• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Going to WDW and I need advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to WDW and I need advice :)

Ozzie1988

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So it's my first time going to WDW and I know nothing of it, any advice? Pin wise and none I want to see everything in the week that I am going. Also where do you go to pin trade? When is the best times to go, is there anything I should look out for should I bring all my books?

The trading is not the same as Disneyland. No on really goes to one place and trades, like LGM.

Trading is mostly done with cast members, but it seems like there are a lot of AP & PP pins on the lanyards there, so keep an eye out.

Ask people from the forum to meet you somewhere in the parks, like Contempo Cafe, to do some trading. That is what I did, and where I did most of my trading.

Stood at the tables, which I heard have been removed again, at Epcit, but it was pretty dead! People came up but mostly ones with no pins to trade.

Find Scoop. I missed out on that. :-(

Most of all, have fun!

Vicki

It depends when you are coming. If there is a PTN while you are here that will definitely make a difference. I haven't been out to the parks lately, but its pretty much just lanyard trading with the CMs and random people. I am not sure if the Epcot tables are there - they weren't last time I checked. :( It has been rough trading around here lately and I have been relying on DPF and PinPics for my trades. If anyone knows of a place please correct me - and I will go there too!! ;)

All of wdw in a week? :roll: Good luck. I'll write more detailed thoughts later. Myers bring your bags. DLR and soda fountain pins will trade very well.

Downtown Disney and resorts can be good spots to trade. Ask to see pin boards if available (at resorts) or pin books (pin kiosks in Tomorrowland, DTD West Side).

Find Scoop!

The areas less traveled can yield great pins ( dead spots in DHS, smaller/less popular countries in EPCOT, Animal Kingdom)

Have fun!!!

So it's my first time going to WDW and I know nothing of it, any advice? Pin wise and none I want to see everything in the week that I am going. Also where do you go to pin trade? When is the best times to go, is there anything I should look out for should I bring all my books?

First and foremost have a great time. Having visited WDW and then having lived in Orlando for a couple of years, it will be hard to "see and take in" all of WDW in a week. I tried to do the same thing on my first trip...I came home more exhausted then when I went. A lot of how much you can see and do will depend when you are going. My favorite time to visit WDW is during the "slow" season...September, October, Early November, Early December, January and February. There are a lot less people, relatively speaking, so wait times are less which can allow you to see and do more.

As for pin trading here are a couple things I can suggest:
1.) Most trading will be done with cast members. A few people will set up tables out side the Pin Trading Station at Downtown Disney. I usually stay away from those folks personally...I personally believe they are praying on the families with little kids who see pins they like on the boards or in the books. Just my opinion.
2.) I think some of the best trading is actually done in the WDW resorts. Most resorts will have pin boards they pull out a couple times per day. And if you ask nicely, they'll usually pull them out at any point.
3.) Stop at all guest service locations...they have a pin book.
4.) In the resorts, stop at all concierge desks, they have pin books....and in a lot of cases access to a huge stash if you are looking to complete a hidden mickey set.
5.) Shift change in the stores and the resorts are a great time to find pins. Shift change usually occurs around 3:00 PM.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip and magical experience.

I was there Dec 15-24 but I didn't start pin trading until my 4th day and this was my first time. I think the lanyards were full of a lot of scrappers. I am trying to verse myself in what they are but that is what it seemed to me. Very sad. The tables in epcot we were told were gone for the holidays. But there were an older couple trading by the pin trader kiosk in the middle. Don't know if others will follow suite. Good luck!

Make sure when you are trading to ask if you can take the pin and look at it. Check the back and the sides and make sure they are smooth with no rough patches which can be a sign of a scrapper. Also make sure there are no dips in the paint and if you feel the coloring may be off on the pin it could be a scrapper. I cant wait for my trip 2014 you are going to have a great time there. If you like pretzels,cheese, and jalapenos try the cheese and jalapenos stuffed pretzel in animal kingdom I loved it.

Pin trading at WDW is pretty much non-existent. Besides pin trading with cast members from their lanyards (which are almost always full of scrappers and common pins), there are tables next to epcot pin station. The tables are gone for the holidays and from what I heard they won't be back till the near end of this month. With that said, be careful trading at those tables. There are tons of sharks looking for an easy target and they always want more than what they can offer and expect you to buy from the store. I watched this one family (who are supposedly there every weekend) tell guests how rare their pins are and how hard it is to get them. Then I find out their pins are from the disney outlet shops at international drive Orlando. Not to mention alot of their pins in their boards are counterfeits. So whatever you do, be careful and have fun!!! There are some pin traders who are fun and fair, but just keep a watch out for those that are out to get you...

I trade a lot at WDW. I always carry at least one pinbook with me and before/after riding/shows I will break it out and trade with folks. The Epcot tables are always a good place (when they are there) but I find lots of other places to trade.

I always look for other traders. Anyone with a serious lanyard, anyone with a large or small pin book, anyone seriously looking at pins at one of the shops, folks trading with Scoop. I engage them in conversation and ask if they are trading or looking for anything. I almost always get good conversation. A few people will look at me like I have a horn growing out of my head but most are happy to talk pins and look at my book, show me theirs, ask questions, etc.

I almost always also line up some meetings with other traders in our hotel or another good public place. That almost always draws a crowd and sometimes some other pin traders.

If it's slow, I will wear two lanyards or a button saying that I trade, etc. Some of my best trading has been ad hoc meetings with other traders. One night at the Biergarten my son and I met a nice lady and we traded a couple of pins with her. I ran into her the next day in the MK. That was about 4 years ago. We have become good friends and almost always make a point of meeting up on our trips to Disney.

I've also found good trading by stopping at the tables in the alley next to the jewelry store and various other places around WDW. If you open a pin book in any restaurant in the parks, prepare for interruptions to your lunch. Folks will come up and want to talk pins, look at your book and maybe trade.

So, bring your bags? Yes!!! But carry them with you if you fly. Don't check them. Be prepared for TSA to examine them pretty closely and it's a good idea to tell them in advance what they are going to see.

As for seeing all of WDW in a week, it simply can't be done. Especially if you are going to trade at all. Plan on a minimum of 1 day for each park just to hit the highlights. Or, do your research before you go and narrow down what you want to do. For example, we typically don't do the water parks. And we usually don't spend much time in AK. Not many attractions there for us. We will occasionally re-visit the Safari or what have you. Sometimes we will go in a morning and hit Everest a few times and then flee the park quickly before it gets busy. That leaves us more time for MK, Epcot and HS. As for our must dos?

WEDWay People Mover
Carousel of Progress
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
Big Thunder
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Splash Mountain
Country Bears
Teacups

Soarin
Test Track
Mission Space
Biergarten (show and meal)

Toy Story Midway Mania
Tower of Boredom
Rock n Roller Coaster
Muppetvision 3d
Great Movie Ride
Star Tours

But bear in mind that we know WDW like the back of our hands and have done everything at least once and many things repeatedly. Also, note that we also do things like golf and fishing as part of each trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back