• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Stitch pin flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stitch pin flaw

Insomniac_SD

#TeamROSHE
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a stitch pin with devils on both sides whispering to his ear (pin: 38988)

It's a Paris Rack pin, but the one I got has no eyes. It's just blue. The pins coloring, thickness, edges, and weight seem on points. It's just that he doesn't have eyes or the devils.

Is this a common thing with pins missing things like that, is there a collecting market for these types?

4tvmnk.jpg

WOW!!! Did you get this on eBay? Did the seller/trader state the flaw in the pin? I would think that if I had a pin that truly had such an epic error on it, I would sell it as such and milk it for all that it is worth rather than hide it. Could you take a pic of the front and back, from directly overhead so we can get a better look at the quality? That's either a really, really wacky fake or a truly creepy scrapper/error pin... Get those pics!

Hard to take a good picture, the pin is glossy nothing "matte" like the scrappers on CM lanyards. The edges are smooth as authentic disney pins. Colors are dead on its just his eyes! Gaah I hope I don't have to return it. If its a pin that just happens to be one of a kind mistake, is there any tradable value to it?

Man, even pinpics is confusing. Someone posted two of the same Paris pin; they have the same SKU, same release day, but look slightly different. I can't see how this is possible; I think someone might have had a scrapper and posted it as a separate pin, but unless we could talk to who posted the duplicate, we can never know what really was going on.

On to your pin; I really don't know what to say. If it wasn't for those darn eyes, I would have said it is fine. However, I can point out one difference with your pin that is very subtle that appears on both DLRP pins on pinpics that is missing from your pin other than the eyes. Bear with me, this might get confusing.

I have had pins lose their enamel. Stamping and enamel application are two different steps in the manufacturing process. First the pin is stamped out of base metal, front and back. Anywhere there is a gold line on the front of a pin, that gold line is a raised line of base metal on the pin and the enamel is later filled in like a paint-by-number in the areas left by the raised gold lines. That being said, take a look very, very carefully at the big stitches' right eye socket. Now, go look at [PINPICS]39921[/PINPICS] . Looking at the pinpics pic, look at the shape of the black vertical oval that composes the pupil of his right eye. Look right where the black actually touches his ear. In the pinpics pic, the black oval that makes up the pupil of his eye is bisected at the top by the line that creates the shape of his head, coming down from his forehead towards his jawline. The pinpics pin shows that the outer half of the oval that creates his pupil does NOT follow the inner curve of that facial line, it actually protrudes from the side of his head where the black overlaps his ear, and that protruded oval is GOLD metal. Now, on your pin, if we were to assume that it was an error pin, the gold line from the pupil should still protrude from the head and into the ear, causing the right side of his face to have an irregularity, something that would look like a waver in the line, or a small bump. However, that area of your pin is perfectly smooth, and has a contiguous line all the way from the highest point of his forehead all the way down to the sharp 90 degree turn of his jaw line.

Long explanation short, compare the pinpics right eye very carefully to your right eye, and go back and forth a few times. You should start noticing a difference, something that should be on the edge of his head that isn't. This therefore leads me to believe that this is a very well crafted fake and not just a scrapper. The mold should have still left the properly molded lines during the creation process. Since pressing and enameling are two totally different steps in the pin creation process, I would expect that the gold lines would all still be in the right place but that the enamel simply did not fill right in the next step of creation for it to be an error pin.

Basically, your pin and the pinpics pin have to have come from two totally different molds with two similar but different designs.

Last edited:
Thanks, Geoff! Yeah you're right besides the obvious fact that mine has no eyes, the overlap with his ear doesn't seem to be correct. But I've never seen such a high quality fake. Do these pop up here and there?

I discovered yesterday that I have a pin missing one eye (my Barrel candy corn pin), but this Stitch is sort of terrifying! That makes him more endearing though, right? XD

I would call counterfeit on this one.
It is not just his eyes...
Look at the pinpics picture. The two devils are both toothless on the pin shown in the original post where the pinpics picture obviously they have teeth. It seems that in place of his mouth they just used the same color as the devils capes.

I could buy one color error on the pin as i have seen it before (pin 80446 - Flynns pupils are missing), but combined with the no teeth thing and the mouths the same color as the cape I find it hard to believe, especially as it is two different colors not one.

Also from looking at the two pin descriptions on pinpics compared to the pin shown in the post I would say it is more likely that you have 39921 and not 38988. It looks like there is no color in the tridents, his toes appear gold and his nose is a blue instead of all black, with the additional mention of the horizontal vs. vertical back stamp it seems that description of 39921 better matches the picture posted.

All that being said - It is only my two cents. Also I would be interested in trading for it if I have anything you were interested in.

This is a tough one to call, because I've bought a couple of pins (a long time ago) that were error pins directly from DLR. I've also gotten pins in trades that turned out to be counterfeits (when I first started pin trading and didn't know any better, and found out via other traders or Pinpics they were complete counterfeits, meaning the kind Disney never even designed). It just proves that unless you buy directly from Disney, you can never be 100% sure it's authentic.

One year, DLR released a pin of the Matterhorn Bobsled--only the word said "Bobled"--obviously an error, and they were pulled by CMs the same day (and oh, how I wish I had been there that day to buy one, that typo still makes me laugh!). Here's the (corrected) pin: http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=71376&sid=8624.1360004087

Some people like to collect error pins, although I don't think it's a huge group.

I got the same pin from a CM lanyard about 1.5 yrs or so ago in WDW. After coming home, I checked it on Pinpics and there was a counterfeit warning. I am not sure where that warning went now. But, I am 100% sure your pin is not genuine. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

Was lucky enough to trade for an authentic Paris one, So now I have this scrapper and the original, interesting pin but its going back to the seller V_V

Well, you know the first thing to go on a zombie is his teeth!! Poor little soulless toothless zombie shoulder devils...

Good point Tom, didn't catch that one. Well, I can honestly say it sounds like eyeless zombie Stitch might be a better hit than the real thing!
Kidding aside, I hope everything goes well and you get your refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back