• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Thrifting SF S.C.R.A.P. ❤ Truly CHEAP pin book for only $1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thrifting SF S.C.R.A.P. ❤ Truly CHEAP pin book for only $1!

Milky

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You must be wondering how I scored such a cheap pin book! Well believe me when I say that you can get one of your own for this cheap! You just need to know where to look.

Yesterday, I dropped by S.C.R.A.P. and I'm assuming people probably won't know what that is. It stands for 'Scroungers Center For Reusable Art Parts' where everything is dirt cheap. I use to go here all the time when I had to purchase art supplies for my design projects (newly graduated from an art academy). So when I went there yesterday, I realize that I could buy some stuff there to hold my pins since my small collection has been getting bigger and bigger. This is what I ended up getting.

They have a HUGE box of slide protectors which I rummaged to find good ones since some are made of thinner or thicker materials. Some are used. Some are new. Some are bigger than others. Here are the inserts I ended up getting.

Here's a pic of me putting some pins in. Of course, you can pin the pin through the sleeves so it doesn't pop up like that but I was just using it as an example since I haven't decided what pins I wanted to store in there yet.

Guess what the binder and slide protectors cost me?
It's a very nice PU(?) leather binder and pockets inside. I also got 16 small slide protectors that can hold 20 pins so total can hold 320 pins and I got 8 medium sized slide protectors which can hold a total of 72 bigger sized pins or pins w/ the card.

All this cost me.....
$1

I'm not kidding you. The girl seriously just pointed to the binder, saw the protectors I put in it and told me the entire thing costed $1.

On top of that I found these photo protectors! It was in a huge box that probably have hundreds of these!

Each packet has 25 protectors and I got 8 packs so a total of 200 protectors! I went home and decided to try them out. I'll probably ship my pins like this now :)

All this cost me.....
$1

Yep! Now the only bad part of this entire story is that SCRAP is based in San Francisco. At least the closet to me is. I've heard from my classmates that there are others scattered around NorCal so you might have to research a bit to find other SCRAPs. I tried to go on their site http://www.scrap-sf.org/ but this one only has one location and no links or addresses to their other locations. I also heard that there are other non-profit organizations which sells really cheap reusable art supplies. So this not only helps you but it also helps non-profit organizations by purchasing some of their supplies! So I urge you to search around for organizations such as these and maybe you'll get lucky and find materials to help with your pin collection :D

ps. If you do decide to drop by, all the stuff I found is on the right side. Right when you enter their warehouse, you just keep going straight and it's the right most aisle where they also have dolls and toy parts. When you're in the aisle, look to your left. You'll see a bunch of slides and at the bottom are huge boxes of sleeve protectors. At the top, you'll find binders. You can also go one aisle over to their office supply where they have clear wrapping papers, note pads, binders, hole punchers, shipping envelops and so much more! If you are an artist or crafter, this is THE place for you! Super cheap fabric, lace, picture frames, canvases and so much more!

Last edited:
!Ohhh I have to take my boyfriend. He goes to the Academy up there (we both did at one time) and he'll probably wanna go see
Academy of Art in SF? And have fun shopping there if you do decide to drop by :)

omg I'm nowhere in the area, but if anybody is willing to pick up a binder and some protectors for me, I would love you FOREVER!
I don't go as often anymore but if I do, I'll try to remember to buy some extras :D

Wow!! Congratulations on your SCRAP score. :)
Thank you!

yeah we both went to AAU for a while but I didn't have the financial aid so I moved back to Southern Cali. we're picking up a friend on Wednesday so after my class Tuesday we're gonna take naps, then leave (Driving) at midnight to get there at 8am. They're gonna move her stuff while I hit up the pier and the disney store. Then it's Japan town and lunch, then my boyfriend has to have blood drawn/donated so (he's 0- so they call him when they have none left) annnnd our friend and I will probably go to Scrap while or after he has the blood stuffs done :D

If they have a few binders like that I'll try to get one for them if they just wanna pay cost and shipping?

Talk about a score!!!!! I was trying the ones for baseball cards and using a binder, but the pins kept weighing the pages down. My brother-in-law lives in the area. I think I'll have to give him a call and snag these for me. Thanks for posting this Milky.

For those who decide to go, I'm really glad that my post helped :)

And for everyone, thank you for taking the time to take a look at this thread ^__^

You might have one near your community. These places aren't exactly advertised. I have to drive about 30~40 minutes to get to this place cause it's basically where warehouses are. Semi-hidden place. If your city has a community center or something, you can ask :)

This is great, wish we had something like this near me! That's a wonderful find and such a good bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back