• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PIN HAUL Trading haul from 3 day visit (some great finds)

PIN HAUL Trading haul from 3 day visit (some great finds)

PinTradingForFun

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were at WDW a few weeks ago and spent two days in the parks, Epcot and HS, and one day pin trading at resorts. The boards were about 90% scrappers with the same pins over and over. But I still managed to find some that I'm happy with, including a DuckTales Character Connection LE900!

Nice grabs! I've been trying to get my hands on that Mickey as cheese pin for a year now. Amazing to find it on a trading board!
Found it at the gift shop at the Grand Floridian that's on the right when you come in from the monorail. I wasn't sure what it was but it looked unique so I grabbed it.

Pinpics says it's been scrapped so it may not be real, but it's fairly thick, feels heavy and looks right so maybe it's real?

Found it at the gift shop at the Grand Floridian that's on the right when you come in from the monorail. I wasn't sure what it was but it looked unique so I grabbed it.

Pinpics says it's been scrapped so it may not be real, but it's fairly thick, feels heavy and looks right so maybe it's real?

How does the back look?

The scrappers I've seen from this series have a wide border around the edges on the back. The pattern is different from the more recent Mickey Head pattern, but I think it's legit.
It was the different shape of the Mickey heads that made me think scrapper. But it's hard for me to tell without a real one to compare it to.

I have found several in that series recently (last 5 years or so) and all of them have been scrappers.
I'm pretty sure that Mickey pattern is not a pattern used by Disney. I could be wrong.

Not bad. Were there any boards you hit that seemed less scraperish? (And where were they?) Pre covid I felt like there were a handful of boards where the cast members were good about trying to switch up pins and reduce some of scrappers.

Not bad. Were there any boards you hit that seemed less scraperish? (And where were they?) Pre covid I felt like there were a handful of boards where the cast members were good about trying to switch up pins and reduce some of scrappers.
My general rule of thumb is the less busy the area, the better the pin boards. POFQ boards were the best, both at registration and the gift shop. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary were ok. The kidcot stations at Epcot were nearly 100% scrappers. We were staying at All Star Music so we checked that one out several times. Most of the time it was mostly scrappers but I think that's where I picked up the puzzle piece. Even the best boards are still 75%+ common scrappers.

My general rule of thumb is the less busy the area, the better the pin boards. POFQ boards were the best, both at registration and the gift shop. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary were ok. The kidcot stations at Epcot were nearly 100% scrappers. We were staying at All Star Music so we checked that one out several times. Most of the time it was mostly scrappers but I think that's where I picked up the puzzle piece. Even the best boards are still 75%+ common scrappers.
I know. Drives me crazy. Back when the Sundries shop was open at Boardwalk there was a cast member who worked there who was into pins. She tried to clear out the scrappers and that board always had at least one good find for me.

Pretty good picks, congrats! I'm suspect about that Mickey just because it is often found in scrapper lots, and the Mickey waffle back looks very off to me - the heads spaced too far apart from each other and the ears on the heads don't match the typical ear shape. The Horace H is also a common scrapper pin, and maybe the Jiminy shield, too?

Hello i am new to the pin game what do you mean by scrappers??
A true scrapper is a pin that is from an official Disney Pin production run but doesn't pass quality control. It's supposed to be destroyed ("scrapped") but sometimes they make it out of the factory and into the pin supply. However, the term here is being used interchangeably with counterfeit - either the production run mold itself is used to make additional non-authorized pins, or a new mold is made as a copy of an original mold in order to make non-authorized fake versions of an official pin. These pins are usually sold by the hundreds for pennies a pin from factories in China, which are bought by resellers and sold in smaller lots on sites like Amazon or eBay, again for pennies a pin. So those lots of, like, 25 pins for $20 on eBay? Those are all "scrapper" pins.

Back