• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Collections and families

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collections and families

merida33

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering how your families (and friends) react to your collections. My honey has known I've been hanging around here an awful lot lately, and the response I got was "oh, god. You're not going to start collecting dolls are you?!? " He doesn't know yet about the few I have since they just don't fit in our teeny tiny space. I'm sure my friends will feel the same. No one I know collects anything really.

I like them. I love them really. Holding, touching, and just staring at them. Pretty sure its the result of having to grow up way too fast. I'm old enough to be myself and just do what I enjoy but his comment was a little disheartening.

So, how does your family feel? Do they tease you? Is your collection all over your home or just in "your" space?

Happy Wednesday! :)

My family's okay with my pin obsession. My mother and grandmother like my pins quite a bit, actually. It helps that I keep them "just in my space" - They're restricted to nice frames on my wall over my desk, or in my one pin trading album... I'm sure if I kept them in boxes all around the house, or if I were in debt because of them, they'd feel differently.

My friends, on the other hand, think I've gone off the deep end. :lol: They can't believe how much time, money, and energy I devote to shiny pieces of metal.

My brothers tease me but are glad that I have something I'm passionate about. My brothers are all into disney too so they get it. My mother is slightly into disney but nowhere like she used to be. she thinks i should sell my collection to make more money. It's hard to explain to her about how i feel about it but collecting these disney items is like collecting memories of a happier time. It''s like holding on to pieces of my childhood for a while longer. My best friends got me into it like i am now. We are very similar with interests of disney collections some of us even try to theme our rooms like disney movies. (mine is nightmare before christmas/timburton. and my other friends have rapunzels tower and pixie hollow.

I get what you said about growing up too fast. my collection is everywhere too my stuff does take up most of the storage space.

No one understands my pin collection. Every time I get a pin in the mail my brother says "really? Another pin?" My mother doesn't understand why I would spend any amount of money on pins.

All my other collections they are okay with. My sister shares my obsession with collecting princess dolls.

Yea my mother says l "think I'm a little girl" because I buy dolls, and that's silly to me, I don't play with my dolls.

Hahahaha! I already love this topic and look forward to reading more responses.
My dad...eh. Doesn't get it. He's just happy it's a healthy addiction. ;)
My mom, pretends to feel the same way my dad feels, but she loves seeing my latest doll as I take it out of the shipment box. Does she wish I didn't spend money on these? Yep. Does she appreciate the value these dolls have in my eyes? Oh you betcha. :D She hopes they make a Tinker Bell in this Heirloom Collection style.
My brothers, they sort of have gotten that, "wow...my brother is so gay" eye roll down to an art. It's perfect cause they can do it without actually having to do it. I love it. But, they do like to see the collection as it grows because they think that they are "pretty cool, actually".
My friends...they get me so they get this. Having theatre (or just theatrical in general) friends, they look at the dolls and the things that they like about them are the same things I like about them. Or, they even point out new things to me that I hadn't even noticed. Would they collect the dolls with me? Nope. They share the same thoughts as my mom when it comes to buying these 100$ dolls. Plus, I only collect the villains so the also serve as great conversation pieces...and also..."OH MY GOD! This is SO YOU!" statements. ;)
My extended family...I don't know if they have seen or know about them? It'd probably be mixed reactions and they would probably think I was crazy...unanimously. :facepalm:
When I start dating someone...I'm gonna have to brace my boyfriend before he sees them instead of just sensory overloading him. (With their big boxes, it does kinda make them look kinda overwhelming!) ;)

Last edited:
I got the doll collecting gene from my mom but I probably have equal or more than her by now even though she had much more of a head start :lol: but I've been collecting pins casually for years on trips to Disney parks and just within the past couple years or so have my collections exploded.

I got my bf into pin collecting and he is well on his way now to be a full Disney collector, he doesn't quite understand the doll collection but he has quite an extensive football merchandise collection so we don't judge :p Our future house is going to be jam packed full of stuff for our collections.

OMG Where has this thread been all my life? LOL I have an insane doll collection but due to my nephew desiring to style hair. We got called names sometimes and often into feuds but it all works out in the end. We plan on eventually giving all our dolls individually so it can be like they went their separate ways but not for a VERY long time. Our dolls are everywhere often nude LMAO but due to mix and matching of fashions.

Haha I love this! i'm actually so happy there are others that love collecting Disney dolls/stuff as much as I do.
I've loved Disney since I was young, but I never got into it as much until I bought Todd and Copper from the Disney store
and away we went, I couldn't stop from there.
My boyfriend at the time kinda brushed it aside, he didn't really care. We would go thrift shopping and if I found a Disney plush that needed
to come home with me he would buy it for me. He also bought me the Limited Edition Rapunzel doll but, when it came in and I was so excited
he just went "Mhm.."
My mom loves the dolls, she loves it when the dolls come in. I hated dolls when I was young so seeing me just light up when I have them makes her happy.
But, my obsession with Disney stuff shes just happy it isn't screamo bands like middle school when I was in phases.
My brother is 10 so, he goes to stores saying "Oh Ashley would love that!!"
My friends think i'm strange, friends I tell from high school are like "Oh.. okaaay.." but, I could care less. If someone comes into my room
they enjoy looking at all my Disney items so really.. XD

I was never so much "in your face" with my stuff.

My first ex hated it, and everytime I would get something new, he'd be rolling his eyes saying: more of that crap ??
My second ex was really nice about it, he understood what it meant to me, and once in a while, he'd come home with a Lion King card, or some figurines he got from the gadget store.
My current boyfriend doesn't really care, haha.

All my stuff is away in boxes, once this house will be fixed, and all my furniture can be put inside, I will display some things, but not much. My boyfriend doesn't want it to be "cluttered" lol.

My parents know, and my mom sometimes gets me a coloring book when she sees one, hehe.
Others don't really understand, apart from 1 nephew of mine, but he is a therapist, so he knows why this collection is good for me.
To those who don't understand, I really don't care. Everyone has got at least 1 thing they are crazy about, and I don't judge them over it eather, so I don't care what they say about me. I have to live with it, not them.

This is a great topic, thanks so much for starting it.

I for one don't necessarily collect dolls but I love collecting items that are rare or limited in number and I have always been a huge fan of Disney. When I found out about the dolls I thought they were amazing and loved that they were numbered. My partner has been super supportive and is even going to the expo with me and waiting in line with me, he even helped me get Ariel. We have a pretty good deal, im supportive of him and his car collection and he is supportive of me and my Disney collection as long as i dont spend more than i can afford. My parents have no idea but then again live with my partner and we are in a different country so they leave me alone with my business.

in terms of friends not very many of them come to our house and the dolls are all displayed in one room so unless I know that they will be interested in them I just don't other showing them the room. The funny thing is most of them wouldn't expect me to collect things such as dolls but really I see myself more as a Disney collector but due to the size of the dolls they tend to take up more space hence are generally more visible. It was sort of embarrassing because I had the dolls delivered to my work and one time I was out of the office and my boss saw the box (which was pretty big) on my desk so read it to see what was inside, unfortunately the description in the invoice said Snow White doll and because of that my boss never let it up and gave me a hard time about it, especially since I'm a pretty masculine sorta guy that keeps fit and plays sports so thought it was pretty strange for me to be getting a Snow White doll, either way depending on what he interpreted doll to be it would have resulted in him thinking that its pretty 'girly' of me to have bought a doll or well that the doll was a different kind of doll especially since it came in such a big box so wouldn't have been good either way and can understand why he gave me hard time about it. But I just laughed it off and said it was for my niece or present for a friend lol.

But long story short I guess I only share it with close friends that I know would understand my collection and not find it weird that a guy in his mid 20s is buying dolls. But like I said I don't usually collect dolls but because it is Disney I'm willing to make the exception.

Last edited:
My husband is very supportive of my collections, which is just as well as it has almost taken over our entire house ;) !! ... My family are all pretty good about it too, and generally end up buying me more dolls and Disney items for my birthdays and Christmas etc. They all accept that I am a BIG kid at heart and love toys though, but theres no shame in that, to be honest I would much rather be a big kid than a boring grown-up anyway hehehe :)

So, what I'm seeing here everyone, except Merrienne's family, thinks we're crazy.

It's a relief knowing I'm not alone in this!! :D

My family thinks I waste my money on the dolls I buy. However they know it makes me happy so they're very supportive. I'm sure behind my back they make their comments, but that doesn't bother me. I am very proud of every Disney thing I own and that's what matters most. I'm not ashamed to tell people I collect Disney dolls or everything Disney simply because it's something I'm not embarrassed or ashamed to do.

I don't have a large amount of friends, but the ones I do have love coming to my room to look at my collection. They too are supportive of it and even text me when they go to the Disney Store. Everyone who knows me, whether that's at work or at home, knows Disney means everything to me and they know how much I love it. I talk about it almost everyday and always have something Disney on me, whether that's my Disney Princess lanyard to my keys or a phone case.

People think I'm crazy a lot, but at the same time respect how proud I am of everything Disney so they become interested.

I am not 100% sure what my partner thinks. He's never rolled his eyes or made any smart remarks, however that IS NOT in his nature to do so. He has never said anything to me about my Disney Room.He even put together, helped select and helped purchase the shelves for the room. He never says anything when a package arrives from ebay or DS.com..he just hands it to me if I'm home or its waiting for me on the kitchen counter when I get home. He even goes once a year to WDW or DL with me and has fun (I Think???) It's the smallest guest room, no one has ever slept in there..however there is a bed complete with Mickey comforter and pillows. Everything is neat, dusted and organized and pretty much confined to the one room. My mother would, if she were to have ever had seen it..would have rolled her eyes and said "that ridiculous", my dad would think its silly but never really say anything bad. My friends are split..some think its a cool collection/room. One friend said it's "sick" (OUCH!) BUT she buys me stuff for it all the time. She found me a large Jim Shore Mickey Statue at a yard sale for like $10..which retailed for well over $50. I think as long as the Disney stuff stays in one room, plus I have a Mickey Mouse guest bath, and it's organized and clean he is ok with it..and the bills are paid.

My sister loves my dolls, and wants ME to buy them for HER - as in I spend THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on her with getting nothing in return. And I mean, she wants me to buy her the LE Snow White, the LE Merida, the LE Cinderella, and the new LE Ariel....I just stare at her. She's a dental assistant making good money! She can cut back on some thing like I have to and buy them herself! XD

My mom thinks I'm nuts...not collecting them, but going back and getting the ones that cost $200-$300, that I had missed previously and I don't know how my dad feels. I do know he doesn't know how much I've spent on my LE and Designer Dolls collection.

Yea my mother says l "think I'm a little girl" because I buy dolls, and that's silly to me, I don't play with my dolls.

I occasionally play with my dolls. I'm not a little girl. At one time I was embarrassed but as I got older it was like, yeah who cares what other people think. Luckily my family and friends have long accepted my so called eccentricities.

I'm in Construction Finnish Carpenter..my wife loves disney and yes so do I. Her job does not give her the Freedom to go to stores or be up at Midnight for dolls releases..so I do the hard work. Well not really its a game to me. See she gets the dolls and I get the game part. That I love to do the hunt ..being up at Midnight or being at a Disney store at 5 AM in the morning for new releases..we have to little ones that love looking at are Collections. Yes the guys that work for me know what are hobby is.no they don't Dare crack jokes to my face..knowing I will give them a bathroom duty. Yes are family and friends love see the new stuff we have. I made custom Cabinets for are Collections..I love it it's a family Activity..plus the wife can't say no if I see Sports Cards that I like..green light to buy.

For anyone who feels sheepish about their dolls :

I'm not crazy about dolls myself - just not my thing, but I do have quite a few stuffed animals, and I totally still play with them now and then... I even take them out with me sometimes.

My best friend, who has been my best friend since we were little girls, also collects -and plays with - her plushes. (We are both big fans of Build-a-Bear.)

I even have a small Mickey plush and a tiny Duffy that I take with me to Disneyland. My favorite thing is getting pictures of them posed in cute locations throughout the park. The Duffy is actually a keychain, so he goes wherever I go - 24/7.

I get weird looks sometimes, but I just ignore them. Mostly I think I make people smile. :)

(I'm 28.)

I have always been a Disney addict! I mainly focus on the villains but every now and then I splurge on a princess item or two. My main collection use to be just mugs,figurines and music boxes. I have always loved stuffed animals and plushies, I have only recently started getting into dolls. It started when I saw the LE Lady Tremaine doll on here back in October. I don't even remember how I came across it but it was the night before she went online for sale and I got so excited. I've always loved Tremaine but she rarely gets attention so I was really stoked. I stayed up till 1 am and was upset that she never showed up online so I went to bed haha. I woke up at 7 later that morning and went online and saw her and ordered her. Then the rest is history haha.

I had been eyeing the Designer villain dolls and when they went on sale for Black Friday I told my mom those are what I wanted for Christmas haha. She said I could get 2 so I ordered the Evil Queen and Mother Gothel. I totally would have got Maleficent but she was sold out at the time. In the mean time I had been looking into the other 17 inch LE dolls and fell in love with the Gothel doll. I managed to snag her at a good price on Ebay and she arrived Christmas Eve and I got my two designer villains Christmas morning. Santa was good to me :D

Then I ordered the Ursula, Queen of Hearts and Cruella Designer dolls in February when they were all on sale. I was really itching to get the Maleficent doll to complete my collection and I found one on eBay for a good price and got her for myself for my birthday in May. She arrived 3 days before my bday. I also have all the villain classic dolls the Disney store has released. I have a few of the princess animator toddler dolls. And I ordered LE Ariel. So my collection is growing woohoooo!

My mom was kind of annoying at first about it. But she thinks it's cool now and says "At least you only collect the villains." Little does she know....
My dad doesn't talk about them but he secretly loves them.
My one brother doesn't say much and my other thinks they're cool as collectible items. He says they'll be worth a lot of money one day....
My sister loves them and has started her own collection.
My other family members either don't know or don't really care.
My friends all think it's awesome and love looking at them.

Oh Geez, Your Not Alone haha, Im 17 and a... Boy (No Offense to other males,theres nothing wrong with it of course, i just mean that im not exactly an adult yet), haha so it's been kind of hard, But By Now, My Family has Accepted it, and Yes of course i still get the occasional "you Need to Stop Buying Dolls" and "Why Do You Even Like Dolls?" bUt they know that i Wont Stop, I Just Wish they Understood That each Doll to Me is Very Special, and this might sound weird, but their honestly a Huge Amount of Happiness in My Life(if that makes any sense), i Mean, Come on you guys :) With each little item in our collection of anykind (For Me Dolls), we hold a memory that we will never forget just by looking at that one item, each doll i have, i remember exactly how i got the doll, or who got it for me,where i found the doll, and who i was with, or who helped me purchase the doll. And I Honestly love that. Yeah its Sad that im Going to be A Senior in High School And i'd Rather Buy New Dolls THis Summer Instead of New Clothes, But at the end of the day, im Really Happy and i really just don't care, I'd Rather have a Doll That Could Last me Forever if i take good Care of it, than a pair of Shoes That will be Hideous By My Second Semester....lol, that is just me though, My Family Considers me The "Weird" one, But They Say That That is Why They Love me. I Always Have Loved Dolls, But i Sometimes Feel Like the Reason Why i Am Soooooo Into them Now That im older and i Don't Care about hiding my love for them is because as a child my father did not allow what so ever for me to have a doll, i remember he hit me atleast three different times while growing up with a belt because of dolls. i Remember when he snapped my "MYSCENE" Dolls infront of me and i burst out crying, then he hit me with a fly swatter handle (it was made out of wire) :(
The last time he caught me was in third grade, but even after that i'd have some brat dolls, Hannah Montana Dolls, And now i have A TON of Barbies,Bratz, Disney Dolls,And Around 60 Monster high dolls. The Sad thing though is that i still have them hidden in my closet & underneath my bed in boxes :(
All my family knows other than him, Well, i guess he does now, because just on monday he stopped by my sisters house (where i've been staying all summer) and i had my Ariel and Snow White dolls out on my dresser that had just came in the mail from the disney store, and while i was at summer school, i guess him and his friend went into my room to fix some problem with the air conditioning and HE SAW THEM! oh gosh, when i found out i flipped, and just yesterday i went home to visit and he didn't really say anything, i guess now that im gunna be 18 in november, im sure he understands that there is nothing he can do to stop me, im old enough to make my own decisions. So I guess it's all good now, but i do understand that i have to stop spending each dollar i get on dolls. it's not healthy lol. now that i'm going to get a car, i plan to get a job, and with each pay check i get, i plan to treat myself with a doll or two, do any of you guys ever do that? :)
Dang, Sorry i Wrote Alot, but i Understand all of you, thats why i LOVE this forum because i know that im not alone and that im not just some crazy kid who loves dolls, so THANK YOU ALL :)
YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL-Jesse

Last edited:
OMG Where has this thread been all my life? LOL I have an insane doll collection but due to my nephew desiring to style hair. We got called names sometimes and often into feuds but it all works out in the end. We plan on eventually giving all our dolls individually so it can be like they went their separate ways but not for a VERY long time. Our dolls are everywhere often nude LMAO but due to mix and matching of fashions.

i Understand :/
My nephew is 3 years old, and when he see's me with one of my dolls, he starts liking them, then my brother in law gets him in trouble, and i am pretty sure he gets upset with me even though he has no problem with me and my dolls (my brother in law)....nd it stinks because i feel terrible when i have to tell my nephew not to play with dolls or like them, because it's like, so hypocritical. and i just look like the worst....but i have to do it or else my brpther in law will get mad and also becuse im afraid of my nephew being just like "me", and then me getting blamed for it later on.....idk, its so confusing and i just hate it...

Last edited:
I'm just wondering how your families (and friends) react to your collections. My honey has known I've been hanging around here an awful lot lately, and the response I got was "oh, god. You're not going to start collecting dolls are you?!? " He doesn't know yet about the few I have since they just don't fit in our teeny tiny space. I'm sure my friends will feel the same. No one I know collects anything really.

I like them. I love them really. Holding, touching, and just staring at them. Pretty sure its the result of having to grow up way too fast. I'm old enough to be myself and just do what I enjoy but his comment was a little disheartening.

So, how does your family feel? Do they tease you? Is your collection all over your home or just in "your" space?

Happy Wednesday! :)

Im Sorry that Your Spouse Seems Like he Might not understand, but maybe after a while he'll get over it as long as you don't go overboard money wise and don't make him feel cluttered :)
I Wish you the best merida33
i know how you feel though, but if it makes you happy then do it and im sure that once your spouse see's how happy it makes you he won't mind it :)
Thank you For Starting this Thread, i Am Really Enjoyng it :)

Last edited:
^ I'm sorry to hear about your father janguiano that's awful )-: And your poor nephew. I don't understand why people have to put a gender on toys. So what if a boy likes to play with dolls or a girl likes to play with trucks? When you are little you don't think like that and just want to have fun and it's a shame some parents wont let their little ones enjoy themselves with the toys they want to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back