• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Another New Member from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, depends on where in Houston you’re driving from. Houston is huge. It takes us about 4 hours to drive from Houston to Dallas from where we are located. It was longer driving from CA to Texas! That was a 24 hour drive and I’ve made that trip 3 times. We make frequent day trips to Waco and Dallas from Houston. When we lived in SoCal we made frequent trips to Las Vegas to visit family so a 4 hour drive is normal to us. I’d rather drive from Anaheim to Las Vegas any day over Anaheim to Los Angeles.

People complain here all the time about traffic on 59 in Houston and I politely respond with, “you’ve clearly never been stuck in traffic in Los Angeles.” At least when there’s traffic here in Texas it is still moving generally. Traffic in LA is either stop and go or completely stand still.

Woo! Another hockey fan in Texas! And Dak is a beast! I agree with the baseball games not being the same. We see the Astros play the Angels whenever we can here at Minute Maid Park and then I’ll go back to Angel Stadium and it’ll be night and day. Minute Maid is fantastic but there’s something nostalgic about being at the stadium you grew up going to. My wife and I grew up in OC so we root for the Angels but the rest of our families grew up in LA so they’re all Dodgers fans. I’ll let it slide that you’re a Dodgers fan. As long as you’re not a Kings fan we can play nice.

I hear you, nothing compares to LA traffic. Though last August when we visited, we never hit any traffic. We visit family/friends from East LA to Upland to Anaheim, and it was bizarro world (knocking wood, we leave in a week to do it all over again, and no way we’ll get lucky twice)!!

Many of the cast members are wearing lanyards. What is considered good pin etiquette is really just common sense manners: don't reach for the lanyard or stare at it, but instead ask the cast member if you can see his/her pins. And of course, never grab a pin off the lanyard; ask to trade (or politely decline) and hand your pin to the cast member with the back on (unless otherwise requested). It's really very easy and most cast members will be more than happy to help you along the way.

The pin boards usually are either on the counter or behind it. If you ask nicely, most cast members will be more than happy to bring them out for you. They also might be found in the gift shops and behind the registration desks at the hotels. Sometimes they might have pin books in addition to or instead of pin boards. The same trading principles generally apply - no more than two trades per guest per day.

OH! Good info - if I may continue to ask questions... do the pin boards basically have the same pins as on lanyards? Same risk of scrappers/fakes? I’ll be the lurker hovering around CMs trying to covertly spy as they trade with guests... Thank you for the info!

I just had a new idea. Y'all send me the ice cream and I will send you pins. Like if I send you a $50 pin, y'all go to HEB and get me a bunch of blue bell. Oh could trade for jardine's seasoning. Lol.

Blue bell is out if their mind. They want big bucks to send that gold to California.

OH! Good info - if I may continue to ask questions... do the pin boards basically have the same pins as on lanyards? Same risk of scrappers/fakes? I’ll be the lurker hovering around CMs trying to covertly spy as they trade with guests... Thank you for the info!
Of course you can continue to ask questions, that's the best way to learn. :) In general, I would say that the pin boards and books do tend to have the same pins as you will find on lanyards. And unfortunately, the same risk of scrappers/fakes (which are not the same thing, by the way) does apply.

But here's the thing about trading with CMs: the pins a CM is wearing aren't his/her own. Those pins 'belong to Mickey' and as such, that CM has to trade according to 'Mickey's rules.' Basically, a pin just has to be 'official,' meaning it has to have the Disney back stamp(s), and the CM can't already have that particular pin on his/her lanyard. That rule might get softened a little for trading from the pin boards and books. I believe, depending upon size of pin boards, CMs may or may not accept duplicate pins on a pin board. When trading from a book, generally, the pin you're trading just shouldn't be on that particular page.
It has been a while since I have traded in the parks and I don't know how strictly the CMs are enforcing these rules; they may be enforcing them strictly or not at all.

When it comes to scrappers/fakes (and this is one of the hard parts of pin trading), CMs have to accept them because, according to the limited rules, they meet the criteria for 'legit' Disney trading pins. The thing is, very few CMs know (or care) whether the pins actually are legit
because they aren't actually pin collectors/traders. They're just wearing and trading 'Mickey's pins.' You hand them a pin, they hand you a pin, you both go about your day. All they know about pins is that they're shiny pieces of metal with pointy backs attached that make otherwise intelligent people go stark staring bonkers. A few pin-knowledgable CMs will recognize a scrapper/fake pin and after accepting it in a trade, set it aside to be taken out of circulation (destroyed), but I'm finding that those CMs are few and far between. The best way to avoid scrappers/fakes is to educate yourself, try to avoid trading for them, and accept that no matter what, you're probably going to accidentally trade for a few anyway.

I just had a new idea. Y'all send me the ice cream and I will send you pins. Like if I send you a $50 pin, y'all go to HEB and get me a bunch of blue bell. Oh could trade for jardine's seasoning. Lol.

Blue bell is out if their mind. They want big bucks to send that gold to California.

HEB says hello

28891407137_2c69840148_d.jpg

I have a trip to dlr coming up soon. I will post here and see what pins to look for. It is so not fair that y'all get bluebell and whataburger anytime you want. I'm really in the wrong state. Lol

Thank you! And why can not one other place duplicate a cheeseburger without the burger?? I’ll always be an INO loyalist, but still...

Five Guys does! It's on their regular menu. And you can add all the veggies you want.

We're nowhere near Texas but I'm married to a Southern CA transplant. Every time we go back to visit his family, he tolerates the traffic less and less. And we always get In and Out.

Five Guys does! It's on their regular menu. And you can add all the veggies you want.

We're nowhere near Texas but I'm married to a Southern CA transplant. Every time we go back to visit his family, he tolerates the traffic less and less. And we always get In and Out.

This is so timely! I’ll be two doors down from Five Guys this week, and it’ll be the perfect spot for lunch — esp know that I know this insider tip! TY!!

Of course you can continue to ask questions, that's the best way to learn. :) In general, I would say that the pin boards and books do tend to have the same pins as you will find on lanyards. And unfortunately, the same risk of scrappers/fakes (which are not the same thing, by the way) does apply.

But here's the thing about trading with CMs: the pins a CM is wearing aren't his/her own. Those pins 'belong to Mickey' and as such, that CM has to trade according to 'Mickey's rules.' Basically, a pin just has to be 'official,' meaning it has to have the Disney back stamp(s), and the CM can't already have that particular pin on his/her lanyard. That rule might get softened a little for trading from the pin boards and books. I believe, depending upon size of pin boards, CMs may or may not accept duplicate pins on a pin board. When trading from a book, generally, the pin you're trading just shouldn't be on that particular page.
It has been a while since I have traded in the parks and I don't know how strictly the CMs are enforcing these rules; they may be enforcing them strictly or not at all.

When it comes to scrappers/fakes (and this is one of the hard parts of pin trading), CMs have to accept them because, according to the limited rules, they meet the criteria for 'legit' Disney trading pins. The thing is, very few CMs know (or care) whether the pins actually are legit
because they aren't actually pin collectors/traders. They're just wearing and trading 'Mickey's pins.' You hand them a pin, they hand you a pin, you both go about your day. All they know about pins is that they're shiny pieces of metal with pointy backs attached that make otherwise intelligent people go stark staring bonkers. A few pin-knowledgable CMs will recognize a scrapper/fake pin and after accepting it in a trade, set it aside to be taken out of circulation (destroyed), but I'm finding that those CMs are few and far between. The best way to avoid scrappers/fakes is to educate yourself, try to avoid trading for them, and accept that no matter what, you're probably going to accidentally trade for a few anyway.

Interesting info, I wondered if the CMs had company pins or their own. Makes sense. They probably only needed to load up the lanyard once and now just trade all day, every day, and always have the same amount, no need to stock up with new ones. I’ll be extra careful (and it’ll probably take me until day 3 before I decide to actually do a single trade) (classic introvert). New-to-me info on not allowing dupes on their lanyards, good to know. Thank you for all of this!!

Y'all are crazy. Whataburger is also fresh meat and so much more of it. In and out has ok flavor, but I hate that I have to get a 3x3. It's kinda be if crazy that people think a 2oz patty is ok. That's 1/8 lb. even McDonalds has fresh 1/4lb burger now. Lol. I wish I could post the little old lady asking... Where is the beef??

Interesting info, I wondered if the CMs had company pins or their own. Makes sense. They probably only needed to load up the lanyard once and now just trade all day, every day, and always have the same amount, no need to stock up with new ones. I’ll be extra careful (and it’ll probably take me until day 3 before I decide to actually do a single trade) (classic introvert). New-to-me info on not allowing dupes on their lanyards, good to know. Thank you for all of this!!
You're so welcome. CMs are very friendly and easy to talk to. Just go up and politely ask to see their pins. If you see something you like, make the trade. If not, politely decline. They don't own the pins and they won't take offense one way or the other. But it's all about the most important thing: having fun. Pins are supposed to be fun and make you happy: never forget that. :)

What about Buc-ees? Will trade Buc-ees for Pins. I think you’re in need of some Beaver Nuggets and some Texas Pecan Coffee Grinds From HEB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all are crazy. Whataburger is also fresh meat and so much more of it. In and out has ok flavor, but I hate that I have to get a 3x3. It's kinda be if crazy that people think a 2oz patty is ok. That's 1/8 lb. even McDonalds has fresh 1/4lb burger now. Lol. I wish I could post the little old lady asking... Where is the beef??

Why do you hate ordering a 3x3? It’s the same price as the Whataburger but it’s actually fresh quality ingredients and tastes good unlike Whataburger.

Seriously though I’ll have Culver’s, Five Guys or Freddy’s before I eat Whataburger. The only reason worth going to Whataburger is for a Pattymelt. Whataburger is “what a burger” shouldn’t be.

Because I would rather have one pattie that is not a thin little joke. Also even though people seem to never read this.... Whataburger is fresh and always has been. They were first to use a 5 inch bun and they have always used fresh meat.

I have never had culvers. But those other burgers are just like snacks with lots of veggies. They need to not be afraid to give us a little meat on that burger. Lol.
wendys-wheres-the-beef.jpg

All these Texans! I love it! I don't know if it's been posted yet (I havent been on the forum for a while) but there is a pin trading weekend in Dallas (actually Plano) September 28-29. Let me find the info and if its not there I will post the info under meetups. My sister and I are driving up from San Antonio area and hope to se yall there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back