• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Trade dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade dilemma

swim2sea

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I would like to have at least the regular set from the Alice event. But it seems like people are treating them as they would a HTF LE100 pin. Is it just me or does the trade value discrepancy seem rather disproportionate? I would trade them as a low LE200. And $50 a pin - whew that's a bit outrageous. Maybe I'm just too much a realist, but I'm hoping in a while things will settle down and they will trade as I hope they would.

I don't know....I don't think I'd wait too long if I were you. They are very nice pins, and with there only being (in theory) 140 colored versions and 60 chaser versions, they aren't going to be that easy. When you think about regular mystery sets where the edition sizes are all different, a lot of times the pins LE 200 and less are pretty difficult. So, with this set, all of them are less than LE 200 compounded by the fact that they are Alice, a lot of people will be trying to complete the set rather than just getting the one character they like. After the original boom of listings on ebay, there haven't really been that many new ones appearing.

The waiting game is always a gamble. Sometimes patience really pays off and other times it comes back to bite ya in the butt. For an Alice collector as big as you, I'd be hesitant to wait.

I think the biggest reason that these pins are being traded in the manner that you describe is:

1: They are of a ten pin set, so if someone has the last one you need, you will really want it, and this will happen to many people, making it more saught after. (esp. if the last one you need may be Alice or Cheshire...)

2: There is still speculation on the exact LE of these pins, most are coming to the conclusion that the regulars are LE140 & the chasers are LE60.

Whether all the hype will die down? I dunno.
When it will? No clue.

But I wish you the best of luck on that mission Margaret!

Which ones do you still need?

Maybe if you post them, more willing people will show up to help you out :)

Oh, and the other thing, people seem to be liking the color versions better than the chaser versions so with the chaser versions being such a large quantity, that makes the colored versions that much harder. I was just looking at ebay and it seems like there are more chasers available than regular ones. The down side is that the chasers are priced higher...

The back of the regular pins say LE200 so that would leave me to believe there are 200 of each and not 160. I'm just not going to pay $50 a pin for a set of pins. I haven't paid that much for an LE10. I'm going to be patient and know that "someday my pins will come". I know that as an Alice collector eventually I'll have to have them all, but patience is a virtue as my Mom used to say.

I only have the Mad Hatter and the Dormouse regular and chaser. I have two Mad Hatter regular and two Mad Hatter chasers to trade.

Margaret

Well it's not possible that there were 200 of each.
Because there were only 1000 boxes with 2 pins each = 2000 pins / by 10 (the number of characters) = 200 per a character.
So somehow the regular/chaser are a split of the 200.

& I don't blame you for wanting to wait on those ridiculous prices.
Just keep an eye out Margaret.
They will come, they always do :lol:

Once again, best of luck :x:
I know we're all giving you pixie dust for good trades.

$50 a pin does seem to be on the outrageous side. I've seen the regular ones (Mad Hatter, Tweedles, Black Card, Walrus) sell for less than $25 on Ebay, and I've seen sellers selling some of them here for the same $25 or less. Alice & Chessie seem to be commanding higher prices. I am unsure on the long term price horizon. My guess is they will start creeping up, and at some point (even though it may take years) fall down and then maybe long, long term become high again. Just a matter of if you can be in the right place at the right time, and have the money to spend. That's my problem, the other pins are coming down to only a few dollars more than retail (once you add in tax) in some cases, but I have no funds.

I wish you the best of luck, Margaret. Perhaps once the rush is done, the prices will come down to something more reasonable.

I wouldn't be too sure that the prices will come down any. I just got the LE40 Chaser (It was from a LE200 pin) that I've been looking for ever since the Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary. I purchased it for $115. Waaaaaay more than I wanted to pay for the pin, and more than I thought the value was worth. But the pins as a whole (the LE40 chasers at least) are selling about $180, so $115 isn't too bad for the going prices. If chasers are going for under $50 now, just think what it will be like in 2 years. Believe me, I know, it sucks. Look what I had to give up! The market will determine what these pins are going for, but I guess if you wait long enough the pins will eventually fall into your hands. Just depends on how long you really want to wait for that, and what you will be willing to give up after your wait.

Best of luck to you in your pin hunt. IMHO (for what it's worth), I'd go for the pins now while they're still readily available before they get "too hot" and disappear completely (save 1 or 2 a year popping up on evilbay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back