• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Side by side examples: Real vs Fake (scrapper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Side by side examples: Real vs Fake (scrapper)

wmcdow

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've been collecting pins for years, but I never knew much about scrappers. I've been checking my collection for scrappers yesterday and today and I found one tonight. The following statement from pinpics helped me know what to look for:

"Please be aware that this pin is being offered for sale to pin collectors directly from factories in China. As such, there are "unauthorized versions in circulation. Unauthorized pin may have no facial detail, just silver where his eyes and mouth are."
I also noticed where there's no color in his face and slight variations in the font size on back. I was curious and searched this pin on ebay. The only pin that came up was a counterfeit. Btw this is pin 73193.

View attachment 4213

Front2.jpg

Sorry if this is already covered someplace else. I read the sticky at the top and still not sure. I'm a newbie to the pin collecting, and have found a bunch of good info on here, particularly about "scrappers". But one thing I'm not sure of is if you were buying a pin(s) off of ebay, what are some ways to be sure you aren't getting a scrapper? I've seen a few pins I've been interested in on ebay, but I'm not sure what to be looking for/asking to ensure I'm not getting a scrapper.

Last edited:
I'm new to this too...here's a few tips that I can think of:

1. Don't buy "lots" of pins on ebay. There's a lot on that say "lot of 100" and you can buy it now for $55. If it's cheap, be skeptical. A pin shouldn't be under $3.
2. If you can get a LE 250 for $5, it's probably a fake.
3. There are more counterfeit pins on ebay than real ones. (Ok, I have no proof and may be wrong but just assume this anyway)
4. If you're interested in a specific pin, look it up on pinpics.com and see if there are known counterfeits. Some list details of differences to compare to the real ones.
5. Just because the seller has 2500 positive feedback, 0 negative, and sells nothing but Disney pins doesn't mean they're real. (I noticed this last night on ebay)
6. There's no real way to know unless you buy it directly from Disney.

Note: I don't ever buy pins on ebay that have known counterfeits made.

I would encourage you to buy your pins from places like these boards versus ebay. Although you can find authentic pins on ebay, the majority of buyers on ebay don't know about scrappers; therefore, they tend to leave feedback based on the transaction itself versus the quality of the pins (they don't know the difference and think the pins are great). Here, you are finding feedback from people who, for the most part, KNOW their pins. Someone said you can't buy pins for under $3, I actually disagree. You can find lots of great trader pins for under $3 here on our sales board, but I would say you aren't going to find pins for under $1.50 each here. Hope that helps!

I do not collect many non LE pins so I always require the pins to have their original backing cards. I do take a chance when looking for non LE's.

I need a Lotso Vinylmation. I see them all on eBay but know they are all fakes. And Pinpic members want Grails for the little pin. I many never have on but when I do, I will always wonder if its real.

I disagree from the above "list" of what not to do's as far as Pin purchases go. People sell pins for a lot of reasons. We are unemployed and are now selling everything just to get by. There are many people like us out there.

Although we are almost out of trader pin "lots" now, we sell them for $1.50 here so you CAN get good, real and authentic pins for UNDER $3. I had one person from these boards last week go to my auctions and buy a bunch of .99 cent pins since the shipping after the first pin is only .50 to get traders. He was able to hand pick his traders and actually got some LE300 in the mix as well. I think his final total is around 30 pins. Of course he did buy some at a higher price but all in all I think his actual pin cost was under $50 before shipping.

I have been listing LE pins on the bay from anywhere from $.99 to $9.99 this past month. Many of them are ON CARD but not all. Some still have the little plastic cover and have never been removed. Point being you CAN buy LE 300 and under for under $5 that are NOT fake!

I believe that there are WAY more good pins on the Bay Verses counterfeit. I would shy away from someone that has a bunch of listings of the same pin and pin lots where the pins are not specifically listed on the Bay but I feel that the sellers on this board are legit.

I would suggest that you use PinPics as a tool... that much I do agree with. Remember however that just because PinPics lists a pin to have known counterfeit pins of it does not mean that the pin for Sale is a counterfeit or scrapper.

The feedback number indicates there have been that many satisfied customers nothing more. Look for those with a guarantee. Things happen, Just a few days ago I received a pin that the post was loose on and have to return it. The person I purchased the pin from on the Bay said they would give me a full refund including my shipping charges because the pin was damaged. I would never give that person a negative feedback as they are willing to give me a refund including shipping.

I feel right now is a great time to buy on Ebay using the auction format. (Many sellers seem to still inflate their Buy It Now prices but some are reasonable) There are so many people hurting (like us) that are selling off pins to survive that pins are going fairly cheaply. Combine that with Ebay allowing the first 100 listings at .99 or less to be free each month (the seller pays only final value fees if the pin sells) and you are going to see a lot of pins listed at low prices in hopes that they are bid up by the buyers. Plus there are many sellers that offer a great pin at a low price to get your interest in hopes that you will look at their other pins as well. You always have the option to ask questions about a particular auction if you are still unsure. I would also want to see a picture of the actual pin(s) being sold and not a picture borrowed from PinPics or another source. Lastly, if you are unsatisfied with the purchase for any reason contact the seller. Most will bend over backwards to accommodate you to protect their individual feedback as that is (and should be) extremely important to a seller.

Last edited:
Yes, there are many many many perfectly good pins on ebay. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for hidden mickeys with known scrappers.....well...good luck with that. You are treading in dangerous waters there. But if you are looking for nice LE or even rack pins with no scrappers warnings whatsoever, ebay is full of them!

does anyone know if there are any scrappers of the star wars vinylmation pins i just traded for lando and yoda and i just bought luke on e-bay

No clue but I have a whole set of them, still in the package if your interested in them. One set has a chaser of Leia and the other has no chaser.

They come in the original package and I purchased them myself. :)

Let me know if your interested..

Vicki

I've been particularly looking for the NBC vinylmation set of pins (complete set of 7 w/ mystery pouch still sealed) and figured I'd get the chasers individually after. Happened to notice a few chasers of "corpse kid" that have left me wondering. One thing I did notice that was odd, seems every auction for the set shows Jack included on the card, yet when you look at DS.com it shows it differently http://www.disneystore.com/vinylmat...re-christmas-pin-set-7-pc/mp/1276865/1000286/ I've been told that's a Disney screw up.

I have the set of NBC vinylmation with Barrel as the chaser. Yes Jack is included. If you get a set and end up needing Barrel let me know. I also have zero chaser but I want to keep that one.

I would be interested in a Yoda vinylmation if anyone has an extra of that one. Maybe we should start a vinylmation posting where everyone can list what they have for trade and what they need?

Last edited:
I retract some of my tips. I just got an AWESOME pin...LE 1500 Artist Choice for $4 (including shipping) and it's absolutely authentic.

I don't become to worried about a pin being a scrapper, unless I see an official warning on our Pinpics site. Once the warning appears, that pin comes of my "wants" list, unless I know the trader/buyer is reputable.

1. Don't buy "lots" of pins on ebay. There's a lot on that say "lot of 100" and you can buy it now for $55. If it's cheap, be skeptical. A pin shouldn't be under $3.
3. There are more counterfeit pins on ebay than real ones. (Ok, I have no proof and may be wrong but just assume this anyway)
4. If you're interested in a specific pin, look it up on pinpics.com and see if there are known counterfeits. Some list details of differences to compare to the real ones.
5. Just because the seller has 2500 positive feedback, 0 negative, and sells nothing but Disney pins doesn't mean they're real. (I noticed this last night on ebay)

HERE HERE!!! I don't care how new you think you are, this is an excellent list. I have been looking for a concise, simple way to state this to people in the parks for a very long time. Could I get your permission to use this info in a pamphlet or brochure I hand out at Disneyland to new traders? I'm impressed! I would be adding it to this BTW:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?1591-Check-this-pamphlet-out-suggest-changes-edits-etc.-UPDATED-WITH-LINKS!!!

However, I might just have to change a number or two to reflect all the DPF member concerns about LE prices on teh 'bay ^_^

Last edited:
HERE HERE!!! I don't care how new you think you are, this is an excellent list. I have been looking for a concise, simple way to state this to people in the parks for a very long time. Could I get your permission to use this info in a pamphlet or brochure I hand out at Disneyland to new traders? I'm impressed! I would be adding it to this BTW:

http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?1591-Check-this-pamphlet-out-suggest-changes-edits-etc.-UPDATED-WITH-LINKS!!!

However, I might just have to change a number or two to reflect all the DPF member concerns about LE prices on teh 'bay ^_^

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)

This one guy had 100,000+ pins. Number of pins on ebay right now: 131,311. Ok...so he's not going to list 100,000 pins at once on ebay, but that does support item #3 a bit more.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+lanowblog+(L.A.+Now)

This one guy had 100,000+ pins. Number of pins on ebay right now: 131,311. Ok...so he's not going to list 100,000 pins at once on ebay, but that does support item #3 a bit more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back