• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Are Marvel pins considered Disney pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Marvel pins considered Disney pins?

PinFan

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I got some Marvel pins from the Marvel booth at the San Diego Comic-Con last week. I would like to sell or trade some of the extras and was wondering if they are considered Disney pins since Disney now owns Marvel. Can I list them on the DPF Sale or Trade boards?

Do they have the disney© on the back and do they say official pin trading on the back?

I would second this. As Disney owns Marvel, they are technically Disney pins. However, they may not be "Official Disney Trading" pins, which can limit your options for trading them unfortunately. ): (But I think that your odds are good as a "yes" for using them as a trader, so long as they have been licensed by Disney and aren't fan-made.) (Then again, you can always post fan-made stuff in the "other" For Sale/Trade/Wanted thread!)

These are the Skottie Young pins that were sold at the Marvel booth. The have a Marvel copyright, but not a Disney copyright, so I guess that means that they cannot be listed here.

These are the Skottie Young pins that were sold at the Marvel booth. The have a Marvel copyright, but not a Disney copyright, so I guess that means that they cannot be listed here.
As long as you post in the Other section of the sales forum you should be fine . Amongst the rules it says you can post sales for non disney pins and other items as long as you make it clear in the description they don't have the © Disney , which you did in your post here .

I saw this post early this morning before heading to work, and I had some time to mull it over. I would say for the purpose of the trading/selling forums, unless they are specifically produced by Disney, no, they should be put in the "Other Items" sub forum, which handles non-pins and other pins than Disney.

These are cute pins, and I was thinking about them myself, but right now, this is a murky area, since they are not made by Disney and they are making characters that Disney may not have access to for pins, like the Spider characters, and the fact that Universal still markets a line of Marvel Pins from their parks

Weirdly, Pinpics used to have the rule that pins that were not official disney pin trading pins could be listed on there but not traded; but now all the Marvel Scottie Young pins are on there without the blocking-off of the trade/want buttons that exists on the fantasy pin listings.

When Disney bought Lucasfilms Ltd they recognized LFLTD pins as tradable in the parks. So I would assume Marvel pins would be too.

That is a valid point about Lucas and Star Wars, BUT when Disney acquired Marvel, they only got access to certain licenses for merchandising and films, i.e. the stuff Fox and Sony owns, like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. so going back to the original pins, while the Avengers styled ones might be recognized, I do not know if Disney would recognize any Spider pin or if they did any of the X-Titles

True... but Disney is producing Spider Man items (figures, Infinity, artwork) some of which is tradeable in the parks such as the vinylmations. Any franchise that isn't supported by Disney/Marvel are being starved of promotion/porducts. Marvel has even gone out of its way to stymie the studios other than Disney by even stopping some of their comic series (Fantastic Four). Disney/Sony came to an agreement with each other and now Spiderman will be in the Marvel Universe starting with the next Captain America film. It feels like Spiderman was the only IP that they felt would be included since there have yet to be ANY xmen/fantastic four figures/toys outside of lego/funko. Bottom line is Marvel/Disney is trying to dry out the other franchise with lack or merchandise to try and get them back into the Marvel fold. So I feel the Marvel pins fall under the umbrella until xmen/fantastic 4 show up.

I did speak to a booth worker at SDCC and they mentioned that a new set would be showing up at New York Comic Con in a few months. The success of the Star Wars pin from Celebration helped convince Marvel to approve the pin designs for SDCC as kind of a trial. With the success of their popularity he felt they will be full stream ahead for another set for New York. There are also another 40+ Star Wars pins that should be coming as well.

That is a valid point about Lucas and Star Wars, BUT when Disney acquired Marvel, they only got access to certain licenses for merchandising and films, i.e. the stuff Fox and Sony owns, like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. so going back to the original pins, while the Avengers styled ones might be recognized, I do not know if Disney would recognize any Spider pin or if they did any of the X-Titles

From my understanding, Disney/Marvel had negotiated for the merchandising rights to Spider-Man prior to the most recent deal to bring Spidey into the MCU. X-Men & FF are probably off-limits though (though in this particular case, I don't remember seeing either property represented in the Skiottie Young pins)

True... but Disney is producing Spider Man items (figures, Infinity, artwork) some of which is tradeable in the parks such as the vinylmations. Any franchise that isn't supported by Disney/Marvel are being starved of promotion/porducts. Marvel has even gone out of its way to stymie the studios other than Disney by even stopping some of their comic series (Fantastic Four). Disney/Sony came to an agreement with each other and now Spiderman will be in the Marvel Universe starting with the next Captain America film. It feels like Spiderman was the only IP that they felt would be included since there have yet to be ANY xmen/fantastic four figures/toys outside of lego/funko. Bottom line is Marvel/Disney is trying to dry out the other franchise with lack or merchandise to try and get them back into the Marvel fold. So I feel the Marvel pins fall under the umbrella until xmen/fantastic 4 show up.

I did speak to a booth worker at SDCC and they mentioned that a new set would be showing up at New York Comic Con in a few months. The success of the Star Wars pin from Celebration helped convince Marvel to approve the pin designs for SDCC as kind of a trial. With the success of their popularity he felt they will be full stream ahead for another set for New York. There are also another 40+ Star Wars pins that should be coming as well.

Hi!

th

LOL!!! Too funny. You win the internet. I messed up on Sunday and forgot to redeem my Game of Thrones voucher doh!! I figured it out half way home :(

Bummer! That's what ya get for ditching out early! :nono: It isn't too bad. A book, t-shirt, some card holder thing, a drawstring bag, and a pen light.

Last edited:
I would agree that anything without the © Disney should be placed in the "Other" section just to be safe, but I am sure that they would still make decent traders (just not for cast lanyards and such), as a lot of Disney collectors are into Marvel too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back