• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Fake Scar Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake Scar Pin?

Shadowfall

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I need some help in figuring out which, if either, of a pair of Scar pins I have are fake or not.
The pin in question is [pinpics]18621[/pinpics] - DLR - Villains Series (Scar)

Just so I don't get them mixed up, I'll refer to them as Pin #1 & Pin #2.

Pin #1 has a white frame with solid gold metal stripes and has a waffle textured back.
Pin #2 has a white frame and black stripes outlined in very thin gold lines and has a 'speckled' texture back.

This is a picture of both pins. The top one is pin #1 and the bottom is #2. It was hard to try and get the solid colored stripes to show up, but I think I finally got it.

I also took pictures of the logos on the backs of both, Pin #1 here & Pin #2 here but they look pretty good which is why I can't tell which if either is fake.

So any help here? Pinpics doesn't have any sort of scrapper/fake alert up for this pin, so I'm at a loss. Thanks!

just a guess. i think number 2 is real. sumthing about color and the back of #1 seems off

They both could be real. It is an OE pin so there could have been different runs of it. Lots of older OE pins have variations because they were re-released.

I don't really know, being relatively new to pins and spotting bad ones myself, but something seems weird about these two pins. I suppose I could understand re-release variations, but the backs look completely different (the waffling) and I think I remember reading somewhere that if the word Official in the logo on the back extends out into the Mickey ears there's a high chance the pin is a fake. From what it looks like, I'd say #2 is real and #1 is a fake. Would definitely be best if someone else who actually owns the pin could compare, though.

The authentic, original pin is of gold metal and is quite heavy and nice quality. The stripes on the front of the pin are undoubtedly gold - with no "lines" on the paint surface. Rich bold colors, not dull like the scrappers that have no glossy finish. One pin post with no nubs. Pin has the following backstamp in a square box:

ODPT 2002 Logo
"Scar"
(c)Disney
China

Thats from Pinpics,I am sure everyone has seen,I have one,but is packed away somewhere..who knows
But I think the first one is a scrapper and that second one is real,JMO there

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back