reduced rate, but I do not like to have postage pre-paid on the package as I have odd stamps lying around (before they had the forever stamps, so I've got odd 1-cent, 2-cents, and 4-cents stamps to use). Before, I had 60-cent and $1 stamps to use. Plus, I like to use the "Send a Hello" Disney/Pixar stamps.

The bubble envelope cost depends on whether I have to go buy a new one or whether I am re-using one that was already sent to me. Regardless, it's about 75-cents for an envelope (unless you buy at the post office and theirs is about $1.50-2.) This will typically factor into the cost for the shipment because postage is not the only cost for shipping and handling. This is usually factored into the cost because the seller had to buy the envelope (or some envelope to use).

But, here's a step by step:
1. Buy bubble wrap;
2. Buy bubble envelope;
3. Wrap each pin separately in bubble wrap (or you might be able to put more than one pin in some bubble wrap, depending on the type);
4. Place mailing label onto bubble envelope first (before you put the pins in);
5. Secure the mailing label in place (glue, tape, etc);
5. Place pins into envelope with note to buyer/trader saying who it's from and what it's for;
6. Seal bubble envelope with mailing tape;
7. Place DC label (if you didn't use USPS Shipping Assistant or Paypal shipping assistant) onto envelope (usually top, to the right of the return address label or to the left of the addressee label);
8. Place postage OR take to post office.

I always get the DC but I find that the people I trade with are only paying the 1.51 as well. Should I just stop getting the DC? The extra 80 cents is not killing me but that adds up over time.

I would use the USPS Shipping Assistant. 19-cents is not a lot for peace of mind (in case someone tries to claim they didn't get the package, you can look it up/track it)

I would never stop getting DC. In addition to the great reasons provided by StarrySolo, it will also make people more willing to trade more expensive pins with you next time. It shows that you are experienced, reliable, and that you actually CARE about them receiving their pins. That goes a long way, at least in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back