• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

D23 Expo....To go or not to go.....that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D23 Expo....To go or not to go.....that is the question.

Jamie

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever been to a D23 expo? Did you enjoy it? Would you go again? I want to go as I want some of the merchandise that will be sold there, but I just wonder if the cost of plane tickets, hotel and tickets make it worth it to go, or I should just try my luck on eBay afterwards. I have read some awful reviews, about standing in lines, people cutting in lines, no organization, etc. What do you all think?

No question. Go. ;) I'm a charter member. I've been to both expos so far and I'm most definitely excited about this one. Yes, there are long lines. But for me personally, if I go in with the mentality that I will be in long lines, somehow it doesn't seem so bad. lol I do expect this expo to be bigger and busier than the past two (mainly because more people are aware of it now...), but in my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons.

First off, I've never been to the Expo but I'll be going this year but I'm about 10 minutes away. :) So having said that, I'm not sure where you'd be flying from but if you're MAIN reason to go to the Expo is to buy merchandise, I'd say forget it.

However, if you're planning on maximizing your time at the Expo, spending a good amount of time enjoying the parks, and maybe even making a trip to DSF for a possible release, then maybe it's worth your time and your money to come and make a real vacation out of it. I didn't attend last years Pin Event at WDW and I was able to get all the pins I wanted and it ended up being SO MUCH cheaper than paying for a round-trip flight, hotel, meals, etc, etc. If you go, you're definitely paying for the "experience" and the merchandise is an added bonus.

And I'm just guessing here but I think it's safe to say the parks will probably be UBER-PACKED that week/weekend which is never fun.

Someone here on DPF was selling their tickets for D23 and I thought it was a great price. Not sure if they're still available tho'.

If you're local, it's probably/definitely worth checking out.

I'm debating to go or not as well. :/ is it worth the price?- is what I'd like to ask
Well, I guess like Mike was saying, it really comes down to what you would be going for. Because I am an all-around Disney geek, I love just about everything I can see and do there. My favorite things about past expos: Meeting Disney animators, directors, producers, etc. Seeing early footage from upcoming films (at the first expo we got to see a huge portion of Princess and the Frog months before the release). Surprise guest appearances (Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow anyone?). Exclusive merchandise. Drooling over upcoming merchandise. Being surrounded by Disney fans (<--I attended both expos solo, but I was quite comfortable with the company ;) )

I'd be going for the merchandise mostly, but I think the presentations and stuff seem interesting. But if I'm going for the dolls and the pins, what is the likelyhood I'd really get them? And would I really enjoy the rest of the D23 expo or probably spend most of my time in line for those items? I just really want them, I just dont want to be disappointed and spend all that money getting there, and not getting what I want.

If for the merch only, I'd turn to eBay. In fact, that's what I'm doing. I worked out the costs, and decided to go to Disney World (Florida) in the fall, when the crowds and prices will be a lot better. I'll use the "savings" on eBay trying to catch my top choice dolls. That's a REALLY expensive weekend to travel to Cali. Yep, the hotels and airlines charge a premium because of D23. I'm in Canada, though, which makes a difference.

I know exactly how you feel as I am coming all the way from Aust so flights are not cheap let me tell you. LOL

I think if you are having doubts about it then it probably is not a good idea to go, because to be honest if you were to go there with the mentality you seem to have at the moment (I.e is it worth going, there will be long lines, just there for the merch etc) then you probably won't enjoy it.

At the end of the day it really comes down to how much you really want to go. If you have a seed if doubt in your mind I don't think it would be a good idea as you might end up just regretting it. Then again you could have the opposite effect and be grateful you decided to go. Maybe you could make a trip of it as well I have my partner and a friend of mine coming along as well so we are going to also so the Disneyland thing as well as see the rest of LA as it is my friend's first time there so it is sort of a mini holiday for me too. That way even if you didn't get the most out of the expo you can still get the most out of your trip.

Convinced the bf to take me!!
any advice which day to go ?
Do products change ? (Meaning if I go last day will it be the same stuff offered before then?)
sorry for the dumb questions

If you're going for the limited, D23-exclusive merch, go the first day or save your money for eBay. Scalpers are well aware of these items and will be there on day 1.

I know exactly how you feel as I am coming all the way from Aust so flights are not cheap let me tell you. LOL

I think if you are having doubts about it then it probably is not a good idea to go, because to be honest if you were to go there with the mentality you seem to have at the moment (I.e is it worth going, there will be long lines, just there for the merch etc) then you probably won't enjoy it.

At the end of the day it really comes down to how much you really want to go. If you have a seed if doubt in your mind I don't think it would be a good idea as you might end up just regretting it. Then again you could have the opposite effect and be grateful you decided to go. Maybe you could make a trip of it as well I have my partner and a friend of mine coming along as well so we are going to also so the Disneyland thing as well as see the rest of LA as it is my friend's first time there so it is sort of a mini holiday for me too. That way even if you didn't get the most out of the expo you can still get the most out of your trip.

Its not that I don't want to go, I actually think it seems like fun. It's just I've never been and have heard really bad reviews on it, so I just wanted to see what you all think about going. It's seems as that most people that go, are ones that live close enough, so the transportation cost, ect aren't as big of a deal. If I go, it will be only to go to the expo I wouldn't go to the parks and stuff, as we are going back in October for vacation with my little one. This would be strictly a 3 day trip. Although, I know there is a Cheesecake Factory close by and in n out, so that's almost worth it all by itself! Lol!

Yeah that is a fair point, I had no idea that you had another holiday already planned for October. I think if you are just going for merchandise then unless it is for anything D23 exclusive then it is not worthwhile as you can eventually get it all online. But if you do have the extra funds and can afford to go, then why not. I would imagine that there would a lot of people travelling from all over the US and the world just to go to this expo so it will be be pretty packed but I don't think it will be as bad due to Disney expanding it and also will regulate things more due to past complaints etc. Surely it would be safe to assume that disney would have learned from past mistakes.

I wish we had a Cheesecake Factory here, sadly most people in Australia only know it as the place where The girl from Big Bang theory works. I love the food there though, always have and always make an effort to visit one whenever I'm in the US haha.

Someone here on DPF was selling their tickets for D23 and I thought it was a great price. Not sure if they're still available tho'.

If you're local, it's probably/definitely worth checking out.

I didn't know people could re-sell tickets, i got 2 tickets but i decided not to go i will contact them to make sure i can pass to someone else, don't mind re-sell them for cheap.

Convinced the bf to take me!!
any advice which day to go ?
Do products change ? (Meaning if I go last day will it be the same stuff offered before then?)
sorry for the dumb questions
For the best chance at merchandise I would go Friday. As long as the merchandise doesn't sell out it will be offered everyday. There is also a chance that merchandise will be staggered with a new pin or vinylmation released each day but nothing is pointing to that right now. As of right now everything should be released on Friday. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I would say if you have any interest in Disney, then go. There is plenty of stuff on the show floor to see if you do not get into the panels. For me I love the experience of it too.

We are going to the Expo onmthe Friday. To get to see the Opening Panel, how early will we need to join the line and do we have any chance if we are not D23 members?

We are going to the Expo onmthe Friday. To get to see the Opening Panel, how early will we need to join the line and do we have any chance if we are not D23 members?
This year there will be a separate Arena line that will open at 8. As of right now it is both a D23 member and regular guest line. I would say to be there at 8 or a little before, but I am not exactly sure how the lines will work as they have a different setup this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back