• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2023 Pin Event - Any news?

2023 Pin Event - Any news?

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
The silence from Disney is deafening. Folks need to make reservations and stuff and its getting pretty late in the cycle to get good deals. D23 Destination D is set for September 8-10 so that time period is probably out. Any Input??

None yet. Last year they dropped the info on April 1st, so they're running late compared to last year.

I’ve been thinking for a few years now they’re going to drop it. Maybe with such a bad sale of pins last year they finally decided it’s not worth it. Although they seemed very excited to be back last year. But maybe that’s just Jes and the team and they don’t really have say over the event itself.

I've been thinking lately, is Disneyland ever going to have a Pin Trading event?

Not that I went every time. But, it would be nice to see a Upcoming Pin release coordinated with a Pin Trading Night.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Word is mostly upper management and vacant positions being eliminated.
The big wave of layoffs hasn't hit yet as far as I've heard/read. That's happening by the end of the month. But events people have already started being laid off which likely impacts this event (amongst others).

With a year needed to get the pins ready for the event I would think that they are somewhere between here and China. Poor sales for the last few events seem to be tied to the theme(s). Like I said in the past, Disney should poll the pin folks and see what they want or are interested in. The Villains event years ago was the template for the most successful Pin Event that they ever had. Even this years "theme" is broad and not very inspiring.

I do think the theme is problematic and way too broad. Although I guess it gives them more flexibility on pin design.

Laying off event people does not bode well.

That is the broadest theme since I have been following these events. They might as well have said the theme is "Disney".

Ah, but I actually think this is interesting because it emphasizes "Disney." Not Star Wars, Marvel, NatGeo, whatever other properties The Walt Disney Company now owns. So it's a very broad theme, to your point, but it suggests they aren't going to try to be all things to all people the way they have been recently.

Or I'm dead wrong about that. But recent catalogs for events of varying locations and sizes have been extremely mixed, and I wonder if they've realized What Sells in Volume (as opposed to what has a fan base that is smaller OR just not as into pins). There are people who collect SW and Marvel, but it seems like all SW and Marvel fans aren't into pins.

The event themes have always fluctuated between good (i.e. villains) and terrible (i.e. circus - one of the few events I went to but awful theme).

Agreed that Disney Magic sounds promising but also agreed they now consider everything part of Disney including brands that are not as popular with pin collectors.

I'm not holding my breath they've learned their lesson until I see the catalog.

I hope @Addicted to Alice Pins is right and they are realizing that pin collectors care about animation (Disney Studios and Pixar. Maybe Muppets) and not live action (Star Wars, Marvel, et al).

But I fear @Jabberwocky might be right that "Disney" means everything they own.

And I both hope and fear that @timeerkat is right. While I think it would greatly limit the number of pins I have interest in, it would be pretty interesting to see how creative they got to fill an event with that theme.

I collect star wars. And dabble in Marvel. I like pins for these themes... But its okay if the event organizers exclude them. Just hold a reasonably priced event. (Yes, I know... Price reduction is unlikely.)

I just read that it will “celebrate the magic of Disney parks and films”. So unless they are planning to park the Magic on Main Street one day soon, I think you all are safe.

I would be curious what franchises they put in the film category. And how Disney 100 will play into this. (Honestly surprised it’s not 100 Years of Disney Magic or something similar.)

I also bet there is at least one character as magician pin. And some Genie.

Back