• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DLR Going to DLR TOMORROW! Got questions and will anyone else be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLR Going to DLR TOMORROW! Got questions and will anyone else be there?

watzshakinbacon

B for Belle or B for bacon?
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
  1. When people wear lanyards, are those pins usually for showing off your collection or for trade?
  2. If they are for show, do you take pins off your cork board just for your trip?
  3. Are there any good spots for trading with CMs or non CMs? I heard that the hotels have boards, too?
  4. When you trade with CMs, are you allowed to inspect the pins to make sure they're not fake?
  5. Are there any pins that would be worth keeping eye out for in terms of trading or buying?

I think that's it for now. If you can share any tips, that'll be greatly appreciated! Thanks

P.S. If anyone is going to be at DLR/DCA tomorrow, I'll be free after 4pm ish! (Going with a big group and we're doing a lot of stuff together in the daytime)

Since I'm at WDW, I can't help much. But I will give my two cents worth on #4:

I typically consider it bad form to really inspect the pins in front of the owner (be it a CMs lanyard or anyone else). Most scrappers you'll get a good idea about because you'll see them EVERYWHERE. But consider that when you stop a CM to trade, they've probably been stopped about 15 times in the last hour for the same reason. So to make a lengthy inspection only to conclude that you don't want anything, or worse that you tell them the pins are fake.

My motto with pin trading from the lanyards, Scrappers Happen. Just grab what you like, check it out when you're not directly in their line of vision any more, and if it's fake, put it back on your lanyard and send it back into the wild. Then more you trade, the better you'll get at spotting them. But trust your institution on a pin. If it looks funky and came from a lanyard, it probably is fake. But some of those can be equally as endearing too. :)

Study up on the new ones! Those will be your safest bet. :) have a blast!

~Merlin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Since I'm at WDW, I can't help much. But I will give my two cents worth on #4:

I typically consider it bad form to really inspect the pins in front of the owner (be it a CMs lanyard or anyone else). Most scrappers you'll get a good idea about because you'll see them EVERYWHERE. But consider that when you stop a CM to trade, they've probably been stopped about 15 times in the last hour for the same reason. So to make a lengthy inspection only to conclude that you don't want anything, or worse that you tell them the pins are fake.

My motto with pin trading from the lanyards, Scrappers Happen. Just grab what you like, check it out when you're not directly in their line of vision any more, and if it's fake, put it back on your lanyard and send it back into the wild. Then more you trade, the better you'll get at spotting them. But trust your institution on a pin. If it looks funky and came from a lanyard, it probably is fake. But some of those can be equally as endearing too. :)

Study up on the new ones! Those will be your safest bet. :) have a blast!

~Merlin

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thank you for that! I've asked some other ppl these questions but didn't really get any answers about #4. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. When people wear lanyards, are those pins usually for showing off your collection or for trade?
  2. If they are for show, do you take pins off your cork board just for your trip?
  3. Are there any good spots for trading with CMs or non CMs? I heard that the hotels have boards, too?
  4. When you trade with CMs, are you allowed to inspect the pins to make sure they're not fake?
  5. Are there any pins that would be worth keeping eye out for in terms of trading or buying?

I think that's it for now. If you can share any tips, that'll be greatly appreciated! Thanks

P.S. If anyone is going to be at DLR/DCA tomorrow, I'll be free after 4pm ish! (Going with a big group and we're doing a lot of stuff together in the daytime)

1. Really depends on the lanyard! If you see someone with a very themed lanyard (all Rapunzel pins, say), it's typically full of keepers. The best way to find out is probably to ask, as long as you're not bothering someone who doesn't appear to be pin trading.
2. This also just depends on personal preference. I don't like to keep moving my pins back and forth between displays, so I have pins for my cork boards and pins that live on my lanyards (which are just for display). You should do whatever you feel comfortable with.
3. I haven't traded with CMs at Disneyland or DCA, but I've seen pin boards at Westward Ho Trading Co. in Frontierland and 20th Century Music Co. on Main Street. There should be plenty of other stores that have pin boards as well. As for non-CMs, the two biggest spots to trade in the park are on the benches by the entrance to Frontierland and at the tables behind Goofy's Sky School in DCA. From what I've heard, most of the trading in DCA takes place on the weekends, especially Sunday.

Have a fun trip!

it depends. Are the pins less than $10 or so? If so, then they are usually for trade. If they are grail type pins, they are for the collection and showing off. Also, look at the type of lanyard they are wearing (not just the pins). If it's not the generic Disney thin one, then usually they are collection pins.

Some people do, some people just use the lanyards (that they either make themselves or have someone else make) as their display pieces.

I've heard near Goofy's Sky School in DCA with non-CMs. For CMs, go into the stores and check all the hotels too (although with the new security in DTD, it might not be worth it to go there unless you're leaving for the day.

You can ask to see a pin closer if you want to inspect.

Maybe the new Hidden Mickeys or any new PWP pins (trading off CM lanyards). Buying, not really.

it depends. Are the pins less than $10 or so? If so, then they are usually for trade. If they are grail type pins, they are for the collection and showing off. Also, look at the type of lanyard they are wearing (not just the pins). If it's not the generic Disney thin one, then usually they are collection pins.

Some people do, some people just use the lanyards (that they either make themselves or have someone else make) as their display pieces.

I've heard near Goofy's Sky School in DCA with non-CMs. For CMs, go into the stores and check all the hotels too (although with the new security in DTD, it might not be worth it to go there unless you're leaving for the day.

You can ask to see a pin closer if you want to inspect.

Maybe the new Hidden Mickeys or any new PWP pins (trading off CM lanyards). Buying, not really.

Thanks for sharing all that! What does PWP mean (in your last paragraph)?

Since I just returned from DLR after being in the park for 6 straight days, I will offer my 2 cents.

1. When people wear lanyards, are those pins usually for showing off your collection or for trade? Both, I wore one for "showing off" and one for trading.
  2. If they are for show, do you take pins off your cork board just for your trip? I have several lanyards that I interchange for wear at DLR and pin events. I am proud of my collection and I enjoy showing them to others.
  3. Are there any good spots for trading with CMs or non CMs? I heard that the hotels have boards, too? I looked at every board and lanyard and found zero pins worth trading for. 99.9% are scrappers and the rest are maybe booster or AAA type pins. It used to be so fun trading there. I even bought some of the monorail mystery pins and tried to trade them to complete the set but I only found two traders at DCA and they did not buy any of those sets.
  4. When you trade with CMs, are you allowed to inspect the pins to make sure they're not fake? Sure, but see #3
  5. Are there any pins that would be worth keeping eye out for in terms of trading or buying? There are always LE pins released in the parks on Thursday. You never know what will be popular. They are such high LE's though that few are highly valued. It does not stop me from collecting them and bringing back others to try and trade at my pin meets.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage you from the quest of finding that one pin on a lanyard that you will treasure.

PWP = Pin With Purchase

#5 You can always take a look in the glass case in each place that sells pins. They will have new limited edition pins that are available. Most people seem to agree that these aren't necessarily good traders but if you see something you like for your own collection, grab one, because they won't be around forever.

Have fun!!! :tigger:

It is a disappointment the pin boards at DLR are full of scrappers. I now only trade real Disney pins to the boards, but so far I have never had the courage to inspect and then reject a pin I traded for, so I try to keep my costs down (eg: last year I bought quite a few 2015 booster sets at the outlet store for about $10 each). That way when I get the scrapper (as is usually the case) at least I did not trade a more expensive pin to the board. I keep hoping others will see my decent/real traders on the board and be inspired to do the same and the quality on the boards will rise. I know... good luck with that one... Haha.

The hotels do trade. The stores, the valets, and the concierge are usually places to trade in hotels. The hotels have a daily pin trading event at 4:15PM in their lobbies. I find the Grand Californian's to be the best. You might need to ask the hotel staff if the event will be happening and I have noticed I am more likely to gain a positive response, if my 10 year old daughter is with me. After trading with the hotel staff, I stay and trade with the other traders who show up.

It is a disappointment the pin boards at DLR are full of scrappers. I now only trade real Disney pins to the boards, but so far I have never had the courage to inspect and then reject a pin I traded for, so I try to keep my costs down (eg: last year I bought quite a few 2015 booster sets at the outlet store for about $10 each). That way when I get the scrapper (as is usually the case) at least I did not trade a more expensive pin to the board. I keep hoping others will see my decent/real traders on the board and be inspired to do the same and the quality on the boards will rise. I know... good luck with that one... Haha.

The hotels do trade. The stores, the valets, and the concierge are usually places to trade in hotels. The hotels have a daily pin trading event at 4:15PM in their lobbies. I find the Grand Californian's to be the best. You might need to ask the hotel staff if the event will be happening and I have noticed I am more likely to gain a positive response, if my 10 year old daughter is with me. After trading with the hotel staff, I stay and trade with the other traders who show up.

Ok, good to know about the daily pin trading events. I'll check that out. Thanks for the tips!

If youre still out and about the people wearing lanyards and working will usually have the newer pins. Look for leads or managers as they usually get to put new ones on more often.

Also if you have the chance, im a custidian sweeping the libes of matterhorn and small world, if you see me please say hi! XD

(Nametag is carissa!)

If youre still out and about the people wearing lanyards and working will usually have the newer pins. Look for leads or managers as they usually get to put new ones on more often.

Also if you have the chance, im a custidian sweeping the libes of matterhorn and small world, if you see me please say hi! XD

(Nametag is carissa!)

Hi Carissa, thanks for the tip! I found one of the new hidden mickeys and got a couple others (one turned out to be a scrapper, but I still like it). I'm currently at the Grand Californian Hotel, so not sure if I will go back to DLR. In that case, hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back