• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How does one start trading in the "big leagues"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one start trading in the "big leagues"?

watzshakinbacon

B for Belle or B for bacon?
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
As you may know, I'm pretty new to trading and DPF, but I have already made quite a few trades (like 15!). As such, my traders have run low and people are not really wanting the leftovers. I'm just curious how to continue in trading. I've set a monthly budget for myself, and I feel like I want to get the most bang for my buck. Buy a pin lot from a reputable source (which is how I started), and then trade those. However, the pin lots are usually OE/ HMs, and I learned that people usually only trade LE or other LEs.

Has it come to the point that I have to buy some LE's and start using those to trade for other LEs? I guess I'm just curious if there's a best way to start trading and collecting those LE/ grail pins and how everyone else keeps disciplined instead of just blowing all their money on these awesome pins.

Hopefully, I was able to get my point across. I'm starting to wonder if $50 a month is enough of a pin budget! Thanks for reading :D

How I legitimately started out was buying small lots of movies I collected. Sometimes you luck out with an awesome pin or two for your collection. And when you buy a few of those you'll end up with a few traders because you get duplicates. For me it was the best way because I was focousing on making myself happy and not what I needed to trade, and I branched out from there.

I notice with most collectors they'll usually have a good amount traders in the same genre as what they collect because of this.

Later I started buying other things I liked new (I was working at DLR so I was ther all the time). But then I traded alot of those left because I was still discovering what I truly loved and what I would be able to honestly part with.

there are quite a few traders/resellers who will take smaller pins for bigger pins, since smaller pins are easier to sell. Find resellers looking for lower end pins and trade a bunch for higher end pins. How I started, I would have to trade nearly 100 HMs for one big Beloved Tales. But everyone loves Beloved Tales, so I was able to trade those for grails. As for pin budget, the best way to purchase grail pins or higher end traders, do pick ups. buy pins at cost and sell them for aftermarket price. consider that money as "pin money" and use that to purchase higher pins. in the end it'll be as if you spent $15 (cost) for a higher end pin.

How I legitimately started out was buying small lots of movies I collected. Sometimes you luck out with an awesome pin or two for your collection. And when you buy a few of those you'll end up with a few traders because you get duplicates. For me it was the best way because I was focousing on making myself happy and not what I needed to trade, and I branched out from there.

I notice with most collectors they'll usually have a good amount traders in the same genre as what they collect because of this.

Later I started buying other things I liked new (I was working at DLR so I was ther all the time). But then I traded alot of those left because I was still discovering what I truly loved and what I would be able to honestly part with.

Ok, thank you! Sounds like I might be just jumping the gun and trying to go too fast haha I bet it totally helped that you worked at DLR! I hope I can work for Disney Imagineering some day!

there are quite a few traders/resellers who will take smaller pins for bigger pins, since smaller pins are easier to sell. Find resellers looking for lower end pins and trade a bunch for higher end pins. How I started, I would have to trade nearly 100 HMs for one big Beloved Tales. But everyone loves Beloved Tales, so I was able to trade those for grails. As for pin budget, the best way to purchase grail pins or higher end traders, do pick ups. buy pins at cost and sell them for aftermarket price. consider that money as "pin money" and use that to purchase higher pins. in the end it'll be as if you spent $15 (cost) for a higher end pin.

Thanks for the tips! Do you have any advice on where to find such traders/ resellers? Also, I guess doing pick ups and reselling those are also a good idea. I just felt like people on DPF and various other social media don't like it when people do that (I guess it's cuz a lot of people are price gouging). I'm planning on going to the DSF LE release this saturday, so maybe I'll pick up some extra ones!

It's probably better to buy the grails you want.

Agreed!

Every once in awhile I'll luck out with a trade but my collection grows much more quickly when I hunt to buy vs. hunt to trade. And as stated, when you buy to trade you run the risk of ending up with pins people don't really want, not necessarily OE/HM either, but LE, too. I could list 10 OE pins on my wants list now that I'd be willing to trade LE's for, so don't rely too heavily on trades having to be entirely LE to LE or OE to OE. If I am in a position to buy a pin at cost that I absolutely adore and cannot live without regardless of edition size then I try to get a second one to trade later on. Otherwise, I just stick to spending money on pins for my collection now, and not some other possible-but-maybe-not futuristic trade later. :D

The flip side is, if you ignore the trade aspect entirely, you miss out on the opportunity to meet and interact with some truly wonderful people. Just take it slow and enjoy the hobby. Spend what you can, fawn over what you can't acquire at the moment and Pin-On! :)

Agreed!

Every once in awhile I'll luck out with a trade but my collection grows much more quickly when I hunt to buy vs. hunt to trade. And as stated, when you buy to trade you run the risk of ending up with pins people don't really want, not necessarily OE/HM either, but LE, too. I could list 10 OE pins on my wants list now that I'd be willing to trade LE's for, so don't rely too heavily on trades having to be entirely LE to LE or OE to OE. If I am in a position to buy a pin at cost that I absolutely adore and cannot live without regardless of edition size then I try to get a second one to trade later on. Otherwise, I just stick to spending money on pins for my collection now, and not some other possible-but-maybe-not futuristic trade later. :D

The flip side is, if you ignore the trade aspect entirely, you miss out on the opportunity to meet and interact with some truly wonderful people. Just take it slow and enjoy the hobby. Spend what you can, fawn over what you can't acquire at the moment and Pin-On! :)

Haha that's perfect! I think I will do that. There's no rush, I guess, and there will always be pins!

I recommend participating in a "game" here on the forum when you can afford it. (A spot is usually about $25, but can be higher or lower depending on the type of prizes available.) Some games have some GREAT low-LE or hard to find pins as prizes.

Check them out, and see if you like the pins offered. If you like a lot of them, you just pick a spot (usually a number), and the numbers all go in a randomizer once the game is full. If you picked a good number, you'll be one of the first to choose from all the pins available. I have found that even when I get one of the lowest numbers, and don't end up with a pin I really wanted, I usually still get something of a decent, comparable value to my entry fee, so it's not a big loss.

I live in Southern California, but don't make it to the Parks much, so DPF games are where I get most of my "good" traders.

Oooh....great timing for you to ask this question!! My hubby & I are downsizing our pin collection and I'm hoping to start a new game this weekend!! Loads of pins from our traders (PP: Dizfan). Sorry about this selfish ad, but if you check our traders, you will see many of those pins in the game (designers, stitch, etc).

Debbie

Many years ago...ok, maybe not quite 10, but almost....when I first got an annual passport to DLR (after a long hiatus), I would trade with cast members and get the newest hidden mickey pins. I would use those hidden mickey pins and trade with regular pin traders in the park for a rack pin. Then I'd trade those rack pins as multiples for "better" pins via PinPics (yeah, I can't believe it). Sometimes, I would collect the booster pack pins that other guests would trade, get the set of 7 (which back then sold for $20-25) and trade those 7 pins for a high LE DS or DA pin that was worth about that much as well.

Nowadays, people poo poo the hidden mickey pins (except for those that can sell them and are willing to accept hundreds of hidden mickeys for a "grail" pin because they only give you $2-3 credit for a HM pin that they can sell for $5-8). I still like the hidden mickey pins - well those that I would want to keep :)

I was fortunate enough that when I started collecting "traders", Disney was offering many pins at good discounts online and was able to purchase multiples. There are also sellers on DPF who you can trust that sell lots. This still happens occasionally, and there are other sites if you look hard.
Things have changed a lot. This is the best way at present...
throwing-money.gif

i was fortunate enough that when i started collecting "traders", disney was offering many pins at good discounts online and was able to purchase multiples. There are also sellers on dpf who you can trust that sell lots. This still happens occasionally, and there are other sites if you look hard.
Things have changed a lot. This is the best way at present...
throwing-money.gif

This. Is. The. Best! :rofl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back