• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Collections and families

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collections and families
^ I'm sorry to hear about your father janguiano that's awful )-: And your poor nephew. I don't understand why people have to put a gender on toys. So what if a boy likes to play with dolls or a girl likes to play with trucks? When you are little you don't think like that and just want to have fun and it's a shame some parents wont let their little ones enjoy themselves with the toys they want to play with.

Thanks LordTremaine, I Appreciate it...
Im The same way, i Just Don't Understand it :/
Your Right, They Just Want to have Fun, I Could'nt Agree More

My family doesn't really understand. They act like they support me, but they are always judging me. I collect various toys and dolls, LE Disney dolls, Monster High, and Asian Ball Jointed dolls (very large and somewhat creepy to some). My mother is the "most supportive," but she tells me to stop constantly. She always says "You don't need them ALL," or "Its alright if you don't get that one, there will be another one,". We got in a huge fight over me ordering my fifth BJD, even though it was bought entirely with my own money (this was before my car broke down...of course!!). She just doesn't understand the concept of collecting. That it is a game, a hunt for more. You're really not ever done, so long as new product keeps coming out. And I am a completist. So if I have four designer dolls, I am not going to stop until I get them all. Otherwise, my collection is incomplete and makes me angry lol. She buys me a new shelf every now and again, which I am extremely thankful for, but she does so very reluctantly. She makes snide comments and remarks that always hurt my feelings.

The rest of the family drive me bonkers though. They make awful remarks behind my back. They constantly ask me what stuff is worth, which makes me nervous. They say that I need to grow up, that I'm childish, etc. Even though I am more mature than my cousin of the same age by a landslide.

And then my "friends" (not my friends any more), where always the worst. They would say I was a "selfish spoiled b*tch," and that I got everything I wanted all the time. Sure, I did get everything I wanted, but because I worked hard for it. I worked many hours, getting sexually harassed at work, so I could afford dolls. I went through hell, thinking that is what I had to do, thinking it was "normal,". Eventually I got out of course. But I still did it. It always hurts me when they say such things, when I went through that. My mom rarely ever buys me collectibles; only on Christmas and even then still not too many. These "friends" of mine were jealous and said cruel things out of spite, but it really does cut deep sometimes.

I'm ok, I'm pretty weird and personalise everything I can. when you arrive to work with a Hercules lunchbox and jacket its hard to hide xD My family is very accepting, my parents help me put up shelves and listen to me talk about release dates and greek mythology as there eyes glaze over. I'm just unapologetic about what I love and don't let people criticize it. My family even look out for merchandise for me and Rapunzel for Hollie and my two best friends I met from here, so we can all talk about Disney.

My paresnts think I'm too old for anything disney appart from the dvd's. Now I've gotten into pins they think I'm crazy, I've decided to collect Jessica pins and they think that's silly as I've never been a fan of her before. They don't understand that I've fallen in love with her pins. They also always say to me 1 is enough (they don't get the collecting bit) I also love the chase and looking for something as its amazing when you have it in your hands. Now though I tend not to show them what I buy.

My fiance couldn't be any more supportive, I'm so lucky!!! He collects things himself and there has been plenty of days we have gone out and spent the whole time looking for stuff to add to our collections. We both collect wwe merch too (althouh I only collect dvia bits) and its fun to watch our collection grow. He also buys me disney things for birthdays etc and never laughs if I neeeeeeed such and such.

Now we have a baby we have had to stop spending so much on our collections but its worth it. We've even incoperated her into them, I've got her some special pins (march birthstone etc) and he bought her some wwe bibs and creepers :)

My husband thinks I am silly but he knows I have a Disney obsession and it doesn't really bother him. He does make fun of me though when I say I am buying a doll for our daughter (who is 2). He is like yeah sure it is for her lol, which he probably has a point. My mom used to buy me the holiday Barbies every Christmas (she still has them all) so although she doesn't really know about my collection she would probably understand. I also collect the limited edition costumes that the Disney Store puts out, which both our families think is silly since she is still too small to wear them but she will fit into them eventually! I think generally it is hard for a non-collector to understand the completionist mentality that collectors have and even moreso why we are willing to part with so much hard earned money for "stuff." To each his own though ;)

Lumee23 - that's just like my husband. Doesn't really get it but sees I'm enjoying it so as long as I don't break the bank is ok with it. He's even tried to help me get some of the releases. I've also tried to use my 6 month old daughter as an excuse :p I've actually gotten my mom back into doll collecting with all this. She used to get me to collect Muffy bears and Ginny dolls as a kid so she gets it.

i Understand :/
My nephew is 3 years old, and when he see's me with one of my dolls, he starts liking them, then my brother in law gets him in trouble, and i am pretty sure he gets upset with me even though he has no problem with me and my dolls (my brother in law)....nd it stinks because i feel terrible when i have to tell my nephew not to play with dolls or like them, because it's like, so hypocritical. and i just look like the worst....but i have to do it or else my brpther in law will get mad and also becuse im afraid of my nephew being just like "me", and then me getting blamed for it later on.....idk, its so confusing and i just hate it...

That's really a shame, I hope one day your and your nephews family realize that collecting dolls is harmless. Growing up with Norwegian parents, they never cared what we played with. My brother LOVED playing Pretty Pretty Princess, occasionally he'd join my cousin and I with Barbies, and I always wanted to play with LEGO's and their toy cars. One year for Halloween I was even the Red Power Ranger.

Also, I don't see what's so different about guys collecting dolls verses collecting Action figures. I just fail to see how one is deem unacceptable while the other is completely fine. Only difference is rooted hair.

----------------------

I was lucky enough for my whole family to be Disney fanatics. My mom understands my doll collecting, and actually loves the 17" dolls as much as I do. My brother is going to the mall with me on Tuesday in order to try and get one of the Designer Fairytale Snow Whites! :)

I've been extremely lucky with parents that are supportive of my doll collecting. I've been into them and Disney since I was a little girl and I remember mom would search for months in advance for the one doll I wanted under the Christmas tree. Granted, she'd be reasonable and not spend over $30 EVER for a single doll, but still. When I got into Monster High, both my parents would keep an eye out for them on their late-night grocery runs to Walmart and always call and ask if something seemed new. And with the 17" Ariel and Fairytale Designer dolls, they were/are willing to go try and win one while I'm in class. There have been times when mom has said I'll probably eventually grow out of dolls like MH and such, but she's fine with it. As she says, she'd rather me be into dolls than boys, drinking, and other things - a safe hobby is what she calls it. XD

With friends I don't hide my love of Disney and dolls, but I don't advertise the doll collecting either. I figure it's best to get to know people first and then introduce them to what some call "quirks" (aka the things that make life interesting). Once someone comes in my room though, there's no missing the huge glass jewelry display case full of Monster High dolls and Disney dolls above it. And by not hiding my love of it all, I've found friends who have some of the same interests and/or tolerate them. Haha, even if I'm with a friend at the mall, I'll always take a quick detour to the Disney Store to take a peek. As I said, I don't hide it. XD

OMG!!!! It is awesome to read these posts. Collecting is kind into my family, but each of us have a different passion about. My dad loves Star Trek, my brother and husband are into specifics anime figures, and my sister loves manga. Therefore, my family is pretty crazy, but it good that each of us understand our madness towards our obsessions. It is cute when my dad calls me asking if I got the dolls that I wanted. Actually, he bought the Fairytale for a friend in another country, but he told if for any reason I missed what I want, he would give it to me. The only bad thing in my situation is that I had two daughters a baby and a 7 years old (who loves my collection by the way!!!), and my husband is in the Army, so we share same money, and we have to decide early on what we would spend on the specific month. In fact, he is being pretty good, but he complains all the time for so many limited edition coming out at the same time.

Wow, some people have such supportive families! I'm not sure about my family since they don't know about most of it. I keep things hidden away in my room. They're vaguely aware of my pins but I don't show them when new ones arrive because Mum rolls her eyes and Dad just asks "Why?". I'm sure they're used to my collecting habit though since I've been collecting various things for years. My Dad does still occasionally buy me a kinder egg as he knows I like the toys. My sister thinks I am pathetically childish though. With my friends, most of them don't know that much about it although I do mention when I get something new if I'm particularly excited about it. Since I only have about three really close friends, those three do know about it and are supportive when I want to show them my stuff and ramble on about it. They all love Disney too so if we're out shopping, a detour to Disney store is never complained about!

As for my other half, well, he doesn't mind at all. He'll listen when I ramble on about things, he'll look when I want to show him everything and he doesn't mind how many things I buy as long as I can afford them. In fact, he encourages it, because I hardly ever buy myself things so he likes getting me to treat myself. He even buys little things for me, like the Monster Minis I am currently trying to complete a collection of.

I think that's all we ever need, really, for one person to be supportive. It sucks when parents or siblings or friends are mean about our collections but as long as you have someone to turn to, even if it's here on DPF, then that's all you need. We can geek out with each other in a safe environment here. Three cheers for DPF! :p

Last edited:
We've been collecting things all our lives, so just about everyone around us doesn't mind or already knows. I (Matt) always collected action figures, comics, and as a kid, buttons and pins. My girlfriend Erika collected books and Harry Potter Legos. When we started dating, the collecting REALLY blew up because of our combined interests. Now our collections consist of various Lego sets, Disney Comics, Fancy expensive Barbies, Monster High Dolls, Disney Pins, Disney Comics, and whatever else Disney we can get our hands on :)

The only thing friends/family have a hard time understanding is when we do our long waits or 4 AM trips to the Disney Soda Fountain in Hollywood to try and grab special pins...we've gotten a few looks about that before. Hahaha.

My mother would be the worlds biggest hypocrite if she complained about my Disney collection. I got into collecting because of her. I only collect the princesses, mostly Ariel, Merida, Snow White, and Rapunzel. I really love the Jim Shore figurines but have not been able to collect as many as I would like. Now that I have a job, I can actually buy them. :lol: That being said, my parents are supportive of my Disney obsession. My mom likes it more than my dad. My mom currently just collects the Jim Shore figurines but has many collectibles she collected over the years.

My friends are rather supportive. Whenever they come over, they look at my new Disney merch. My friend even went to Sephora to buy some of the merch for me. :lol: None of my friends judge me since they spend a lot of money on things they are passionate about.

When my Ariel came I had to come clean since the shipping label was on the outside of the box. Way to sell me out Disney! Anyway his response was "I don't know why you were embarrassed to tell me that. I don't care." I reminded him of his "oh, god you're not going to start collecting dolls" comment and he denies it ever happened. At least it's out in the open now, not how many I have just yet, but he knows the exist. :D

My mom and I used to collect Monster High together. When she passed away it became just me with the doll obsession in the house. My dad doesn't care too much though. He doesn't get it, but I think I amuse him when I show him another doll I've gotten. He always gets this silly smile on his face. LOL
I told him I was up at midnight to get Eric and Ursula and he just shook his head.

I'm 24 and had to quit college when my mom died to help the family business, so he really doesn't get to say much about what keeps me happy. When my Ariel doll arrived I flipped! And he just laughed.
I'm trying to get my younger sister interested, but I don't think she really wants to. But, I hope she doesn't regret it when she misses out on Aurora, her favorite princess. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back