• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DLR Social Media Hype about PT at DL

DLR Social Media Hype about PT at DL

Connies_Hobby

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
238   0   0
My heart is very sad about all the negativity that being posted about pin trading at the benches at Westward Ho.

I understand, some pin traders are, not the best reps for this hobby (a lady I follow on IG said, "this isn't a hobby" grr). I've read, "it's a flea market," "looks tacky," "they're basically resellers," and the list goes on.

Dont even get me started on how badly a larger and larger amount of Guests, are dressing these days. I am literally shocked at times what I see. Grr. And I'm literally ready to start reporting them to CM's. And the CM's, agree with me.

I truly wish Disney would give us an area inside the park to trade. But, that will never happen.

And yes, there are the picnic tables outside the park. Which is fine. And maybe we'll end up there permanently, after all this hype.

Honestly, and we all know this, people just want to COMPLAIN...so this gives them more Fodder.

I have wanted to post a reply on Social Media, but I'm afraid too. I'll get slammed.

Just So Much Negativity for a Hobby I truly enjoy spreading the magic with Guests at the park.

So Many, Magic Moments, I can't count them all.

Okay, I'm not complaining, etc., I think I'm just very sad, that a hobby I started at DL 13 years ago, and still enjoy there, at least once a week, is getting Slammed by people who don't know anything about it, other then, "they're taking over to many benches."

I would appreciate anyone's feedback. Ty.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Tbh (and this is just me) I don’t like the traders that stake out outside of Westward Ho benches on the regular. Most of them run around the parks pin trading all day and taking any reasonable pulls from the boards/lanyards.

Then they sit on the benches and don’t really want to trade value for value because they typically want to trade up.

This is a HUGE generalization and I’ve only tried to trade the “bench people” a few times and each time I walked away feeling crappy because I either overtraded or got rejected.

I’m sure there’s good ones that trade there too, but I’ve only encountered the snarky ones thus far.

@mybabykelly ty for your input.

I Do Understand your point of view. And you are right. And these are the PT's that are giving the Hobby a Bad Reputation.

I realize there is Junk on the boards. But, in all honesty, a lot of guests bring Junk they purchase on eBay or Amazon and trade.

And, the way you feel when you walk away, is something I personally, when I'm trading, strive hard not to do.

I greet each guest, interact with them, say Thank you. I find out why they want the pin they are trading for. And that is just so much fun.

And, I'll have to agree, that all the boards, verses Books do make the benches look like a flea market.

And, one trader will take up a whole bench because of all the Boards.

Pin Traders/pin trading has changed A Lot of the Years. And not necessarily for the Good.

But, there are those, that really strive to make this an experience that they'd want in return, like myself.

I guess, my perspective is becoming rarer, and rarer. And that's sad. This is such a wonderful hobby.

I encourage my dpf Family to go and be a trader you would like to interact with.

We need to bring back, Pin trading with integrity.

And finally, I'll share, I personally don't trade much with the Other Pin Traders at the benches. They Can be difficult. And that's okay for me, because I would much, Much rather trade with individual guests, fellow traders that come up to me, and spread the magic.

I think it is okay to take one backpack or one trading bag into the parks to trade. I have encountered some pin traders as you described above at Epcot around pin traders before they closed. My take is that if you want to pin trade at the park, be an ambassador for the hobby, not out to make a profit. If you sit in an area, limit your time to 30 minutes, maybe 45 minutes if you are busy trading.

I realize there is Junk on the boards. But, in all honesty, a lot of guests bring Junk they purchase on eBay or Amazon and trade.
THIS.

As someone who spends a lot of time trading in the parks (rarely sit on the benches as I don't have boards full of pins to trade but I do trade with people there regularly and hit the park boards a lot), it burns me up to see day guests bringing baggies full of fake junk and trading them for real pins. (I don't take issue with the Amazon exclusive pins - they're at least real licensed pins even if they are of lower quality/soft enamel.)

I have real pins. I trade for real pins. And it's seriously annoying that people suck up any good stuff with their cheap ebay scrappers.

It's not just passholders who are the problem.

That said, there are definitely sharks at the benches. But there are reasonable traders there, too. And nice ones that will look out for you if they know what you collect or are hunting for.

With the announcement of new additions coming to DL and DCA, does anyone else think/hope that there will be a section of benches or tables built within the planned expansion specifically targeting and encouraging bench trading? I like the idea of people setting up to trade while not necessarily having to step into the parks and take up the spaces meant for relaxation. I feel like most pin traders are at the parks to enjoy the parks as much as they do interacting with pin friends.

I understand that some people would like to bring a wide variety of pin types and editions to the parks but bringing a hoard like you'd do at a monthly event to cover a limited, specifically designated seating area is pushing it a little. There are a variety of people who know how to trade fairly, those who scalp, and new traders who come out to trade every day. In-person trading needs a revamp from the Parks employees and I wish they would bring back good etiquette practices.

You can't always be happy with everyone who travels to the benches but you can always enjoy your time talking with people and sharing stories... even if you don't make a trade!

This is not new. Pin traders were kicked out of the table area at the edge of the restaurant on the other end of pin traders in Frontier Land what in 2016 or 2017? They relocated to DCA in a food court in the Pier area. And then I guess were kicked out of DCA? This was when they moved to the picnic area outside DLR. Slowly PTs have crept back into Frontierland, so not really surprised once again cast members took action to move PTs on again. Seems like the circle of pin trading life at DLR.

Not sure why traders like to be in the park? I don't go into the parks much anymore, so wouldn't mind if the pin traders were outside the park entrance. You don't have to be inside DLR to trade is my thought. The only benefit might be the foot traffic walking through Frontier Land? But if the picnic area (outside DLR entrance) became a trading location again, I wouldn't mind...

Finally, I have traded (prior to pandemic) with the Frontierland bench PTs. Made some great trades. Never felt cheated.

And really 'finally' now, I do my best to avoid most types of social media (this forum is as close as I really get.) Will not engage with the negativity. There are too many people willing to troll thoughtful and sincere comments like the one you want to make Connie. Just know we all understand and are right there with you in our love of this hobby and our desire to pass on the magic. No need to engage with the pin haters. You have already been heard by the pin lovers!

I am all to familiar with several points above. And I agree with much of what was said.

Thanks for all the feedback. It helped, a lot.

Guess I just needed to vent. I love this hobby. It's near and dear to my heart.

And really want to be a Good Example to others.

Connie your comments I agree with. The hobby has changed a lot over the years. I have been collecting/trading for now 13 years (not as long as lots of you). I recall when we were concerned the hobby was being ignored or going to be ended by Disney. I am very happy that it seems Disney is more interested in pins, not as much as in the most popular time. Also, happy we have more options for official Disney pins (loungefly, amazon, etc.). I have seen some new art from Alice this way. There is now a lot more people than before 2020 who don't consider it a hobby anymore.

I traded for the first time with PTs at the benches on my last trip last month. There were some very nice traders who really tried to make a trade for some pins I was looking for. But I did see a person talking to a guest showing them a photo on their phone of a new pin that just came out and gave them instructions on how to buy the pin at the Trading Post. That rubbed me wrong and how blatant it was what they were doing. I know that happens, but to see it and how obvious. The person was not hiding or being discrete about instructing the guest on what to do and ask for the pin behind the counter, etc.

I do think is good to have the benches and having the opportunity to pin trade in person. But I can also see how Disney may get enough complaints that they may needed to do something. I hope this is temporary and the benches come back. I did have fun when I traded that day.

People do trade at the picnic tables on Sundays - that came back fairly recently. Though it's often higher end pins brought there and I tend to just trade for/bring smaller stuff.

But it doesn't attract tourists or more casual traders, just the folks who already know to go there.

Being at the benches in Frontierland has two benefits - one, it's more visible (I'm constantly hearing people say "ooh look pins!" when there) and two, it allows people to go buy pins for trade in the store nearby if they see someone with a pin they want for trade but don't have anything to trade themselves.

That said, I'd have no objection if people were limited to bringing/setting up either two pin bags or two boards. I like seeing people with a large selection of pins to trade as it's more likely I'll find something I want, but I don't object to an enforced limit that's reasonable. (One bag or board isn't really enough.)

I think the worst interaction I've seen was guy had two trade lanyards with some really good pins. A little girl (of about 4 or 5 yo) asked him about trading for one of the pins for one off of her princess lanyard. His response was "do you know how much this pin is worth!? No I will not trade", and walked off. The little girl left crying. I talked to the little girls mom and apologized for the guys rude behavior and gave the mom a bunch of trading pins for her two kids to trade.

I think the worst interaction I've seen was guy had two trade lanyards with some really good pins. A little girl (of about 4 or 5 yo) asked him about trading for one of the pins for one off of her princess lanyard. His response was "do you know how much this pin is worth!? No I will not trade", and walked off. The little girl left crying. I talked to the little girls mom and apologized for the guys rude behavior and gave the mom a bunch of trading pins for her two kids to trade.
That breaks my heart. I'm so glad you were there to represent the best of pin trading and turn their day around.

Just wanted to share that Connie is famous! She’s in a video a friend of mine filmed while trading at DL.

I don’t recall the rules for outside links so if anyone wants to see Connie go check out Melodie Pinz These on YouTube. It’s the video that was posted today

OMG, I only read to, "do you know how much this is worth" and my chin dropped open. Sheesh...

I just finished reading that post. My heart breaks for that ittle girl.

I should have read it all before I posted about. Thank you fire chief for sharing that. it's a perfect example of why the hobby here at the park is getting a bad name.

While that is being a jerkface to a kid and completely unacceptable, let me point out the other side of the problem with that encounter: the kid's parents.

Would you send your kid into a Nike store to buy a pair of sneakers with $5 in hand and expect them to come out with new shoes? No, because they don't have enough money to buy them. Might someone take pity on them and give them a pair of $200 shoes for $5? Sure. But the parents shouldn't have the expectation of it happening or be surprised when it doesn't. And they should prepare the kid to be disappointed and take it as a lesson in why you should work hard to be able to afford better things that you want.

If the parents don't educate themselves and their children about how to pin trade with other guests (many do, many don't) by explaining: "When you are trading here, these are people's own pins. They are looking to trade for pins they want, too. So they may say no to a trade and that's okay; you can say no thank you, too."

Because it's the uneducated kids and parents not doing their job to explain to them that was 50% of the problem here. Of course the kid wants the $50 pin because it's bigger and better and cooler than the .50 scrapper on their starter lanyard.

In this situation, the guy was absolutely wrong by being rude to a kid. No excuse for that. But the parents were also wrong by letting their kid offer an unequal trade that wasn't fair to the person with the good pins without warning the kid that the person may not choose to trade with the kid because those are really nice pins.

Then there are the parents who use their kids to trade for better pins knowing plenty of traders will make exceptions to trade unequally to kids. Other traders solve this problem by having a kid's trade board where they can trade any pin just like park boards. That only works if you have a lot of pins for trade. If, like me, you are on a tight budget and you can't afford to trade your few good trade pins to a kid for scrappers, then you should gently and politely apologize and smile so while the kid may be disappointed, they won't be discouraged. That's 50% of it, too. But parents bear responsibility. Don't throw kids into situations unprepared. If you wouldn't send them into a fine restaurant with $5 to order a steak dinner, don't give them .50 scrappers in an area full of pins worth $50-$500. Just keep them to trading with Cast Members for other cheap pins. That's what's best FOR THE KID.

While that is being a jerkface to a kid and completely unacceptable, let me point out the other side of the problem with that encounter: the kid's parents.

Would you send your kid into a Nike store to buy a pair of sneakers with $5 in hand and expect them to come out with new shoes? No, because they don't have enough money to buy them. Might someone take pity on them and give them a pair of $200 shoes for $5? Sure. But the parents shouldn't have the expectation of it happening or be surprised when it doesn't. And they should prepare the kid to be disappointed and take it as a lesson in why you should work hard to be able to afford better things that you want.

If the parents don't educate themselves and their children about how to pin trade with other guests (many do, many don't) by explaining: "When you are trading here, these are people's own pins. They are looking to trade for pins they want, too. So they may say no to a trade and that's okay; you can say no thank you, too."

Because it's the uneducated kids and parents not doing their job to explain to them that was 50% of the problem here. Of course the kid wants the $50 pin because it's bigger and better and cooler than the .50 scrapper on their starter lanyard.

In this situation, the guy was absolutely wrong by being rude to a kid. No excuse for that. But the parents were also wrong by letting their kid offer an unequal trade that wasn't fair to the person with the good pins without warning the kid that the person may not choose to trade with the kid because those are really nice pins.

Then there are the parents who use their kids to trade for better pins knowing plenty of traders will make exceptions to trade unequally to kids. Other traders solve this problem by having a kid's trade board where they can trade any pin just like park boards. That only works if you have a lot of pins for trade. If, like me, you are on a tight budget and you can't afford to trade your few good trade pins to a kid for scrappers, then you should gently and politely apologize and smile so while the kid may be disappointed, they won't be discouraged. That's 50% of it, too. But parents bear responsibility. Don't throw kids into situations unprepared. If you wouldn't send them into a fine restaurant with $5 to order a steak dinner, don't give them .50 scrappers in an area full of pins worth $50-$500. Just keep them to trading with Cast Members for other cheap pins. That's what's best FOR THE KID.
Family first time trading, kids had new starter lanyards and that was it. Mom knew little to nothing about trading. I talked to her for a little bit and tried to impart some quick pin basics.

Family first time trading, kids had new starter lanyards and that was it. Mom knew little to nothing about trading. I talked to her for a little bit and tried to impart some quick pin basics.
I think this is the crux of it. There was a lot to learn when I first started out. If I hadn’t found this sight I am not sure how I would even know there are different pins with different values. There was a better way to respond to the kid.

Agreed there was a better way to respond to the kid.

But again, you don't set your kids up for disappointment giving them rhinestones to trade for diamonds. And if you don't know what you're doing, ask first and educate yourself to help protect and teach your kid. I'm always happy to explain pin trading to newbies as are many other more seasoned traders, and give them basic pointers on what to look for and what make good basic traders (usually the newest mystery pins, working on sets, hidden mickeys, etc.).

Had a family with mom and young son and daughter come up to me at the benches. The mom reminded the kids that these were other people's pins and they may not choose to trade with them and to ask first, not just take. I had a pin the little boy wanted for the set he was working on so I traded it to him for one I didn't really want but I did want to reinforce polite and fair trading with kids. Mom was there the whole time, helping, encouraging and talking with her kids. "Are you sure you want to trade your pin? Are you sure you want that pin?" and to me "It's okay for them to trade for that?" And afterward she encouraged the kids to thank people for the trades, then she thanked me for trading with her kid.

GOOD PARENTING.

She took both kids around the trade area and some people traded with them and some did not, but most people who didn't tried to let them down gently.

GOOD PIN TRADERS.

That's how it should be done by both parties.

Conversely, I encountered a mom with a lanyard full of scrappers loudly proclaiming she wanted to get rid of all the pins she had for better ones and an out of control toddler grabbing pins from people's books and boards. She kept yelling at him not to touch and he kept ignoring her and snatching at the pins while we all tried to politely but firmly keep him from damaging the pins. No one would trade with her because she had a bunch of scrappers and a kid she wasn't teaching to behave any better so eventually she just walked off, unable to trade with anyone.

So yeah. Parents have a LOT to do with the end results of what happens with their kids' experiences in pin trading, good and bad.

Back