• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do you list your "Grails" in your PinPics collection, and if so, where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you list your "Grails" in your PinPics collection, and if so, where?

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
I had an unusual situation come up this morning via e-mail

I had a pin trade offer out to someone and they accepted the next day, but before they accepted, someone came to me for my pin with a different trade, so I took that one offered to me instead of the one I offered.

Instead of writing off the first person, I used PinPics to see if we had any other pins in common to trade and we did, so I proposed a counter offer. This morning, they e-mailed me back and said

No, it's one of my holy grails and I haven't found anything I want for it

Now, to me, if it is one of my grails, it goes in my collection, not my tradables, as it is not available to trade no way no how. Would you list a grail in your tradables and if so, what would it take for you to actually trade it?

Id never list any of my grails in my trades list as Id say it defeats the point of it being a holy grail if you can so easily have it listed in your tradeables.

I

Not that's the question. I have my core collection then I have many Grails. I have 4 Pinpic ID's. One for each type of trade. Grail for Grail, my traders for my collection, pins that have worth that don't fit Grail value but can sell for more than the pins I need for my collection and traders that are worth less than the original retail that I use to trade for my sons pins: vinylmations, HM, ect.

I hated that I made an offer then the trader looked at my traders and then counter offered a pin that I did not want to offer.

I do have a few Grails that I put on this name but that's for pins in my collection that I would want a multitrade. But a Grail that I could afford to offer at some time. My Grail ID is more like a database because there are few wants in than name.

But like some members, they put some Grails on their trades for certain trades they are looking for and will "no thank you" to members that don't fit their wants for that certain pin. Grail is relative to the member. My Grail is so different from your Grail but there are Grails that everyone eventually will call a Grail.

So good luck in getting your Grail or trying to get somone to trade theirs.

So get out there and trade.

I don't know, the whole term 'Grail' ('Holy Grail') to me denotes a pin that you really really really want. In that case, you wouldn't trade it. If you are willing to trade it, then (by my thoughts) it's not really a Grail, just a pin you like.

We list Grails in our collection only, unless when we get the pin it does not live up to our expectations or we change our mind about what we want to collect. When that happens, we will move it back and forth from our collection to our trades, depending on the number of ridiculously lopsided requests we receive for it. For my Jessicas, I keep a separate PinPics ID with just "owns" so that I do not get requests from individuals to trade from my collection.

I don't know, the whole term 'Grail' ('Holy Grail') to me denotes a pin that you really really really want. In that case, you wouldn't trade it. If you are willing to trade it, then (by my thoughts) it's not really a Grail, just a pin you like.

Agreed. I think it is just poor terminology. There is a difference between a Grail pin, my Grail pin, and a difficult to find pin. To me:

My Grail Pin: is the one pin I don't have that I want more than any other pin that I don't have. This usually correlates with being an extremely difficult pin otherwise, since I want it so badly, I would have it by now. And since it is my Grail, once acquired, there is nothing I would want to trade it for so it is in my collection and it is there to stay.

A Grail Pin: a pin you want to trade for your Grail or one that others consider to be their Grail.

A Difficult to Find Pin: a pin that isn't necessarily Grail status but it is difficult to find and therefore you won't trade it for just anything.

I...well, I used to until a recent trade....have pins on my trades list that are absolutely for trade but are saved for my Grail pins. So, I think that is maybe what the person meant but didn't articulate it properly.

I can see what you mean erica as I have a few pins on my trades that I want to save to get some of my grails so I wouldnt want to trade them for just anything but that said they were purchased solely to trade but then I have to make some exceptions if I get a good enough trade request for pins on my wants list.

Agreed. I think it is just poor terminology. There is a difference between a Grail pin, my Grail pin, and a difficult to find pin. To me:

My Grail Pin: is the one pin I don't have that I want more than any other pin that I don't have. This usually correlates with being an extremely difficult pin otherwise, since I want it so badly, I would have it by now. And since it is my Grail, once acquired, there is nothing I would want to trade it for so it is in my collection and it is there to stay.

A Grail Pin: a pin you want to trade for your Grail or one that others consider to be their Grail.

A Difficult to Find Pin: a pin that isn't necessarily Grail status but it is difficult to find and therefore you won't trade it for just anything.

I...well, I used to until a recent trade....have pins on my trades list that are absolutely for trade but are saved for my Grail pins. So, I think that is maybe what the person meant but didn't articulate it properly.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back