• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Why did you decide to give up collecting a certain character/category?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did you decide to give up collecting a certain character/category?

kriscar

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have been debating on selling/trading my Figment collection.

It seems that I just don't find many Figment pins that appeal to me lately. Each time I have traded for Figgy pins lately, I have been underwhelmed. I haven't gotten that "feeling" I usually get with a Minnie, Mickey or Malie pin..

I have moved the Figment pins to my traders list but still have some apprehension.

What made you give up on a collection/character? Do you regret it?
How did you get rid of those pins? Sell or trade?

I just moved a bunch of my Stitch pins to my trades. As well as Jungle Book, Pixar pins. It was a matter of having too many collections to even approach any sort of completeness. I would really only add to these collections via CM lanyard trading. And with the current state of that, I hadn't added any pins to them for a long time. Better they found new homes where they would be appreciated. And by adding them to my trades, I got to make a bunch of trades that I wouldn't have otherwise. Plus, in the case of Stitch, collecting him is difficult. Lots of releases, lots of low LE releases, so lots of $$$.

Now, Figment is one of my collections that I do love. Yes, there are some HTF $$$ for him, but I am quite happy with how well I've managed to keep up with him, without really trying. So I might have to send a PM your way. :)

When I first started I wanted to collect every character that appealed to me: Alice, Tink, Jessica, Maleficent, the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio.
I realized that I would get no where if I collected so many so I gave up everything but Tink and Alice.

Present time I am now only collecting Alice.

For me it is SO much easier to focus on one character and actually complete a collection. Once you are confident in the collection you can start branching out into other things like I did. Not only is it just Alice now but I also do Pastoral Symphony from Fantasia, Bongo the Bear, Ariel & Eric together, and certain Jessica Rabbit.

;)

I have my main collections (Aurora and Couples) and tried for a while to just stick to those but I got to the point where now for those main ones I just need all the harder ones so I decided to collect something else I liked just so I could keep trading for easier ones also. So now I have a bunch of smaller collections too but the only one I have really given up is Jessica, she is sooo cool and there are some great pins but most are like Grails and I just figured it wasn't worth it. I didn't have very many to begin with, and I would rather get harder pins of my bigger collections then of Jessica. And I just used them as traders. I didn't regret it but like I said it was a big collection that I worked on for a while or anything.

I gave up collecting lots of characters to focus on my main 3.

NBC
Pixar
The 2 best Villains ever created (Facilier, Jafar)
I also have my 'other' pins that are really special to me! :)

I have tried many times to just focus my collection on Maelficent and Sleeping Beauty however there are hardly any good pins that get released with them. So I tend to stray into other areas lol My attention span isnt that great

i have reached that point as well,i used to love collecting minnie.but lately she doesnt do it for me,so im slowly letting go of her.my main focus is now on alice of course,and rescuers.rescuers because they are so hard to find and most of the character pins are pro pins which i actually like.but i would love to start tangled.

i tried doing the hidden mickey/ cast lanyard but gave up on doing on all of them and now just getting the ones I want. i have either traded most of them back to cm's over the yrs or traded them to others via pinpics or dizpins.

Well.......

I narrowed it down to UP, WDI Sorcer Hats LE 150's, Lotso, DSF Surprise Pins and DSF LE <150.

To end up doing this I collected

WDW White Glove until the pins dried up and then went quartly then were just ugly and increased LE.

DLR Surprise Pins until no one wanted to trade and easier to buy on eBay than trade. During the Pin Tradin Knights I stopped. Donald did it in for me.

Jack Skellington until everyone wanted grails for common pins. + they all come out at Halloween except for strays here and there. Keeping a bank roll for one month of the year is not feasible.

GRAILS just because it was fun to get them when others needed them. Just a game for me. Then sold them because I don't need Grail pins in my current wants.

Pins of the months, event pins, ect. Just not worth the time and money. If you look at my traders, it will tell the story.

Now anyone have anything from my wants. Depending on the pin(s), I usually over trade. I'm fair when you are fair. I have been trading since 2005 so I am aware of the VALUE of certain pins. Still learning but not listening to newbies thinking their new hot popular rack pins beg for $$$. Let the pin stand the test of time before you reply "it's a hard trader". Yes it is because YOU are not trading fairly for it and making it a harder trader. That's why members quit themes.

Rant over and trying to finish my WANTS. Can you help me finish my themes or one day I'll have to sell them off and collect Pieces of History from Disneyland (napkins, receipts, maps com the entrance, and soon to be a Grail - a hand stamp of S T I T C H. But don't wash it off.).

Well, it seems this is a normal cycle I am going thru...as all of you have given up on a theme at one point or another.
I'm just going to take the leap and hope I don't regret it! And if I do, I'll just pick it back up later!

Hopemax and I have arranged a trade with my Figgy pins that I am very happy with. It was great motivation and a "test" to see if I could really give them up. It gave me the courage to go forward and say that .....I am not collecting Figment anymore.... removed from my wants, added my collection to traders. <--- LoL this all sounds like I'm part of a recovery program or something!

Pre 2010 late 2009 I used to collect Haunted mansion NBC and some stitch
still do stitch but HM there were too many coming out back in 2009 and if you were a pin trader back then you'll know what I mean by that
so I thought why bother I only ever got 4 of the high end pins with NBC they always seem to have been the same and it was not fun anymore,

Hopemax and I have arranged a trade with my Figgy pins that I am very happy with. It was great motivation and a "test" to see if I could really give them up. It gave me the courage to go forward and say that .....I am not collecting Figment anymore.... removed from my wants, added my collection to traders. <--- LoL this all sounds like I'm part of a recovery program or something!

I am honored to give your Figment pins a new, loving home. :)

The first move is the toughest. But once the first ones are packaged up, and on their way, it gets easier. And then the new pins come, and it gets easier.

But one thing about givining up a theme, keep the most expensive and rare grails inthe them. You will need them for your trades in the next theme. And there you have it. That's how us older traders have Grails you want. Next year when the next batch of traders come in, you have pins they want and the cycle of life remains.

Ever since the DSF Grape Soda Ellie Badge, there has not been any Grail type pins released since. Yes, there are popular pins - Tangle, princess and the frog, ect. Unless the LE is low it can be traded for. And with DS.com on vacation, everyone want the pins of the past and makes the wants higher and the value $$$$. So when picking a new theme, make it affordable and attainable! You know you don't have traders or a bankroll that can get the few pins everyone else wants.

And don't get upset because I meaning older members say no thank you when we refuse a pin or multi trade 2009 later for Grails.

I was going to start collecting Tink, but stayed away lol. While the pins are adorable, she is not a character that I absolutely love :p I wish I could give up on stitch and Jessica lol. Those are some damn hard pins to get. People be getting crazy over their Stitch pins. Getting all offended when new releases come out or when they can get a Stitch pin lol I've had someone go as far as saying I stole a pin that was on sale from them just because they claimed that pin "belonged" in their collection. CRAZY!!!! lol Yes, stole a pin that wasn't even in their hands to begin with LMAO. Yet, I am glad I've stuck to both of them. I love them! l

Last edited:
well I gave up monsters inc...but I kept the very first ones I got. I still love the movie, but I am finding that they just dont get me all excited like the Ariel pins do...so I stick with her.

Kidup: seriously? stole a pin from you that they did not own in the first place? I'm sorry but you cant have something stolen if it was not yours( meaning you paid for it and it was in your hands) sorry that someone else got the pin you wanted but that is how things work. Like black friday...FIRST COME FIRST SERVED!

well I gave up monsters inc...but I kept the very first ones I got. I still love the movie, but I am finding that they just dont get me all excited like the Ariel pins do...so I stick with her.

Kidup: seriously? stole a pin from you that they did not own in the first place? I'm sorry but you cant have something stolen if it was not yours( meaning you paid for it and it was in your hands) sorry that someone else got the pin you wanted but that is how things work. Like black friday...FIRST COME FIRST SERVED!
LMAO exactly...i just rolled my eyes at how childish it was. Anywho..We shall not derail the thread!! :) I want to hear what other people have to say about the characters they stopped collecting. Maleficent is another one i would not dare touch.

I used to collect Haunted Mansion pins and was trying to be as complete as possible, APs, Prototypes, ect. When the overkill started coming, I decided it wasn't worth it at all.

We stopped collecting Haunted Mansion during the O-pin house period. They released well over 150 pins plus between WDI and Disneyland and to me they were all very cartoon like. The Piece of History I HM was one of the worst looking pins so we got them to trade. We have gotten a few, much harder and much older pins to get that way.

I started collecting Jessica and then NBX because there were not many pins at the time of either - and then we know what happened there lol I stopped collecting NBX

^^ So you both understand the pain behind Haunted mansion then
oh Jorge my sister tried to get me to collect maleficent as she is a fan but i told her oh no.... besides the dragon from the le 12 dragon
framed set is next to impossible to get..

But one thing about givining up a theme, keep the most expensive and rare grails inthe them. You will need them for your trades in the next theme. And there you have it. That's how us older traders have Grails you want. Next year when the next batch of traders come in, you have pins they want and the cycle of life remains.

Ever since the DSF Grape Soda Ellie Badge, there has not been any Grail type pins released since. Yes, there are popular pins - Tangle, princess and the frog, ect. Unless the LE is low it can be traded for. And with DS.com on vacation, everyone want the pins of the past and makes the wants higher and the value $$$$. So when picking a new theme, make it affordable and attainable! You know you don't have traders or a bankroll that can get the few pins everyone else wants.

And don't get upset because I meaning older members say no thank you when we refuse a pin or multi trade 2009 later for Grails.

This is great advice. Not sure I have a Figment pin that would be considered a grail. But did think about keeping 1 or 2 for this purpose.

I haven't given up any collections but I have avoided starting certain ones and others i've put on the back burner. There are tons of Alice, Aurora, and Ariel (haha! all A's!) collectors, which has these low on my priority list - also the fact that many of these pins are well out of my price range at the moment.

I'm happy actively looking for Tangled, Chip and Dale, and Aladdin for now :) I have thought about giving up my small Aurora collection for trade to help move trades along and give them to people here that are actively collecting Sleeping Beauty. In that case i'm looking at getting pins that are high on my wants list and hoping to make someone else happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back