• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to Determine Prices for Selling Part of My Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to Determine Prices for Selling Part of My Collection

WDWpinlover

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie when it comes to being on a pin forum and I've never tried to sell any of my pins before. As I've said on other threads, I have been collecting pins for 10+ years and have more than 1000.

My reason for posting is that for personal reasons I need to sell part of my collection, but don't know about how to set reasonable prices. Can anyone tell me how they determine what to charge for the pins that you list for sale? I don't want to overprice, but do need to recoup some of the funds I've spent over the years building my collection. I am also trying to avoid using ebay if at all possible.

Any advice that anyone here could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just went through that with one of my other collections, Transformers, selling quite a few that I have collected over the years to help pay for our wedding/honeymoon (at WDW of course), and the rule of thumb I went by that no one seemed to take issue with, I was recouping what I paid for them, nothing more, nothing less. Most people seemed happy with that, as there are others who massively overpriced and then the flaming starts about "How can you sell that for that price?!?"

I agree with Bill. For example I was trying to get some of the st paddy stitch pins and couldnt trade for them so I asked if they would sell them and I jumped on the chance to get some of them at cost value and shipping etc as going from experience then Id say even a little over cost is beneficial to pins that someone really wants as they are more likely to buy it rather than see an overpriced pin and think not paying that no matter how much they want it.

good luck sellinh your pins :)

Pins are sold based on supply and demand. You can see what other people are selling their pins for on this site as well as the going prices (selling price) on the Bay. There are plenty of sales threads on the boards here already so you can get a pretty good gauge.

If 5 people have the same pin for $10.00 and you think its a $30.00 pin, you may have t rethink.
Check out the sales threads and get a gut feel.

I would strongly recommend checking out ebay as a guide (pins that actually sold, not just asking price). I don't really believe in just recovering your costs. Some pins you may have purchased for $10 retail are only worth $4 or $5 today. On the other hand, some pin you may have had stashed away for years could be worth a lot more than you paid for them. If you post simply at the cost you paid then people are going to pick over your under priced pins and leave you with the ones you can't get rid of for what you paid and you will end up losing money. You need to make money where you can and take the loss where you have to and hopefully you will break even in the long run.

I don't know which pins you are planning on selling, but in looking at your collection you have some nice ones and depending on when you bought them you could very likely get more than what you paid out of them.

Last edited:
Well if you have theme,like Mickey pins or so on..you can sell them in a group of that particular character
the DA pins and LE..I would list those seperately,I always buy pin lots for either zapping,exchanges and trading
So those always help

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back