• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Greetings from a 11-Day Old Pin Collector!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from a 11-Day Old Pin Collector!

akaibara

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Hello everyone!! I'm so happy to find a living pin forum!
I'm very new to pin collecting! Started on Sept. 20 after a three-year internal debate whether I should collect pins or patches. I couldn't think of a way to display patches in an easy, fun way so pins won. Also trading pins appears to be far more popular and fun than trading patches.

I'm eager to meet new people online to trade with since I don't get to go to the parks that often. :( If I did, I probably would have started this new obsession much much earlier.
DLR - 1989 & 2003
WDW - 1998

I've decided to mainly collect Nightmare Before Christmas pins (good timing, huh?) because I have loved the works of Tim Burton ever since Beetlejuice and Donald Duck becuase who doesn't love that irritable white duck? ;) (My avatar is my current fave pin in my collection.) I love Goofy too. I also want to collect pins that have food in them, especially those with cake or other baked goods, since I'm trained as a pastry chef although I'm not one at the moment due to an allergy to a common ingredient. I do bake a cake at home every month or two though and I like seeing characters doing the same, especially when something goes wrong, lol.

If you look at my wants list, it's huuuuge!! I haven't even been through all the pages on pinpics yet so I'm sure there's more to come as I see ones I like. You'll notice there's a lot of Pooh. Pooh was my obsession during middle school. Although he (and Tigger) aren't a high priority these days they're not forgotten, I'd love to get a few nice pins. Particularly those ones from HK and Tokyo where they've made the characters even cuter, somehow. So cute it hurts.

Due to my location in New York, I'm able to get NYC exclusive pins from the Disney Store in Times Square. If at the time I'm unable to trade due to my budget, I'll gladly shop for you. If you learn of any events happening at that store, please let me know because I don't keep up with that news.

I'm also looking for expert advice on those pesky fake/bootleg/scrapper pins floating around on eBay. I'm very glad I stumbled some of the threads here during my research as I was considering buying a pin lot from eBay. Instead I marched myself to the nearest Disney Store and bought my first pins from there. A couple of them weren't on pinpics yet so I added them. I also recently bought some single pins from eBay from some highly recommended sellers and while I believe most of them are authentic there are a few questionable ones I'd like looked at. When I get my pictures together, I'll create a new thread in the appropriate section.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck! That's a LOT of pins! Husband and I are at about 500 now, and we're running out of room!

The big apple! :eek:
Anyways, welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to post anything. You're always welcome here.
There are plenty of users here whom are willing to lend you a helping hand, don't be afraid of us! :D

Hiya! Welcome to DPF! I started pin trading about a year and a half ago and I love it so much. Hope you do too! :)

Laura

Thank you so much everyone for your warm welcome! This is one of the friendliest communities I've ever joined!

RumsGone, I can make a small detour on the way to/from work to stop by the store. I work three days a week. If you ever need anything feel free to PM me. :)

hi, welcome to dpf. let the pinsanity begin. since you are in new york maybe sometime you will have to check out central new jersey pin traders. they have a huge weekend trading event twice a year sort of close by in sommerset new jersey. its in april and october. trading starts on friday around noon and goes till sunday noon, around the clock if you want. people come from ohio, new york, florida, canada, and we drive from illinois. its held at a hotel there. great trading, last year came home with over 100 pins. plus the live chat here at dpf is a nice place to meet people and learn. happy trading. trudy.

hi, welcome to dpf. let the pinsanity begin. since you are in new york maybe sometime you will have to check out central new jersey pin traders. they have a huge weekend trading event twice a year sort of close by in sommerset new jersey. its in april and october. trading starts on friday around noon and goes till sunday noon, around the clock if you want. people come from ohio, new york, florida, canada, and we drive from illinois. its held at a hotel there. great trading, last year came home with over 100 pins. plus the live chat here at dpf is a nice place to meet people and learn. happy trading. trudy.

That sounds like fun! Which weekend is this event being held and is it possible to get there using public transportation? I... don't have a driver's license so I can't drive there. :(

Welcome to the shiny sensation! NY! You have some great pins from there too! Trading is one of the best things about DPF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back